Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3100 Best Use Questions  (Read 1516 times)

pierre.goyette

HP z3100 Best Use Questions
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:20:01 pm »

I recently purchased an HP z3100 which was on sale in Canada. $2098 + tx for a brand-spanking new z3100!  What a deal.

I've already done some test prints and with the built-in spectraphotometer, the quality of the prints are already quite impressive. But like everyone, I want the best out of my printer and I'm looking for expert feedback from others.

1) I am thinking of purchasing HP's Advanced Profiling Solution. I gather that profiling 1100 swatches instead of 468 produces better and more precise profiles.

Has anyone purchased HP's APS?  
  If so, do you see a visible difference in the quality of the prints?

If you haven't purchase APS, did you purchase another profiler which supports the embedded spectrophotometer ?

2) What about a RIP. I gather that RIPs provide (among other features) greater layout flexibility and better color.

Has anyone purchased HP's EFI Designer Edition 5.1 RIP for HP (XL) ? If so, is it worth the money? Do the prints look better (color or B&W) ?

If not, are you using another RIP such as Onyx with the z3100?

Btw, the printer *still* ships with the old starwheel rollers which leave marks on dark areas of high-gloss papers. I've ordered the fix from HP through the distributor and they will come and fix it for free. I'll add that the people at Mondrian-Hall have been very helpful throughout the entire process.

Thanks,

Pierre

Roscolo

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:21:36 pm »

Was that for the 24" or 42" model? I may have to purchase another z3100 if they're going to give them away!

pierre.goyette

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:33:25 pm »

That was for the 24" model. I don't know the price for the 42". I was told that the sale was until the end of September or "while supplies last".  Clearly, HP Canada wants to empty their warehouse to make room for the z3200...

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:55:35 pm »

Congrats on the new printer!!!

I'm very pleased with the APS and think it adds a lot.

To get the most out of the printer read the tech docs on paper types on the Z wiki.

I also recommend HP papers until you get used to the printer.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:57:35 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up