Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 OS X beta driver  (Read 20263 times)

duraace

Epson 3800 OS X beta driver
« on: September 24, 2008, 05:20:53 pm »

So what gives.  Have those responsible for the final release of this driver all been made redunant (polite term for fired)?  Q2 has come and gone a long timer ago.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 06:42:43 pm »

Have the current beta drivers not worked for you? they won't time out ya know...

Cooner

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:25:24 am »

The Epson USA site list a 3800 driver for macs that was posted 9/18/08.

duraace

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:38:48 pm »

So what gives.  Have those responsible for the final release of this driver all been made redunant (polite term for fired)?  Q2 has come and gone a long timer ago.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's working fine, but from a customer POV it looks sloppy on the part of the manufacturer, especially one the size of Epson.  Makes you feel like the product isn't all that important to them.  It also suggests that the final product might be better than a beta, so the original question still stands.

duraace

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:42:20 pm »

The Epson USA site list a 3800 driver for macs that was posted 9/18/08.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224250\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks.  The version is 6.11, so suggests newer than the beta driver.  Anyone had success with this on Leopard?

Edit: Turns out epson12786.dmg is listed but doesn't exist on the site for download!?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:45:48 pm by duraace »

knweiss

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 02:54:51 pm »

Thanks.  The version is 6.11, so suggests newer than the beta driver.  Anyone had success with this on Leopard?

Edit: Turns out epson12786.dmg is listed but doesn't exist on the site for download!?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224682\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've successfully downloaded epson12786.dmg yesterday after the new driver was mentioned in this thread. However, I still did not try it because I wanted to wait for some feedback first as I have no problems with the beta driver and don't want to spend time fixing printer drivers right now because I'm busy with other tasks.

Regarding the release process of this driver I agree that Epson appears in a bad light. Especially as this is the professional printer line.

duraace

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 12:14:15 pm »

I've successfully downloaded epson12786.dmg yesterday after the new driver was mentioned in this thread. However, I still did not try it because I wanted to wait for some feedback first as I have no problems with the beta driver and don't want to spend time fixing printer drivers right now because I'm busy with other tasks.

Regarding the release process of this driver I agree that Epson appears in a bad light. Especially as this is the professional printer line.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I click download now, I'm taken to an empty index page!??

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 12:31:37 pm »

I also downloaded it without any problem. I have not yet installed it since I have no problems with the beta driver. I contacted epson to ask if there were any changes in the final release or did they just drop the beta and give it a new number. He said it appears as a new driver for both Tiger and Leopard buy had no release notes on it. He told me to give it a try and if something did not work just reinstall the beta driver which is still available on the site. I can't deal with it right now and since  I have had absolutely no problems with the beta driver I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 04:51:12 am »

Epson's financial year starts in April, so perhaps the Q2 was mistakenly listed as their Q2 rather than the more obvious calendar Q2?

Either way, instead of posting here about it, perhaps send them an email?
Phil Brown

duraace

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 12:35:26 pm »

I now just successfully installed the 6.11 driver and confirmed this version number as the active 3800 driver on 10.5.5.  I haven't printed yet, but the Preview confirms the color accuracy, etc.  The one difference I notice from the Printer Settings->Print Mode is something called AccuColor HD, in addition to Advanced B&W and Black.  I don't recall seeing this selection.  Can anyone comment on it?  I haven't printed yet, but I have faith the it will work.  It would look then, that the driver has been released.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 01:38:24 pm »

I now just successfully installed the 6.11 driver and confirmed this version number as the active 3800 driver on 10.5.5.  I haven't printed yet, but the Preview confirms the color accuracy, etc.  The one difference I notice from the Printer Settings->Print Mode is something called AccuColor HD, in addition to Advanced B&W and Black.  I don't recall seeing this selection.  Can anyone comment on it?  I haven't printed yet, but I have faith the it will work.  It would look then, that the driver has been released.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I remember reading something about the term AccuColor but I am surprised to see it in the driver. I don't think it is in the 4880 driver, or at least I didn't see it there this week when printing.

duraace

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 01:52:27 pm »

I remember reading something about the term AccuColor but I am surprised to see it in the driver. I don't think it is in the 4880 driver, or at least I didn't see it there this week when printing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226378\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could someone with the beta driver for the 3800 list what the drop down choices are for Color Mode under printer settings?  I think it just said Color.  So ... is there a difference between AccuColor HD and just Color?

na goodman

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 06:50:53 pm »

There is just color, advanced B&W, and Black.

duraace

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:19:41 pm »

There is just color, advanced B&W, and Black.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=226446\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks.  So the question remains, is AccuColor HD any different?

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 02:37:30 am »

Since migrating to a MacIntel running 10.5.5, I've been having trouble printing to my 3800  out of CS3 . (Previously using a PPC-based Mac, things had been going smoothly). Specifically, problems have arisen when changing media requires a change in the black ink (matte to photo black, or vice-versa); a secondary issue concerns inappropriate error messages regarding paper feed parameters that occur randomly, as far as I can tell. I've been using the 6.11 driver which has been available here from Epson France since late July or thereabouts. Regretably, I just re-initialized my printer setup in the 0S preference pane, which did nothing, and have lost my paper settings that I must now re-configure.
Ralph

Deep

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 04:31:51 am »

I hadn't even seen this thread until tonight but yesterday downloaded the new driver.  I have done some printing, and it seems to have fixed at least one very annoying glitch with my former version, in that it now seems to save my presets instead of changing them randomly.  It is different but, I think, ultimately better.  There is a 16 bit option which I will have to investigate.

Incidentally, I have trialled some of the new Epson "Traditional Photo Paper" tonight.  It does indeed do what it says on the box.  Great colour fidelity and tonal range, though it does give a slight effect of lower contrast in the darks, which I suppose I should have expected.  The reason I mention this is that I got the new driver to see if it came with any settngs for this paper.  It doesn't specifically but does provide an option for "Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster" which I did not have before.
Don

duraace

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 06:05:59 pm »

Quote from: Deep
I hadn't even seen this thread until tonight but yesterday downloaded the new driver.  I have done some printing, and it seems to have fixed at least one very annoying glitch with my former version, in that it now seems to save my presets instead of changing them randomly.  It is different but, I think, ultimately better.  There is a 16 bit option which I will have to investigate.

Incidentally, I have trialled some of the new Epson "Traditional Photo Paper" tonight.  It does indeed do what it says on the box.  Great colour fidelity and tonal range, though it does give a slight effect of lower contrast in the darks, which I suppose I should have expected.  The reason I mention this is that I got the new driver to see if it came with any settngs for this paper.  It doesn't specifically but does provide an option for "Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster" which I did not have before.

The 16 bit option has been there in the beta driver.  If you're using Lightroom or Aperture (I think), you have the option of printing using 16 bit data (more is better), but this is only available on the Mac, not Windows.

duraace

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 12:32:03 pm »

FYI   I printed to the 3800 with the 6.11 released driver and all is fine.  This driver is better in some minor ways that the beta driver, so worth upgrading.

francois

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 12:35:16 pm »

Quote from: duraace
…This driver is better in some minor ways that the beta driver, so worth upgrading.
Can you elaborate?
Francois

duraace

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 03:11:12 pm »

Quote from: francois
Can you elaborate?

They fixed the jumping around behavior when you changed driver settings, and Color Mode now says AccuColor HD instead of Color.  Don't know if that implies under the cover changes or not.  And who knows what else has changed, except that this is a released version of the driver, instead of the beta version.  I printed with it and it works.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:11:40 pm by duraace »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up