Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing from LR to ipf printer with Leopard  (Read 8792 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Printing from LR to ipf printer with Leopard
« on: September 24, 2008, 09:54:41 pm »

With the great features of LR 2, I find myself printing more from LR, rather than going through PS.  Everything works great for my Epson printers, but I am struggling using my Canon ipf6100 using Leopard (OS X 10.54)

Basically the problem is turning of printer color management.  When printing from PS, I can disable the printer driver color management (color matching off).  In LR this option isn't available, but instead is set to a default of ColorSync.  Print quality is pretty poor ... looks like a case of double profiling.

After an hour or two on the internet, it appears the work around is to use the colorsync utility to assign the intended paper profile to the printer.  I haven't actually tried this yet, but it seems rather painful if using several different types of paper, requiring this process each time you use a different paper.

Am I missing something?  Anyone figure out an easy way to make this work?

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 01:29:57 pm »

Hi Wayne

I too am printing from LR2 and using an ipf6100.  After reading your post I looked at the settings
and noticed that the colorsync setting is shown.  On reverting to LR1, the driver shows 'no colour
adjustment'.  It is something I had not noticed since upgrading to LR1.  However, my prints seem to be absolutely fine!  Maybe I am just lucky.  My paper is almost exclusively Permajet Oyster at the
moment and I am printing huge runs of wedding pictures from roll paper.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has any comments on this.

Jim

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 01:51:23 pm »

Just a quick update.

Incidentally I too am using a Mac with the latest updates.

A few minutes ago I reprinted a 14x11 inch print. The first had gone through Lightroom 2 in the usual way using my custom profile. Then I have printed the same picture from the Canon ipf print plug-in.
The two prints are identical as far as I can see.

Lastly I have printed the picture directly from Photoshop, again using my own profile, and setting
'no colour correction'. (or is that color)!  The result is...  exactly the same again.

To my eye the three are indistinguishable, and also exactly as they appear on my monitor.

Of course you will have to trust me on this  

Then again, I might just be lucky!

Jim

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 01:57:48 pm »

Just a quick update.

Incidentally I too am using a Mac with the latest updates.

A few minutes ago I reprinted a 14x11 inch print. The first had gone through Lightroom 2 in the usual way using my custom profile. Then I have printed the same picture from the Canon ipf print plug-in.
The two prints are identical as far as I can see.

Lastly I have printed the picture directly from Photoshop, again using my own profile, and setting
'no colour correction'. (or is that color)!  The result is...  exactly the same again.

To my eye the three are indistinguishable, and also exactly as they appear on my monitor.

Of course you will have to trust me on this  

Then again, I might just be lucky!

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks.  I'll test it more.  Maybe the double profiling problem is user caused.

I assume you were letting LR 2 set the output profile, and not having the printer manage the color?

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 04:30:36 pm »

Yes, I select my profile in the colour management section of LR.

Good luck.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:15 pm »

The new 1.91 drivers on the Japanese site fix the PSCS4 and LR2.1 double profiling problems with the iPF9000.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...en&ie=UTF-8

The Color Matching selection in the driver setup are still grayed out but in Main/Color/Set/ No Correction in now the choice. No more double profiling in LR2.1 or PSCS4 when I printed a test. Plugin still works fine.

I can also select Fast Graphic Process but I still cannot select monochrome.

All I did was install the iPF81009100-Drv-MacX5-191. I did not add any printers. Just installing this driver fixed this problem.

I suspect for those with the iPF5000 installing the 1.90 driver would fix this as well.

Doyle

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:26:26 pm »

There is an easy fix for Printing from LR with an IPF X100 series printer to avoid the double profiling.

Go into ColorSync from Lightroom and select Vendor Matching [which turns off color management] and then in the color management tab  select 'No Correction' and select the profile from Lightrooms Right hand tab as normal.

doing this gets rid of the double profiling.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 07:10:51 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
There is an easy fix for Printing from LR with an IPF X100 series printer to avoid the double profiling.

Go into ColorSync from Lightroom and select Vendor Matching [which turns off color management] and then in the color management tab  select 'No Correction' and select the profile from Lightrooms Right hand tab as normal.

doing this gets rid of the double profiling.

This is confusing. How do you go into ColorSync from LR2.1? In the Leopard print driver dialog?

Color Matching is the only selection I know of in the Leopard print driver dialog. And with LR2.1 Both options Colorsync and Vendor Matching are grayed out. One time in the Print Settings they are not grayed out but if you choose Print One it will work but the next time you try it they will be grayed out. You have to restart LR to get it back.

Color Management Tab where? Only place I know where it is in the printer driver setup under Main/Color Mode/Set/Matching. In the old drivers with Color Matching grayed out it defaulted to ColorSync with no way to change it. In the new drivers Color Matching is grayed out but is defaulted to No Correction in Main/Color Mode/Set/Matching.

Doyle

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 08:25:58 pm »

Quote from: DYP
This is confusing. How do you go into ColorSync from LR2.1? In the Leopard print driver dialog?

Color Matching is the only selection I know of in the Leopard print driver dialog. And with LR2.1 Both options Colorsync and Vendor Matching are grayed out. One time in the Print Settings they are not grayed out but if you choose Print One it will work but the next time you try it they will be grayed out. You have to restart LR to get it back.

Color Management Tab where? Only place I know where it is in the printer driver setup under Main/Color Mode/Set/Matching. In the old drivers with Color Matching grayed out it defaulted to ColorSync with no way to change it. In the new drivers Color Matching is grayed out but is defaulted to No Correction in Main/Color Mode/Set/Matching.

Doyle

No - You access the Color matching dialogue from the left tab of lightroom - 'Print Settings'.

Color Sync and Vendor matching are not greyed out for me - running LR2.1 with the latest OSX. you are correct that they will not be greyed out the first time, but subsequently. So - when you go in the first time SAVE the settings you make.

The Color management tab is also accessed from 'Print Settings' in the left hand tab of Lightroom. It should be set to no correction.

sorry if my description was confusing - I am working on my laptop and dont have the drivers installed on it - they are on my studio machine where the IPF5100
is. So am describing it from memory.

Anyway - if you set 'Vendor Matching' and 'No Correction' you will get good accurate prints without double profiling.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:27:19 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 08:32:15 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
No - You access the Color matching dialogue from the left tab of lightroom - 'Print Settings'.

Color Sync and Vendor matching are not greyed out for me - running LR2.1 with the latest OSX. you are correct that they will not be greyed out the first time, but subsequently. So - when you go in the first time SAVE the settings you make.

The Color management tab is also accessed from 'Print Settings' in the left hand tab of Lightroom. It should be set to no correction.

sorry if my description was confusing - I am working on my laptop and dont have the drivers installed on it - they are on my studio machine where the IPF5100
is. So am describing it from memory.

Anyway - if you set 'Vendor Matching' and 'No Correction' you will get good accurate prints without double profiling.

I understand what you saying but the new drivers version 1.90 will fix this so that under Print or Print Setting after printing once or canceling it, you will always default to No Correction. No need to restart LR to get that back.

Doyle

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 04:47:53 am »

Kudos to Canon for updating the drivers.
Eric Chan

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 06:59:05 am »

Quote from: madmanchan
Kudos to Canon for updating the drivers.

But what is crazy is that Canon's DPP3.51 still defaults to ColorSync.

Doyle

Photo Op

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 08:02:27 am »

But what is crazy is that Canon's DPP3.51 still defaults to ColorSync.

Doyle

Doyle/Eric- would either of you offer an opinion as to whether the current Leopard (Beta?) drivers (particularly for the 2880 and 3800) handle LR printing correctly(similar to Canon) or are the Canon drivers more accurate than Epson? I've been following the evolution of this issue for 2+ years (owned Epson R2400). Much has been said on these forums as to who's at "fault" for the LR double profile printing issues. Since you seem to be saying that with the arrival of the Canon drivers all is good, I'm left with the impression that LR and Apple play well together WITH the appropriate drivers. Any comments appreciated.

--Dave
David

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 08:37:54 am »

Quote from: Photo Op
Doyle/Eric- would either of you offer an opinion as to whether the current Leopard (Beta?) drivers (particularly for the 2880 and 3800) handle LR printing correctly(similar to Canon) or are the Canon drivers more accurate than Epson? I've been following the evolution of this issue for 2+ years (owned Epson R2400). Much has been said on these forums as to who's at "fault" for the LR double profile printing issues. Since you seem to be saying that with the arrival of the Canon drivers all is good, I'm left with the impression that LR and Apple play well together WITH the appropriate drivers. Any comments appreciated.

--Dave

Have you tried the ColorSync Utility workaround?

Doyle

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 11:05:49 am »

The ColorSync default thing doesn't matter. All the Epson RGB color drivers do the same thing and they print fine.

Dave, there's no problem printing images from Leopard with CS4 or LR2 to the current Epson printers like the R2880 or 3800. Just be sure to get the latest drivers.

There is an issue involving printing to the ABW driver that will hopefully be resolved soon (Adobe has finished its investigation and the matter is now out of our hands).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 11:07:42 am by madmanchan »
Eric Chan

Photo Op

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 02:21:16 pm »

Have you tried the ColorSync Utility workaround?

Doyle

Doyle-Yes, I've used it with 1.4.1, but assumed it wasn't necessary for 2.x. I was just trying to confirm, since Canon did release working drivers per your posts, what the Epson status was. I have not seen that Epson has released final or gold drivers for Leopard, hence my question.

Eric- Thanks for the post. Can you confirm that there is no need to use the "Colorsync Utility workaround" that Doyle referenced above?

--Dave
David

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 02:45:13 pm »

Hi Dave, it should not be necessary to use that workaround. However, some have observed that they get weird results if the Epson printer is not the default printer on your system. (I can't test that here, since I only have one printer -- the 3800 -- so it's the default for me.)
Eric Chan

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 02:34:41 pm »

Unfortunately what ever progress that has been achieved with LR printing on Leopard with the Canon driver HAS BEEN UNDONE IN LR2.3RC.

Adobe, you never cease to amaze me.

Doyle

Pages: [1]   Go Up