Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalog backup  (Read 2018 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Catalog backup
« on: September 21, 2008, 08:49:37 pm »

I have all my images and the catalog on an external drive which I use for my primary storage place.  I told LR to save the images in a second location as a backup on a separate external drive.  In this location the images are present but without organization, just a large pile of photos--the folder structure does follw in this location.  
I want to keep a second catalog with the photos on this second drive as a backup.  I cannot figure how to get a catalog here or how to back it up easily, like LR handles the info on the first drive.

Help.
mdiimaging.com

Richowens

Catalog backup
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:44 pm »

If both drives are plugged in at the same time, just copy your catalogue to the backup drive. It will have the file extension of .lrcat.

Another way is to set your second drive as the backup destination when you backup your catalogue. This setting is in the catalogue preferences.

HTH

Rich

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Catalog backup
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 10:10:33 pm »

Or: I use GoodSync to do this job. There are a few synchronising programs around. David

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
Catalog backup
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:13:55 pm »

I do not want to sound lik an idiot, but how doI copy this catalog to the second drive--drag and drop, or direct the back up location when LR starts up, or export just the catalog??

Will the backup then relate to the photos in my main drive or the backup drive??

Mike
mdiimaging.com

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Catalog backup
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 05:22:05 am »

I do not want to sound lik an idiot, but how doI copy this catalog to the second drive--drag and drop, or direct the back up location when LR starts up, or export just the catalog??

Will the backup then relate to the photos in my main drive or the backup drive??

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You could drag and drop but it's probably better to go to EDIT - CATALOG SETTINGS and then choose under "back up", for example, "next time Lightroom starts only". Then restart LR and follow the dialogue. The back up will be a mirror of you existing Catalog, that is, it will relate to your main drive.
I've twice had a corrupted Catalog (bummer) but just deleted the old one, drag and dropped the back up into place and was off again.
I use LR to back up photos on import, but these are all later deleted, because syncing software preserves my file structure. Cheers, David
Pages: [1]   Go Up