Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 Crashes Whenever I Print  (Read 3211 times)

Photolandscape

CS3 Crashes Whenever I Print
« on: September 25, 2008, 01:17:56 am »

I have a Mac G5, running OS 10.4.11. I recently bought and installed Adobe CS3 Extended. All has gone well until this evening.

Everytime I try to print to my Epson 3800 through CS3, the program crashes. I've tried a couple of fairly large prints, as I normally do--30-50MB, tiff files.

When I go to the Print window, and click on the Print button, I get a message reading "The application Photoshop has unexpectedly quit." Quit indeed.

There are only three things that I can think of that could have triggered this.

1) my good old hardrive, 80GB, has just 338MB of available space, and I did get a message earlier today that my startup disk was nearly full. Also, when trying CS instead, I got the message that program couldn't initialize, because scratch disk was full.

2) When this all started, I did something stupid--was in the process of downloading updates for 10.4.11 from Apple. The computer was running very slowly at that point.

3) I tried to move my Nik Software plug-ins from my old CS2 to CS3. Couldn't get it to work, so dragged them to the desktop until everything else is resolved. Can't imagine that that would make much difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 02:55:03 am »

Have you defragged your drives lately?

Julie

Photolandscape

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:10:14 pm »

Have you defragged your drives lately?

Julie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224223\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Julie, thanks for writing back. I read some information last night about defragmentation on computers running OSX, and some people say it makes little difference--OSX does a much better job than previous versions of keeping files up to 20MB together in one place, but since mine are often 80MB, 120MB and more at times, I will try defragmenting. It turns out the most people recommend Disk Warrior--which fortunately, I already have. So I will run it and see if it can't fix my problems. I've used it before and it really seems to clean up and stabilize your system. I did try dumping some of the data off of my main HD, so I now have a little more than 2GB of available space on it, as Adobe recommends as a minimum.

Thanks again for the response.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:56:23 pm »

If you just moved your plug-ins from the CS2 directory to the CS3 directory, don't.   You need to uninstall them from CS2 and reinstall them in CS3.  I made that mistake when I first upgraded, and experienced many program crashes and other weird behavior until someone put me right.  After doing the uninstall-and-reinstall thing, everything worked fine.  Could that be your problem?

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

MorganAdam

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:09:46 pm »

I have the same computer set up and printer as you, and had trouble printing large files. Mainly, I would get a communication error from the printer. Until I got more memory (which has solved everything) I would prepare my large print, restart my computer and make the print first thing. Not a very practical solution if you're doing a lot of printing.

Other than more memory, you need to free up hard drive space. It's being used for scratch memory and will slow down a lot of things on your computer.

If your large print is making it to the print queue, you may still be able to print it without photoshop running.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:10:11 pm by MorganAdam »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 07:56:30 pm »

Quote from: Photolandscape
Everytime I try to print to my Epson 3800 through CS3, the program crashes.

Don't print?

LOL seriously - get a larger drive in there before you do anything else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up