Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vincent Laforet´s with 5D MarkII  (Read 10687 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Vincent Laforet´s with 5D MarkII
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 02:32:16 am »

wow.. doom and gloom....

every person on this planet has a varying degree of visual arts talent.... some, due to their environment or genetics will shine, some will not. A camera that has a higher level of features and capturing abilities is just a tool within the environment a person with or without higher levels of talent will be in.

every market ( fine art, commercial art ) on this planet has varying levels of visual needs. Some like direct mail, senior portraits, editorial, or google street view have lower requirements.... others like fashion or national level ad print have higher levels. Fine art ( nudes, landscape, etc. ) is completely subjective and a unique look is what gets noticed.... sometimes that look is by pinhole, sometimes by technically perfection.... sometimes by message, sometimes meaningless imagery.

If a photographer does an adequate job of capturing an image ( still or moving ), returns their phone calls, shows up on time..... they will find their niche....

Talent is always sought out by those who have a need for it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225184\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree generally too. However, as digital photography increased, sales from stock agencies decreased. Now people give away "good" images to corporations like National Geographic for free, just to see their images in print. Of course 5 days a week they work as doctors and lawyers so they have a constant cash flow. I wonder how they would like it if someone opened a doctors office next door and offered services for free few times a week--just because they like playing doctor on their time off?

But you are right. At the top most level, talent and connections are king.

giles

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 05:50:03 am »

I agree generally too. However, as digital photography increased, sales from stock agencies decreased. Now people give away "good" images to corporations like National Geographic for free, just to see their images in print. Of course 5 days a week they work as doctors and lawyers so they have a constant cash flow. I wonder how they would like it if someone opened a doctors office next door and offered services for free few times a week--just because they like playing doctor on their time off?
A more positive spin is that many more people have the opportunity to be their own patrons, i.e. fund their own artistic endeavours without the need to wait tables, starve in a garret, or win the lottery to make ends meet.

For people who are or were in the stock business and had their income reduce, yeah, it would suck, just as any other forced job change (factory closure, IT outsourcing/offshoring, buggy whip market collapsing, or other disruptive technology development) hurts the people directly affected.

Giles

Nemo

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 11:26:51 am »

New accesories for video work with DSLRs !!!!

http://www.fotomaf.com/blog/tag/zacuto/

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 11:40:38 am »

Quote from: dwdallam
That's not a particularly useful analogy, is it?

Anyone prepared to spend money to buy a camera can take a photograph. If they're lucky or have some modicum of ability, they might manage from time to time to take a snapshot sufficiently attractive to National Geographic to be worth their printing it. What amateurs (me included) can't do, we're repeatedly told by the pros, is guarantee to get things right each and every time, to satisfy the needs of a customer on a shoot. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea, but I'm fully prepared to accept it. I'd certainly never dare to accept a photographic commission if I had to provide any degree of reassurance that I wouldn't screw it up!

Nobody can manage to be a doctor or a lawyer just by spending money on a tool: it takes time, effort and a degree of dedication to achieve the qualifications. Some in fact do then spend part of their time working for free, but the rest don't generally find that threatening.

In general, though, people don't go to the cheapest doctor or the cheapest lawyer. They believe that price somehow reflects quality. Isn't part of the job of any professional to deliver value equivalent to price?

Jeremy

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 03:06:22 am »

Quote from: kikashi
That's not a particularly useful analogy, is it?

Anyone prepared to spend money to buy a camera can take a photograph. If they're lucky or have some modicum of ability, they might manage from time to time to take a snapshot sufficiently attractive to National Geographic to be worth their printing it. What amateurs (me included) can't do, we're repeatedly told by the pros, is guarantee to get things right each and every time, to satisfy the needs of a customer on a shoot. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea, but I'm fully prepared to accept it. I'd certainly never dare to accept a photographic commission if I had to provide any degree of reassurance that I wouldn't screw it up!

Nobody can manage to be a doctor or a lawyer just by spending money on a tool: it takes time, effort and a degree of dedication to achieve the qualifications. Some in fact do then spend part of their time working for free, but the rest don't generally find that threatening.

In general, though, people don't go to the cheapest doctor or the cheapest lawyer. They believe that price somehow reflects quality. Isn't part of the job of any professional to deliver value equivalent to price?

Jeremy

I doubt there are any perfect analogies. The point is that the more people sending off images for free, and the more organizations that usually pay to have those images, the less they need to pay in order to get those images. The less they pay, the harder it is to make a living as a photographer. And I'm not really talking about amateurs. I'm talking about advanced hobbyist who can and does take good images, but they give them away for vanity or ego.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 03:07:07 am by dwdallam »

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 06:34:51 am »

The point is that the more people sending off images for free, and the more organizations that usually pay to have those images, the less they need to pay in order to get those images. The less they pay, the harder it is to make a living as a photographer.
That is a fact, and it means a change in the perspective of professional photographers that they should evaluate. Whether it is worth or not for some particular professional photographer to go on with his business, or to change his business and then go on, is up to him. All photographers should adapt to the new circumstances brought by the generalisation of photography thanks to digital, some good for them, some bad (unfortunately I'd bet many professional photographers would be happy if digital photography never existed).

It has always been so in all aspects of life. Changes have always had people who gained, and people who lost, time will force everyone to adapt. What does not make too much sense to me is to complain, we are talking about facts and changes that no one could prevent from happening.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 06:35:31 am by GLuijk »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 05:28:09 pm »

But, both Chinese and Italians do spaghettis.  (lol)
Eduardo

Quote from: feppe
Couldn't agree more. What I think is the most important thing to note is that still photography and cinematography are very different artforms. Although both are visual mediums, the languages are as far apart as Chinese is from Italian.

The View

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 07:36:12 pm »

Wow indeed - that was shockingly good visuals for a small handheld camera.

But this worries me for two reasons:

1. Photographers will think they can produce similar results, and be thoroughly disappointed when they realize how involved, expensive and time-consuming shooting and editing video is.
2. The net will be inundated with pseudo-artistic crap like this, done by photographers who have an eye for visuals but can't turn even a simple 2-minute boy-meets-girl story into a coherent whole.

I wouldn't take this video too seriously.

It was a demonstration of what the camera could do.

If you know the French, it was actually pretty funny. Especially the part where the credits were almost twice as long as the "movie".

Other than that, there's nothing to worry.

Pen and paper, computer and word processor are readily available. Does that mean you are getting carpet bombed by "great American novels"?

The only ones, who should be worried, are the manufacturer's of overpriced wannabe-professional digital video gear. After the introduction of the Red One, this is blow number 2.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:37:50 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 06:29:42 am »

I doubt there are any perfect analogies. The point is that the more people sending off images for free, and the more organizations that usually pay to have those images, the less they need to pay in order to get those images. The less they pay, the harder it is to make a living as a photographer. And I'm not really talking about amateurs. I'm talking about advanced hobbyist who can and does take good images, but they give them away for vanity or ego.
That's clearly true. Let me make my point a bit more directly.

If all that you, as a professional photographer, had to offer your clients was mastery of the arcane art of making images using silver halides and various toxic chemicals, and the advent of digital photography has rendered that art obsolete, then you have no longer have anything to offer your clients. (Please don't take my use of "you" as relating to you personally, or of "all" as denigrating the art.)

Of course, a good professional photographer offered far more than that: vision, artistic as well as technical ability and so on. He has skills which remain of use, skills which advanced hobbyists don't have.

The need to cope with advances in understanding or technology isn't confined to photography, of course. Take an example from medicine. For much of the last century, peptic ulceration was a scourge of the Western world, with significant morbidity and mortality. General surgeons spent huge amounts of time operating not only to fix the acute complications, such as perforation and bleeding, but also in an attempt to cure the condition. Operations varied from removing that part of the stomach thought to be responsible for producing acid to cutting the nerves which controlled that production. They worked, to a degree, but inflicted their own mortality and morbidity. Then came H2 blockers, which lowered acid production. Then the proton pump inhibitors, which pretty much abolished acid production. Then came the realisation that most peptic ulceration was a complication of bacterial infection and could be cured by antibiotics. As a  result, surgery for peptic ulceration has virtually disappeared. The job formerly done by surgeons is now done by physicians, without making holes in their patients.  So general surgeons have had to move on, refining their techniques and offering their patients better operations for other conditions. They still work; they still earn a living.

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Jeremy

tino tedaldi

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 02:27:12 pm »

Couldn't agree more. What I think is the most important thing to note is that still photography and cinematography are very different artforms. Although both are visual mediums, the languages are as far apart as Chinese is from Italian. Knowing how to compose a still image doesn't translate easily into shooting a scene or even a shot.

But as they saying goes, 99% of everything is shit; I'm sure there are some true gems to come out of this convergence.

I love the bit about 'Chinese and Italian'...they both eat 'Noodles'  ..sorry!  

Tino

www.tinotedaldi.com

tradman9

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 03:09:39 pm »

I'm waiting for someone to say to a famous movie director: "Great movie, you must have a really nice camera!"

Ken
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up