Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help picking  (Read 2376 times)

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
Need Help picking
« on: September 25, 2008, 07:24:54 pm »

Hi,

I'm a pro photographer from Brazil, and recently, on an increase on work towards portraits and weddings, I decided I might give it a go. Just, I'm very ill equipped for the task.

I'm mostly a studio girl this far, and my equipment was based on that. I don't have a camera flash, all mine are studio probes, and I don't have yet a decent portrait photography lens. I'm only on this business for a couple on years, and not so easy to get things started in Brazil.

I currently own a Sigma Macro 70mm f2.8 lens, which I love, and even do portraits with it, but I think it's very slow, and it's only perfect for food photos. I don't regret the purchase, even if it were 24-70, it wouldn't cut into a lens for events.

Anyway, I felt I should buy at least a Canon 580EXII flash, as a portable light source for the wedding, to go with the ones I am used to working with, and a 24-70 f2.8 pro grade lens. The question comes to mind when it comes to the lens.

I am split between two:

The Sigma AF 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/318-sigm...-report--review

The Canon 24-70L f2.8 USM
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/184-cano...-review?start=2

The first being a US$500 lens and the second a US$1200 lens. My problem is, according to that site, they're pretty much compatible, being the Sigma a bit more trustworthy and sharp than the Canon, for the overall price. And not being extremely, despite not being HSM ( Sigma's USM equivalent technology ).

I don't own a 24-70 right now, but I'd like to hear from you guys... which one would you go for? Considering the Canon is more than twice the price, is the quality difference worth every penny?

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Jessica
www.jessicaluchesi.com

Deep

Need Help picking
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:48:54 pm »

Hi,

I'm a pro photographer from Brazil, and recently, on an increase on work towards portraits and weddings, I decided I might give it a go. Just, I'm very ill equipped for the task.

I'm mostly a studio girl this far, and my equipment was based on that. I don't have a camera flash, all mine are studio probes, and I don't have yet a decent portrait photography lens. I'm only on this business for a couple on years, and not so easy to get things started in Brazil.

I currently own a Sigma Macro 70mm f2.8 lens, which I love, and even do portraits with it, but I think it's very slow, and it's only perfect for food photos. I don't regret the purchase, even if it were 24-70, it wouldn't cut into a lens for events.

Anyway, I felt I should buy at least a Canon 580EXII flash, as a portable light source for the wedding, to go with the ones I am used to working with, and a 24-70 f2.8 pro grade lens. The question comes to mind when it comes to the lens.

I am split between two:

The Sigma AF 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/318-sigm...-report--review

The Canon 24-70L f2.8 USM
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/184-cano...-review?start=2

The first being a US$500 lens and the second a US$1200 lens. My problem is, according to that site, they're pretty much compatible, being the Sigma a bit more trustworthy and sharp than the Canon, for the overall price. And not being extremely, despite not being HSM ( Sigma's USM equivalent technology ).

I don't own a 24-70 right now, but I'd like to hear from you guys... which one would you go for? Considering the Canon is more than twice the price, is the quality difference worth every penny?

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Jessica
www.jessicaluchesi.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used a Canon 24-70/2.8L lens for a couple of years and was extremely happy with it.  The Sigma version I tried first was, by comparison, softer.  I think it may have also lacked contrast, from memory.  I was using 35mm film at the time though.  If you are using a cropped sensor digital camera, things may be different.  For me, at the time, despite money being an issue, there was no contest and I have sold many photographes taken with that Canon lens.

I guess you can read reviews and so on but the best thing is to see if you can actually take some test photos and compare them.  I'd be surprised if you went for the Sigma after doing that but you might!
Don

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Need Help picking
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:20:38 pm »

I have never tried the sigma, but I can't say enough good about the tank they call the Canon 24-70 f/2.8.  The lens is fantastic.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
Need Help picking
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:27:18 pm »

As has been said above... I also can't speak highly enough of the 24-70. It's definantly my work horse lens. Images are sharp and colours a nice. The convenience and performance of this lens was more then a suprise for me. Only problems I have is a slight bit of red fringing on the outer edges, but it's so marginal, that it is easily overcome in post processing.

While I can't speak from personal experience, I've seen the 24-70 in action, and have heard that's it's not as quick (focus) wise, with slight colour cast (warmer)... As for performance, I've only heard good things, but that's from the 5D users, and can't say on higher resolution camera's.
They have the new HSM one though (wasn't it announced a few days ago?)

citizenjoe

• Antarctica 2016
    • www.HughConacher.com
Need Help picking
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:12:14 pm »

I, too, add my cudo's for the Canon 24-70.  It's my workhorse and I love it.  "Tank", however is an understatement!  

Cheers,
Hugh
Hugh, from Winnipeg.

graeme

Need Help picking
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:48:42 am »

I've just bought a copy of the Sigma AF 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro and I'm returning it because it isn't really any sharper than my EFS 17 - 85 and the focusing seems a bit unreliable.

It sounds like a lot of people have to try a few copies of this lens before they find a good one so I may try again.

Or I might wait for the new HSM version which seems to have gotten rid of the weird Manual / auto focus switching method.

I can't see me shelling out for the 24 - 70L but I might try and find one of these

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/186-cano...-report--review

Graeme

JessicaLuchesi

Need Help picking
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:35:15 pm »

Thanks everyone. Your input was really important. I'm surelly going for the Canon.

On an update, today I got the 580EX, and talked to a friend who actually owned both lenses. His comments were that when he had the Sigma, he loved it. It was a nice lens. But autofocus didn't work on his 20D at all, and sometimes he got some out of focus photos just because he had to manual focus all the time, which wasn't that reliable on a fast shooting.

So, last time he was in Miami, he got the 24-70L from Canon. He said it's impossible to compare, the sharpness is just amazing. Something he wouldn't dream when he had a lens such as the Sigma version as a basis. So, I guess that's it, I'll try to work a couple of shoots with my current gear, save the income, and buy the Canon as soon as possible.

Once again, thanks everyone for your input, I guess the price diference is really justified. Also, I don't want to buy a lens thinking I'll have to trade it in the future, loosing some money on the trade.

graeme

Need Help picking
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 06:52:38 am »

Good luck with Canon. Can you let us know how it works out for you?

Interesting that your friend's Sigma wouldn't work on the 20D, that's the camera I was using it on.

Graeme

JessicaLuchesi

Need Help picking
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 04:48:02 pm »

Well, on another update, my father will help me out with some money so I can get the 24-70L. I'm not happy to have to ask him for help, but at least it's nice to know I can count on him for that.

So, I'll be getting it tomorrow or wednesday, the shop already has one reserved for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up