Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One "custom target colors"  (Read 4023 times)

tmx3

Capture One "custom target colors"
« on: September 27, 2008, 05:47:47 pm »

Hi there. New to forum : )

In the levels component of the exposure tool there is a tickbox below the histogram "custom  target colors"  Can anyone explain this to me please? Thanks

Mike Arst

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 06:38:16 pm »

In the levels component of the exposure tool there is a tickbox below the histogram "custom  target colors"  Can anyone explain this to me please? Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225026\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'll sure be interested to hear the replies. But then I'm jealous that you can even see that part of the main window. I assume you're talking about C1 v.4. It was released with a bad screen-display bug whereby some users can't see the full curves panel -- I'm one of them. As someone who works for a software company, I found it astonishing that P.O. allowed this into the shipping version, and more astonishing yet that the maintenance releases haven't addressed the problem.

At least, the e-newsletters I have gotten from them so far, including news of their software, haven't mentioned any such fix. But then during the beta-test period, I observed in their forum that the company was mostly silent in the face of repeated end-user requests for improvements and certain bug fixes -- like that one. It left the distinct impression that they considered such bugs unimportant (which certainly didn't mesh with users' feelings, expressed in the forum, about bugs). If that isn't a fair judgment of PhaseOne, it beats me what other conclusion to draw about their attitudes...

tmx3

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 06:43:42 pm »

I'll sure be interested to hear the replies. But then I'm jealous that you can even see that part of the main window. I assume you're talking about C1 v.4. It was released with a bad screen-display bug whereby some users can't see the full curves panel -- I'm one of them. As someone who works for a software company, I found it astonishing that P.O. allowed this into the shipping version, and more astonishing yet that the maintenance releases haven't addressed the problem.

At least, the e-newsletters I have gotten from them so far, including news of their software, haven't mentioned any such fix. But then during the beta-test period, I observed in their forum that the company was mostly silent in the face of repeated end-user requests for improvements and certain bug fixes -- like that one. It left the distinct impression that they considered such bugs unimportant (which certainly didn't mesh with users' feelings, expressed in the forum, about bugs). If that isn't a fair judgment of PhaseOne, it beats me what other conclusion to draw about their attitudes...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi there.
I'm using capture one pro 3.7.6, which seems to work fine, though having had issues switching to an early version of leopard I sympathise!

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 07:48:58 pm »

In the levels component of the exposure tool there is a tickbox below the histogram "custom  target colors"  Can anyone explain this to me please?
It allows you to manipulate each red, green and blue channels' levels individually.

For example, when the box is unchecked and you move the highlight slider (on the right side) to 241, all channels are forced to highlight values of R=G=B=241. When the box is checked, you can adjust the highlight levels of each channel individually so that R≠G≠B.

Same goes for the midpoint and shadow value sliders.
~ CB

Mike Arst

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 08:13:58 pm »

I'm using capture one pro 3.7.6, which seems to work fine, though having had issues switching to an early version of leopard I sympathise!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225045\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ah, the pro version . . . have they released v.4 Pro yet? Anything in it that's making you lust to upgrade? I assume they'll be charging for it roughly what they charged for v.3 Pro -- but is this thing SO much better than, say, Lightroom that it's worth paying a "Lightroom++" price for it?

I used C1 v. 3.x only a little bit. When v.4 came out I thought: "what the heck, might as well -- free upgrade." So here's this extensively re-worked (or completely new?) code base -- and I was blown away by how crude some of the features are, such as the sometimes-dismal/sometimes-laughable "preferences" dialog and the 1990s-vintage color editing tool. If I were in a position to consider paying the "Pro" price, I would be very ticked off by that kind of crudity. But who knows -- maybe they're putting into "Pro" the development efforts they (IMO) should have, but didn't, put into the non-pro version...

Henry Goh

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 10:27:45 pm »

Hi there. New to forum : )

In the levels component of the exposure tool there is a tickbox below the histogram "custom  target colors"  Can anyone explain this to me please? Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225026\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is this on a Mac or Windows version because I cannot find it.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 10:39:30 pm »

Is this on a Mac or Windows version because I cannot find it.
I use the Mac/Pro version and it's been there for as long as I can remember.
~ CB

David Hufford

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 12:58:45 am »

Quote from: Mike Arst

If you are able to increase the resolution of your system (in WIndows click desktop properties and settings to do so) you will be able to use the curves tool. Unfortunately, the latest version of C1V4 requires even higher resolution displays. One can increase it even more by using the method above, but it will become extremely clumsy to use in my experience.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 09:59:34 pm »

Custom Target Colors allows you to adjust the values of your image to fit the parameters of output.  Here is a Phase One Knowledge Base Article to explain it in detail.

http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main

[attachment=9233:Picture_1.png]

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Mike Arst

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:39:36 pm »

Quote from: drichi
If you are able to increase the resolution of your system (in WIndows click desktop properties and settings to do so) you will be able to use the curves tool. Unfortunately, the latest version of C1V4 requires even higher resolution displays. One can increase it even more by using the method above, but it will become extremely clumsy to use in my experience.
I dunno...maybe when I have my larger (21") new LCD set up -- which, hopefully, I will be able to profile and calibrate correctly (haven't done that before with an LCD, and I'm expecting to have something of an adventure with it) -- this display problem will go away. The LCD monitor has substantially more "real estate" than my CRT monitor. I can imagine that C1 would become pretty clumsy if fooling around with resolution to that extent becomes necessary. The fact that this bug was left in the program despite plenty of complaints from people in the beta-test program is fairly disheartening. How tough would it have been to add a "hide histogram" control -- or even just a scroll bar? That combined with C1's rather crude color controls and its less than sterling noise-reduction with D3 high-ISO shots are pushing me away from upgrading it further. But it's still a killer app in terms of its ability to resolve fine image detail -- best I've seen so far -- and the processing speed is not bad at all. So at the same time that I find it fairly irritating in some respects I'm still not thrilled about just leaving it by the side of the road (which of course would be littering, and you can get a big ticket for that... :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up