Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: For the Hy6, F&H are announcing...  (Read 27843 times)

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
For the Hy6, F&H are announcing...
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 12:04:27 pm »

here, in German, but with pics:

http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Als-Portr...4120-mm-HFT-PQS

Best regards,
Thierry

The more AF lenses the better for the adoption of the Hy6/AFI platform.

According to Thierry at another forum, the AF 120mm is NOT a macro
whereas the manual-focus 120mm is.  Is this correct?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

woof75

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 12:54:05 pm »

I really wonder why these trades shows exist because it doesn't seem like anything annouced can be bought within a definate date. 

Maybe it's like some insurance convention it's just an excuse to play soccer and party late into the night.

I'm sure we will see a few Viking hat videos soon.

I've only been to Photo East in NY once for about 15 minutes, Photo West in LA once (for about 5 minutes)  and both times I realized it really wasn't a place for photographers to meet, but was geared more towards photographic sales people. 

Kind of the ultimate Shriner convention, minus the little motorcycles and cone head hats.

Still, I look at all of these annoucements and it's pretty much the same stuff in different wrappers, with not one even semi pretty photograph shot with any of these new cameras.

The Leica doesn't surprise me, or wow me, in fact I kind of wonder what it or any of this will do that I can't do already.

I guess the word evolution is correct, though all of these evolutions costs serious money.

The Phase finally has a right angle grip and some new lenses and I kind of think that's interesting until I realize my Contax has all of that, is paid for and is 1/3 the price of the phamamiya.

The only difference is I can buy a right angle grip for the Contax today and I wonder how long before one hits the shelves in medium format land.

For the photographer probably the best part of Photokina is all of these "upgrades" will drive the currrent prices down, so in a month or so it probably is a good time to pick up an A-22 or a P-45.

Look at the Hasselblad announcement.  Obviously there was some extra margins in those prices if they can cut them 40%.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think your right about picking up some of the older stuff. I mean there are so many great backs around that are a couple of generations old, all the kinks are worked out, there cheap and available now. Thats the great advancement from the last 2 years.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:54:45 pm by woof75 »

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 01:09:51 pm »

EXACTLY.

Look at the Hasselblad announcement.  Obviously there was some extra margins in those prices if they can cut them 40%.

JR

gwhitf

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 08:53:08 pm »

I think your right about picking up some of the older stuff. I mean there are so many great backs around that are a couple of generations old, all the kinks are worked out, there cheap and available now. Thats the great advancement from the last 2 years.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223996\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's what I've learned about this Photokina thing -- what you do is, ignore the current Photokina, and google the website for the prior Photokina, two years ago, and then study up on what was announced there. Because, chances are, the stuff that was announced two years ago is just now shipping in normal volumes, and they've fixed all the initial bugs.

Stay two years behind the curve, and your satisfaction will be much larger, (and your initial investment will be much smaller). Both are good things.

I agree -- that P45 (not the plus), is going to get affordable pretty soon. Same will go for other items that were announced at that time.

BrianSmith

• Celebrity Portrait Photographer Brian Smith
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 09:53:29 pm »

Kind of the ultimate Shriner convention, minus the little motorcycles and cone head hats.
JR
While you were writing this, Ann just bought Rosie a Fez and a tiny motorcycle...

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 10:05:40 pm »

While you were writing this,............
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224167\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think what's interesting about all of this is Hasselblad dropped the biggest bomb at Photokina with just an e-mail.

Is Hasselblad actually there, because I've seen nothing from them, but it kind of goes to show you that you can have an impact with just a pdf, a laptop and a willingness to cut the prices.

JR

BrianSmith

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 10:19:39 pm »

I think what's interesting about all of this is Hasselblad dropped the biggest bomb at Photokina with just an e-mail.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224170\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it's great.

I've been saying forever that the problem with MFDB pricing is the upgrade path that forces each new model to be more expensive than the last. If Canon did the same thing, the IDs3 would probably cost sixteen grand.

$33K for a H3II60 including body is a lot more realistic than over $40K for a 65+

I can't wait until tomorrow when Yair is going to announce that Leaf is dropping their prices 60% and throwing in Broadway show tickets...ooops sorry I wasn't supposed to say anything...everybody act surprised when Yair "breaks" the news, ok?

hubell

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 10:42:54 pm »

Is Hasselblad actually there, because I've seen nothing from them, but it kind of goes to show you that you can have an impact with just a pdf, a laptop and a willingness to cut the prices.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224170\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hasselblad is there at Photokina, alright, but they are saving their big announcement about a new electronic cable release for Friday.

pixjohn

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 10:49:56 pm »

I asked in another thread with no response so i thought I would give this thread a chance to ask.

Anyone use the focusing bracketing successfully with the Afi camera? I just did a shot with a Leaf Aptus 75 and H2 and changed the focus manually. Now I am trying to piece it together in Photoshop. As you know when you change focus you also change the crop. Does the software correct the adjustments in post automatically? Does it work with people in the shots?

John

BrianSmith

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 11:05:53 pm »

And on a side note: the Leica S2 was not on display in the public area. Behind a heavily guarded corridor in their catering wall I could see older people in suits and dresses gather around displays with invisible content, while hostesses handed out exquisite consumables.
Whoa! That's exactly how I roll....

Visible content is vastly over-rated.

I'll take the hostesses with exquisite consumables.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 12:40:10 am »

I could see older people in suits and dresses gather around displays with invisible content, while hostesses handed out exquisite consumables.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224174\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL!    Very well worded, EPd!

And thank you for the F&H update.    
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 06:23:27 am »

Addendum regarding the mirror lockup of the cable release: Thierry has specified that it does not have a classical mirror lockup, but with some settings on the camera something which comes close can be activated: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....ndpost&p=224524
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's not a big deal. I assume there's a MLU on the camera somewhere which can be activated first, then the remote control can be used to make the capture. You still get the mechanical isolation from the body that way when you press the shutter release, which is why I use it.

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 07:32:14 am »

I did a shoot last week in Old Street, London where I had to photograph people in a room - they had to move about to make interesting abstract blurs (art-director's idea). The mirror was up all the time (as I'd worked out the appropriate exposure) while the camera took various photographs from the same location.

It worked fine.

Mitchell Baum

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 07:36:07 am »

Is there going to be a long cable. The DRM can use something like a 100 foot cable which is required for some situations.

Best,

Mitchell
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:39:51 am by Mitchell Baum »

thsinar

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 08:14:07 am »

Yes Graham, that's right and exactly as you describe it.

Thierry

It's not a big deal. I assume there's a MLU on the camera somewhere which can be activated first, then the remote control can be used to make the capture. You still get the mechanical isolation from the body that way when you press the shutter release, which is why I use it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 10:03:26 am »

Now, the two-color scheme: anyone who has seen this camera in real life knows that it is NOT blue, but very distinctly dark cool grey with black.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224140\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To my eye, in real life, the lighter grey does have a distinctly bluish tinge.  But folks can decide for themselves how blue or not blue it is.

-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 10:08:24 am »

we live in complicated times and some folks are making more so..

All this partnering going on.   I am finding it more and more difficult to ascertain what is really available in the market, who makes what and who sells what.
 It is a game of musical chairs with distributors and manufacturers and suppliers all switching places.. or more like a shell game with us customers / suckers trying to run our businesses and maintain creativity ( not easy in itself) and at the same time keeping an eye out on the technology part of the business to stay current.

I hate to say the good ole days.. BUT.. it was simpler before.. like black coffee instead of a double viente cap,half caf. half decaf, soy milk, with a dash of pomegranite....okay, that is the craziness of the customer, but what if the relpy was, "well we no longer carry soy products form our dairy distributor because they are also sellling to the coffee shop down the street, but they are owned by nestle and we have an alliance agreement to share blah,blah,blah.. so have some chocolate instead, but soy will be shipping next year".. I hope you get my point.

give me a break guys will you please figure out what you are going to sell, how much it is and sit in one f.ing chair.  

Example - Sinarbron, you want to carry the F&H products? fine, be the distributor and carry the whole line..take it or leave it.    It might have been great for some genius mba to figure out a cool stategic alliance with x, y & Z but it is making your customers heads spin.. and we might just stay at home and work with what we have. Now I do not direct any of this to anyone or company in particular, and I am sure all envolved are lovely people to sit and have a meal with but come on!

I think a possible solution in the long run would be a sales laison for professionals with each manufacture, providing directs sales to us.  We are already put in the position to do all the legwork anyway and figure out who sells what and what it works with..the middle guys are all playing catchup with us. You want us on the cutting edge and fork out for the new products to drive the industry further along? then bring us in a few steps closer.. try partnering with the photographers who use the products or are we not businesses too, just marks, cause in the current shell game I am seeing, I feel like one.

I think we are all lucky here to have some direct contact with the manufactures..and they do what they can but have their hands tied by the mba / lawyer dudes,.. unless someone is selling stuff out of his hotel room and I don't know about it.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 10:50:17 am »

we live in complicated times and some folks are making more so..

All this partnering going on.   I am finding it more and more difficult to ascertain what is really available in the market, who makes what and who sells what.
 It is a game of musical chairs with distributors and manufacturers and suppliers all switching places.. or more like a shell game with us customers / suckers trying to run our businesses and maintain creativity ( not easy in itself) and at the same time keeping an eye out on the technology part of the business to stay current.

I hate to say the good ole days.. BUT.. it was simpler before.. like black coffee instead of a double viente cap,half caf. half decaf, soy milk, with a dash of pomegranite....okay, that is the craziness of the customer, but what if the relpy was, "well we no longer carry soy products form our dairy distributor because they are also sellling to the coffee shop down the street, but they are owned by nestle and we have an alliance agreement to share blah,blah,blah.. so have some chocolate instead, but soy will be shipping next year".. I hope you get my point.

give me a break guys will you please figure out what you are going to sell, how much it is and sit in one f.ing chair. 

Example - Sinarbron, you want to carry the F&H products? fine, be the distributor and carry the whole line..take it or leave it.    It might have been great for some genius mba to figure out a cool stategic alliance with x, y & Z but it is making your customers heads spin.. and we might just stay at home and work with what we have. Now I do not direct any of this to anyone or company in particular, and I am sure all envolved are lovely people to sit and have a meal with but come on!

I think a possible solution in the long run would be a sales laison for professionals with each manufacture, providing directs sales to us.  We are already put in the position to do all the legwork anyway and figure out who sells what and what it works with..the middle guys are all playing catchup with us. You want us on the cutting edge and fork out for the new products to drive the industry further along? then bring us in a few steps closer.. try partnering with the photographers who use the products or are we not businesses too, just marks, cause in the current shell game I am seeing, I feel like one.

I think we are all lucky here to have some direct contact with the manufactures..and they do what they can but have their hands tied by the mba / lawyer dudes,.. unless someone is selling stuff out of his hotel room and I don't know about it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed. Imagine a Rollei user, looking to update the system. Maybe a Sinar 54 LV (on the 6008 back), or a Hy6. But with all this shifting, a "costing" analysis probably won't hold up for 3 months. How does one make a reasoned decision? None too quick, to be sure.
Geoff

thsinar

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 09:08:39 am »

No such plans yet, Mitchell.

Best regards,
Thierry

Is there going to be a long cable. The DRM can use something like a 100 foot cable which is required for some situations.

Best,

Mitchell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224559\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 06:21:37 am »

To my eye, in real life, the lighter grey does have a distinctly bluish tinge.  But folks can decide for themselves how blue or not blue it is.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have always percieved this as blue. Maybe I need to get my eyes examined ?
BTW, nice color checker shot,

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:09:10 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up