Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lumix G1 is not a DSLR  (Read 17562 times)

dalethorn

Lumix G1 is not a DSLR
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 10:31:31 pm »

Reflex has always been used in English to indicate a secondary action, a physical movement in reaction to a stimulus. I would think "reflex" in a camera would indicate the movement of the mirror to get out of the light path when the shutter is pressed.

Moynihan

• jay moynihan:  glances stares & nods
Lumix G1 is not a DSLR
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 08:03:20 am »

Reflex has always been used in English to indicate a secondary action, a physical movement in reaction to a stimulus. I would think "reflex" in a camera would indicate the movement of the mirror to get out of the light path when the shutter is pressed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225678\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True. But then, the use of the word in Twin Lense Reflex, wherein the mirror is stationary. Perhaps an even older mis-use of the word.  

NikosR

• http://
Lumix G1 is not a DSLR
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 08:35:54 am »

True. But then, the use of the word in Twin Lense Reflex, wherein the mirror is stationary. Perhaps an even older mis-use of the word. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225731\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reflex was used as a jargon name to denote the fact that light entering the lens was reflected in order to reach the viewfinder. Nothing to do with reflexes, everything to do with reflections. In an SLR the light is actually reflected 3 times before reaching the eyepiece.

I think that most posters agree that reflex cannot be used for a P&S or any camera lacking an optical 'reflex' type viewfinder. Michael disagrees with that although I think he is in a minority (of 1) in this thread.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:39:42 am by NikosR »
Nikos

lenelg

Lumix G1 is not a DSLR
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 02:51:13 pm »

I should add though that using a phrase or word in a technically wrong way, often lives on, as things change. So that might happen with the concept of a "reflex" camera.
I would assume, that when digital someday replaces film in cinema, many will still say "movie" or "film".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
In British English, "radio" can still be referred to as "wireless", which goes back to Marconi's original intent of providing a wireless telegraph, not a broadcast medium..

dalethorn

Lumix G1 is not a DSLR
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 07:40:05 pm »

In British English, "radio" can still be referred to as "wireless", which goes back to Marconi's original intent of providing a wireless telegraph, not a broadcast medium..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225813\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Which makes sense, given that most authorities have by now conceded radio as Tesla's invention.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up