Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reorganized my portfolio  (Read 6546 times)

Ray

Reorganized my portfolio
« on: November 27, 2004, 05:51:16 pm »

Matthew,
Not a bad attempt for a beginner. I see you've been using an ND filter and/or polariser for some of those waterfall shots.

Maybe you are now ready to graduate to a DSLR    .

Ray

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 08:51:20 pm »

Well I'm not really a beginner anymore, so I guess that's bad  
As I recall, you first started getting interested in photography about 3 1/2 years ago, about the time I bought my D60. That makes you still a beginner in my books  :) .

The photos are nice. More than mere snapshots, but tend to be a bit chocolate-boxy, if you get what I mean.

semillerimages

• http://www.semillerimages.com
Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 11:32:56 pm »

Matthew, I think you have some quite spectacular images there, especially the trees with the snow on them (there were a few). Three years or thirty make no difference, pay no attention to those  who post with an obvious jealousy of what you have been able to capture.
Keep up the good work, you'll only get better

*steve
semillerimages.com

MatthewCromer

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 01:43:48 pm »

Thanks for the compliments!

Kate, yes I have used unsharp mask.  The originals are fairly sharpened.  However if you look at the "Large" or other views than "Original" you are seeing pbase's resampled image.  Unfortunately, pbase's resampling algorithm is quite soft indeed.

MatthewCromer

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 05:57:59 pm »

No Kate I didn't take it unkindly at all.  Thanks for your comments!  As my front page to the gallery states, you're more than welcome to print out a copy for yourself if you like.

It's quite annoying that the pbase resized images are so soft.  At some point I'll put up a site and host it on my home computer, once I swap out my old PC file server for a mac.  My laptop is a mac, but laptops don't make good web servers if you like to carry them with you!  And I'm not hosting a web server on a PC for various reasons.  So for now you all have to put up with pbase!

MatthewCromer

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 10:20:46 am »

Thanks FGARVIN!

My son and I backpacked in.  It's sort of becoming a family tradition -- I went with my dad. . .

Robt

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 01:05:49 pm »

opps
Robert Collins
Seattle

MatthewCromer

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 01:01:20 am »

. . .And wanted to share with the "regulars" here.

My Portfolio

Finally now I have time to watch the latest issue of LLVJ!

MatthewCromer

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 07:25:06 pm »

Well I'm not really a beginner anymore, so I guess that's bad    

As for the dSLR, I'm waiting on the one with a live LCD so I don't have to do the borg imitation with my face planted on the camera in order to compose.  That's just not how I care to work.  And you know how we artists are -- temperamental, irrational, and set in our ways!  I hope I don't have to wait too much longer because I'm getting impatient.  :(   Rumor is Sony and Panasonic have one in the works, maybe being announced at one of the trade shows early 2005.  For all we know Michael may have one in his coat pocket as we type, and is testing it under NDA.  I'm also looking for a substantial increase in pixel count over my 828, say 14+ megapixels!

MatthewCromer

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 10:00:33 pm »

Yeah, I guess 3 1/2 years is nothing to many of you.  So from that frame of reference beginner would be appropriate.  Although it's closer to 4 now.    

Yes I know the photos are a bit -- well calling them Thomas Kinkaidesque is going too far -- but perhaps the sugar content might be a bit dangerous for the insulin-dependant!  Not sure where that comes from -- probably parts of my personality that get no outlet whatsoever in my everyday life!   :laugh:

Now I think I'll dig through the forum and see what kinds of pictures the rest of you are taking. . .

katemann

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 12:57:55 pm »

Matthew, thanks for the photographs. I especially enjoyed your mountain scenes.

I wonder if you have ever tried using Unsharp Mask in Photoshop? I just mention it because I thought that your spectacular view of the trees from above (yellow and green) might have been a bit more spectacular with a certain digital sharpening.

It is good to see what others are doing!

Scott_H

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 06:51:24 pm »

I think you have some nice work there Matthew.
[url=http://scottsblog.my-expressions.co

katemann

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 05:08:13 pm »

Oh! I see what you mean Matthew. I hope you didn't take my comment unkindly. Your photos are gorgeous. I love the one with the hill, road and the trees in the forground.

FGARVIN

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 02:10:57 am »

Matthew, your portfolio is very nice. Did you hike to Havasu or fly in?

Robt

Reorganized my portfolio
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 01:05:04 pm »

Nice work.  Although I must say if most of you shooting is in North Carolina,  it does make it easier to craft a great image.

I too am a beginner, I bought my first slr in 1967 and I'm still trying to learn how to use it well.  Again Nice...
Robert Collins
Seattle
Pages: [1]   Go Up