Does anyone know when the AFi-II 10 (or the Sinar version) is slated to ship? If an expected ship date has been announced I have missed it.
This technology is quite likely to be my next digital back (pending image quality and pricing, of course...) I'd like to make some requests of Sinar and/or Leaf regarding this back, early on, if I may:
* Please, please provide a 4-channel histogram! It is very easy to clip specific colors without warning with a single-channel histogram.
* Please at least record, but ideally take advantage of the Hy6's color temperature sensor.
* Please record lens information (at least focal length), but ideally as specifically as possible. Even if a simple code was recorded to the file that was looked up by post-processing software on the computer and expanded to the proper and complete lens model/designation.
* Timezone support - I'd like to be able to tell the back what timezone I'm in and have that recorded in the file as well (EXIF doesn't support this but DNG/XMP does).
* "Virtual SensorFlex" - assuming SensorFlex only records the appropriate number of pixels for the aspect ratio being selected, it would be nice to still record all the pixels the senor saw but had the aspect ratio setting simply be metadata that allowed the image to be 'auto-cropped' in post. This would still give a very efficient workflow, but would allow the photographer to change her mind after the fact. Perhaps this is already how it works...
* Feature request - I'd love to see some form of integrated GPS solution.
* Would you consider supporting .DNG and .DNG + JPEG as standard, out-of-the-back all-in one file formats?
* I would also like to request considering extending the strategic alliance to Leaf's workflow tools? It would be nice to have a choice of Adobe, Leaf and Sinar workflow tools, for whatever worked best for the customer.
* I'm not sure what other cooling options are availabe and practical, but as a nature photographer, open vents make me nervous out in the field (think wet rainforest weather or Death Valley wind + sand... Fanless, vent-free cooling would be ideal.
* While I love having an extra 6GB of memory in the e75LV, the implementation does get in my way, as I a strict CF card shooter. Addressing the following would make CF card shooting a 'first class citizen', on par with shooting to memory:
- Preview disappears from screen once shot has been copied to CF card. No way to set the length of time or to override.
- Have to press 'down' button to begin reviewing card, but this setting does not stick. Must be done each time a picture is shot and the user wants to review from the card.
- First thing that is shown is a big sign over my image explaining how to get back to viewing memory. I have to press another button (each time a picture is shot that I want to review on the card) to dismiss this. No way to suppress this message.
- Have to change recording settings to keep Custom White Balance in memory in order to custom white balance from it. Then switch back to normal shooting (CF only) settings.
- When viewing last image from CF card, pressing 'right' does not wrap to first image. For impromptu review/shows, left-arrowing through hundreds of images to get to the beginning is painful.
- After taking the picture, it takes some time for the preview to appear. It can be several seconds before I can check my exposure/composition, and light/wildlife/scenes often do not stay still for that long.
* Allowing the back to be powered by the camera battery would permit single-battery operation in a pinch.
* The AFi-II 10's color scheme is lovely, without any of that blue-gray.
Thanks, as always, Thierry & Yair, for your superb and tireless support!