Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod umbrella clamp  (Read 8856 times)

andybuk99

Tripod umbrella clamp
« on: September 26, 2008, 06:48:48 am »

I am starting a new series of shoots for a construction company and as its sods law that most of the days it will rain. So I was wondering if anyone had seen a clamp or other device for securing a golf umbrella or the like to a tripod. I am shooting MF Digital so waterproof covers are not going to be any good. Any ideas?

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Tripod umbrella clamp
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 07:42:23 am »

I am starting a new series of shoots for a construction company and as its sods law that most of the days it will rain. So I was wondering if anyone had seen a clamp or other device for securing a golf umbrella or the like to a tripod. I am shooting MF Digital so waterproof covers are not going to be any good. Any ideas?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

The purpose of a tripod is to be solid. Mounting an umbrella to it will compromise that. Now that I shoot mediumformat, I hold umbrella with one hand, and handle camera with other hand. Of course camera with strap around my neck. When I shot Nikon I used plastic bags that I pounched a hole at bottom in and attached to the lens sun shade by tape, then pulled it over camera. With medium format I find the sun shades too short to bother carry them. Just some thoughts...

Anders
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:43:00 am by Anders_HK »

andybuk99

Tripod umbrella clamp
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:13:01 am »

Hi,

The purpose of a tripod is to be solid. Mounting an umbrella to it will compromise that. Now that I shoot mediumformat, I hold umbrella with one hand, and handle camera with other hand. Of course camera with strap around my neck. When I shot Nikon I used plastic bags that I pounched a hole at bottom in and attached to the lens sun shade by tape, then pulled it over camera. With medium format I find the sun shades too short to bother carry them. Just some thoughts...

Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224562\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply. However if there are very high winds I will get someone to hold the umbrella, otherwise it will be stable enough on a large manfrotto. I could not possibly use the camera hand held for this type of work as I require manual focus and also the client would need to check the back/viewfinder.

Jerry Clement

• http://www.jerryclement.ca
Tripod umbrella clamp
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 08:30:03 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Not sure if this will help, however check it out.
[a href=\"http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html#UMBRELLA%20CLAMP%20RIG]http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html#UMBRELLA%20CLAMP%20RIG[/url]

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Tripod umbrella clamp
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 08:40:41 am »

I use a small, lightweight umbrella on my monopod for sun protection when I shoot soccer in the summer.  It doesn't take much breeze at all to really kick you around.  I would strongly advise using some sort of secondary stand — maybe a second tripod or lightstand or something — for the umbrella in the situation you describe.

Nill

ternst

Tripod umbrella clamp
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:00:04 am »

Andy:

I've been using a "charibrella" for years and it works great - cost $6 at Wal Mart. It is both an umbrella and a clamp w/gooseneck that is designed to attach to a stadium chair to use during football games. While they are often rare at Wal Mart, this is the season when they stock up - look for them in the sporting goods section. You can also find something like it online for just a few bucks more. If you are able to find them, buy several - they last me through a couple of months of heavy shooting in the woods and then it is time to replace. I've gone through a couple dozen of them. I not only use them to keep the camera dry while I shoot under dripping blufflines and near spraying waterfalls, I also use it to shade wildflowers or other macro subjects (I bought a case of their gray version so as not to induce a color cast).

It is correct that when the wind blows your tripod might not be too secure, although without the wind blowing I've never had any issues.

The clamp is really too small to go around most tripod legs, and I just attach the clamp with duct tape. A funny thing happened to my most recent tape job. My teenage daughter buys my duct tape, and naturally it ends up being a wild color. The last roll was bright PINK, but I used it anyway. I was part of a National Geographic article recently (it is in the current October, 2008 edition of the magazine - about the Ozark Highlands Trail), and when I went out with the photographer to shoot some photos of me shooting photos I noticed that just about every angle the photographer got had my bright PINK duct tapped-tripod pointing right at him! It was kind of funny but thankfully the photo of me they used did not run in the magazine but only in the online edition - and I think the pink tape is hidden by the pink wild azaleas I was photographing - that was a close one!

canlogic

• http://
Tripod umbrella clamp
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 02:34:20 pm »

I use the birdsasart clamp and find it works very well.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Tripod umbrella clamp
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 04:12:52 pm »

Is the current BAA rig the Avenger Add-a-Head on a Superclamp, or has it evolved into something else?  It's hard to tell from the website.

Nill
Pages: [1]   Go Up