Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad new pricing - up to 40% off  (Read 43619 times)

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
Hasselblad new pricing - up to 40% off
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2008, 02:00:17 am »

Quote from: PeterA
A lot of people 'spray' misinformation based on no user based knowledge or experience in these 'forums'. When they get corrected - they dont disappear into the ether but usually pop up in some other thread 'espousing BS' and confusing people yet again.
Good point!

These are Mini-Michaels... ignore them.

Note: Michael has still neither "retracted" nor "apologized" for incorrectly stating that the H bodies are made in Japan and not in Sweden (from this post: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....8295&st=60).

If you're looking for a Hasselblad forum: http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:16:55 am by jecxz »

O.Ricter

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2008, 08:09:08 am »

Quote from: erick.boileau
François do you know the price of H3DII39  (not MS) body only ?

Hi F

The price of the H3D-body 2600 EUR.

O R

O.Ricter

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2008, 08:27:37 am »

The Hasselblad new pricing seems great - I think!

Why you may ask?
- Its a lot of money if you already got a digital back? Maybe not!

I.e.
Buy the Hasselblad H3D-II 39 + free 80 mm lens for = 14.995 EUR (40% off!).

You can keep your old digital back, which can be used for back-up purposes or you can sell it off to a colleague. In the old days you needed to ship this back to the back manufacturer.

When paying only 14,995 EUR you do not pay for the upgrade cost as you needed to do before and which you do today with Leaf and Phase One. Moreover, when you buy a new Hasselblad you get a whole new system not an upgraded one. Therefore new system with new warranty.  

Conclusion:
Hasselblads new pricing will mean that photographers can actually purchase a new camera for more or less the same amount that they would have previously spent on an upgrade. But still they can the old one.

O. R.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2008, 11:04:23 am »

Not entirely. The current prices are a little less attractive than the upgrade prices were. For people entering the MFDB market this is good news for people wanting to upgrade it is not always as advantageous.

Sure if you want to buy a new one and keep your old back as backup it is good, this is like entering the MFDB market. But if you already have a backup and you just want to get rid of the oldest one because you don't need 3 or more backs it was more lucrative to upgrade.

Now a decent 2nd hand market place needs to be installed, people buying 2nd hand backs need to be sure their backs will receive support (paid naturally) if needed. Otherwise a giant market of expensive bricks will be the result and people will stop buying new backs after they own several because they cannot sell their worthless older equipment.

design_freak

« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2008, 03:55:08 pm »

If i can choose between spent 14000 euro for upgrade or buy new camera for 15000 euro. Of course i will buy new camera. Old camera I can sell for 4000 euro. For me it;s clear. I think that commercial photographer can buy new camera ones for two years, and it is not like buying a jet - it;s only a tool, like car for a taxi driver.

Freak  

-------------------------------------------
Work hard and be nice to people
-------------------------------------------
Best regards,
DF

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2008, 05:21:22 pm »

Quote from: Dustbak
Not entirely. The current prices are a little less attractive than the upgrade prices were. For people entering the MFDB market this is good news for people wanting to upgrade it is not always as advantageous.

Sure if you want to buy a new one and keep your old back as backup it is good, this is like entering the MFDB market. But if you already have a backup and you just want to get rid of the oldest one because you don't need 3 or more backs it was more lucrative to upgrade.

Now a decent 2nd hand market place needs to be installed, people buying 2nd hand backs need to be sure their backs will receive support (paid naturally) if needed. Otherwise a giant market of expensive bricks will be the result and people will stop buying new backs after they own several because they cannot sell their worthless older equipment.

Is it not true and correct me if i am wrong that with the H3 series the back and camera are as one and really can't take that back and put it on another H3 camera since they are tuned to each other at least that is the way i understand this system. In my case i can put my Phase Back on any Mamiya body that is AFD, AFDII or AFD III/Phase One .
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2008, 08:52:29 pm »

i still don't really get it.....i mean it is great that i could now buy a H339 for 22000 if i wanted to....to me the H331 would make much more sense and there are leaf and phase products available in the same price range now....

there are so many more factors to consider then price alone and after the whole system is priced out the small difference is easily made up by lenses and such....

i personally would never consider buying any H because i have learned to dislike the camera (by using it), so no price break in the world would make me buy it....

i mostly agree that every system can get pretty similar results (in terms of file quality) some have slightly different features (longer exposures, in lens shutters,....) and workflow is a major factor with many people......

i really feel that this is one more of hasselblads pr ideas.....along with the first FF (no need to discuss that anymore, they just shot themselves in the other leg by making that absolutely moronic new format statement), the new lenses (which cover this but not that, that but not this format and might or might not cover the next....oh and never mind about making them right from the start we can fix that later....i even hate when shooters say that..."we can fix that in post, it'll look very different").....the "magic T/S thing (what? for how much? any other back can be mounted on a viewcamera to get much better and FF results, for less money)....so now we are dropping prices by 40% and people will come running.......and judging from the overwhelming response from all the people here they actually do.....

reminds me of the simple fact that shoppers will save 1cent in the aisle to buy the 98cent coke over 99cent pepsi in the 2 liter bottle (although they actually prefer pepsi) and get a 12oz can out of the machine on the way out for 1dollar.....and enjoy their cold coke on the way home feeling they have saved money.....

someone here actually wrote that someone else here is lucky because his clients did not ask for 39mpix files.....now i am not sure who these clients are but i find that statement just idiotic....like someone actually trying to convince themselves that by getting the 39mpix back they will automatically get put into a different category of photographer?

there are a LOT of rich kids out of (expensive) photoschool who already have the 39mpix back, they bought it at full price and they still can't shoot or get jobs....and there are quite a few ad shooters running around with their canons and nikons making more each day shooting then the P65 will cost.....

rant end, i hope everybody will enjoy their new H system, please enlighten us with all your amazing images that you just could not have taken on any other system and especially not on a much cheaper one.....that is not 40% off right now....

Nick-T

« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2008, 09:21:24 pm »

Quote from: pss
i really feel that this is one more of hasselblads pr ideas.....along with the first FF (no need to discuss that anymore, they just shot themselves in the other leg by making that absolutely moronic new format statement), the new lenses (which cover this but not that, that but not this format and might or might not cover the next....oh and never mind about making them right from the start we can fix that later....i even hate when shooters say that..."we can fix that in post, it'll look very different").....the "magic T/S thing (what? for how much? any other back can be mounted on a viewcamera to get much better and FF results, for less money)....so now we are dropping prices by 40% and people will come running.......and judging from the overwhelming response from all the people here they actually do.....

Got to love such a well thought out and reasoned post.
 I'd love to see the comparisons you have made between the Hasselblad Tilt/Shift and a view camera where you got "much better" results.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2008, 09:22:03 pm »

For a long time I was a believer and propeller of an idea that the newest digital camera is the only way to go where is fact it takes very little thinking to realize that my 12 months old $30K A75s is worth only $15K or my two years old A75 is worth less than 10K on Ebay, even less for my ex P25, H20 etc.
When I bought my first LightPhase it was a state of an art DB and all pros sweared that it was as good as MF. Today it is worth few hundred dollars.
My point here is not about money however. I look at my portfolio and see lots of images that I shot digitally over the last ten years with cameras ranging from 6MP to 39MP.
If 6MP, 16MP, 25MP was good than what makes it not good now. The new AFiII will be an old technology camera next year. Why would you even shoot portfolio images with it now and not wait indefinately for the next better camera  to make the keepers.
Buy what you can afford now and shoot. They are all great.
Andre

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2008, 09:37:33 pm »

Quote from: Nick-T
Got to love such a well thought out and reasoned post.
 I'd love to see the comparisons you have made between the Hasselblad Tilt/Shift and a view camera where you got "much better" results.

Nick-T

Hi Nick,

But can the Hasselblad Tilt/Shift swing?

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2008, 10:23:33 pm »

So true, Andre.

I would even say "Buy what you can afford/need and shoot".

Thierry

Quote from: AndreNapier
Buy what you can afford now and shoot.
Andre
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2008, 12:18:03 am »

Thierry,
It struck me few months ago while sitting with my wife one Sunday and looking through our collection of Vogues , V, W, and other fine fashion magazines. The magazines range in age from current to 7 years ago. It was easy to assume that lots of this great add campaigns were shot digitally in times were H20 or H25 was the absolute top of the line back.
Absolutely fine, stunning images.
For those in LL on the budget please remember that used backs function exactly the same as when they were new, There is no moving parts, there is no limit in number of actuation to be taken. Get one and shoot now, make the big money and then upgrade to whatever your heart desire. There is no excuse not to shoot DBMF when A75 with the same sensor as AFi7II sells on eBay under 10K.
Andre
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:18:34 am by AndreNapier »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2008, 01:21:21 am »

Andre,

You hit the nail exactly where it should be hit: shoot today the images with the material that does fit your needs. This material was fitting the needs of all some 15 years ago (and I remember here the astonishing result with the 2x2k = 4 MPx Loral sensor), it still does and it still can be found for nearly nothing. Your portfolio proves it well.

Thierry

Thierry,
It struck me few months ago while sitting with my wife one Sunday and looking through our collection of Vogues , V, W, and other fine fashion magazines. The magazines range in age from current to 7 years ago. It was easy to assume that lots of this great add campaigns were shot digitally in times were H20 or H25 was the absolute top of the line back.
For those in LL on the budget please remember that used backs function exactly the same as when they were new, There is no moving parts, there is no limit in number of actuation to be taken. Get one and shoot now, make the big money and then upgrade to whatever your heart desire. There is no excuse not to shoot DBMF when A75 with the same sensor as AFi7II sells on eBay under 10K.
Andre
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

bcooter

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2008, 02:03:54 am »

Thierry,
Andre

If your looking through 5 to 7 year old W's, Vogues, Elles, etc. your most likely looking at images from film.  Three years ago Gilles Bensimon tried digital and went back to film during most of his tenure as creative director of Elle.   Unless you are looking at images from Melvin Sokolsky who was shooting digital for Vogue and Wallpaper with a 4mp Canon 1d.  Melvin was ground breaking in his use of digital for editorial fahsion.

http://www.sokolsky.com/main.php

(look at the Wallpaper spread under fashion).

You might be surprised at the number of high end fashion and editorial images that are still shot with film.

http://www.art-dept.com/artists/roy/

There is even a small resurgence to gong back to film when the produciton allows it.  A lot of people are digital overwhelmed.

I do agree to use what works and put your money in front of the lens, not the black box behind it.

In the reference to 10,000 dollar a75's I don't see them for that price on e-bay, I see them at twice that price, though we all know they will come down and in todays economy most likely come down quickly.

But speaking of film, if you are not working high volume, or high commerce,  film cameras are now the deal of the century and easy to image as the lab does it for you.

And the best part about film cameras is there is no firmware updates or waiting for new models.  No waiting for buffer or slow shoot rates.  No proprietary imaging sensors that only mate to certain cameras, no proprietary labs and wide angles that are wide.  

They are what they are and that is it.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2008, 02:12:14 am »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
Is it not true and correct me if i am wrong that with the H3 series the back and camera are as one and really can't take that back and put it on another H3 camera since they are tuned to each other at least that is the way i understand this system. In my case i can put my Phase Back on any Mamiya body that is AFD, AFDII or AFD III/Phase One .

I don't use H3 so I can't tell for sure but I believe this is the case. I use the CF which I can put on all sorts of stuff and if I have focus problems I can shim until perfection (which I had to do with one of my Digiflex bodies but in general this isn't really necessary).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 03:05:44 am by Dustbak »

Dinarius

« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2008, 01:43:38 pm »

Apologies for going off topic, but this is driving me nuts!

In My Controls/Email Settings/Board Preferences, I have the first two ticked, but NOT "Enable Email Notification by default..."/.

Yet, I am receiving one email for every! post to this thread.

Also, at the bottom of this reply window it says, "You are currently receiving email notification of replies."

I just want ONE email notifying me of a new reply and no more.

What can I do to stop this?

Thanks.

D.

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2008, 01:56:44 pm »

Quote from: eronald
- But my 1Ds2 had catastrophic skin tone and was unusable for fashion/portrait.
- The 5DMarkII samples from Canon look a lot like the old 1Ds2. In which case no one with a serious fashion/beauty application should go anywhere near it. Concrete testing is advised before a buy. I repeat, the 1Ds3 is clearly ok.

Edmund

Thats just a false statement. I use one with no issues.

But i shoot RAW.  Lets start with a RAW work flow, which allows any number of combinations and permutations. Each to there own here i think.

And the 5DII samples are jpegs - from RAW or jpegs???

Supprising coming from a color management blogger.

TMARK

« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2008, 02:49:41 pm »

Quote from: BFoto
Thats just a false statement. I use one with no issues.

But i shoot RAW.  Lets start with a RAW work flow, which allows any number of combinations and permutations. Each to there own here i think.

And the 5DII samples are jpegs - from RAW or jpegs???

Supprising coming from a color management blogger.

100% correct.  The 1ds2 had fine skin tones, as long as you light and expose carefully.  In fact, I made a satchel full of money shooting fashion and beauty with a 1ds2.  I've never understood Edmund's issues.  I saw some 5d2 jpegs shgot with the 85 1.8.  All 5d2 images are camera jpegs because their is no RAW converter available.  In any case, the files I saw were really silky smooth, very similar to the 1ds3.  Really nice.  Can't wait to get mine.

T
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 04:10:18 pm by TMARK »

design_freak

« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2008, 04:31:57 pm »

Guys,
Subject is: Hasselblad new pricing - up to 40% off. It's into Medium Format Digital Backs and Photography. And you write about Canon 5D Mark II.... don;t you think that you write not in the right forum?  
If we i will think (virtual)  that Canon 5D Mark II give us the same quality like MFDB, sombody can said that why use canon, if my cellphone have camera too.

Freak

----------------------------------------
Best regards,
DF

carl dw

« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2008, 05:20:54 pm »

Quote from: design_freak
Guys,
Subject is: Hasselblad new pricing - up to 40% off. It's into Medium Format Digital Backs and Photography. And you write about Canon 5D Mark II.... don;t you think that you write not in the right forum?  
If we i will think (virtual)  that Canon 5D Mark II give us the same quality like MFDB, sombody can said that why use canon, if my cellphone have camera too.

Freak

Is it maybe because of the reason Hasselblad are discounting 40%? - I don't think it's the new 5D incarnation specifically, I think it's just the quality of the technologies converging.

I use 35mm and MFDB. I make my living from both. I like both. But they are both simply a means to an end and they are related.

If you believe your cellphone is as good as a Canon maybe you should speak to your optician. (virtual)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up