Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: think tank ultralight backpack any good???  (Read 10324 times)

heinrichvoelkel

think tank ultralight backpack any good???
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:35:36 pm »

Hello,

is anybody of you using the Think Tank Ultralight backpack? If yes, how are your experiences with it? Can you compare it to other products in this range or for example the Think Tank "international roller" or the "airport acceleration".

Thanks in advance,

Heinrich

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:56:46 pm »

I use the ultralight - I choose it because it was the lightest bag I could get and still hold what I need.  I fly Air Canada, and every now and then they weigh the carry on so of the available 10kg having the bag weigh 3 just doesn't make sense.  Quality and design is excellent - I assume you've seen their pictures of what it holds.  I carry my 300 2.8, but keep the shade in my carry on and have a third party lens cover so I can get a 1ds3, 24-105, 70-200, 100-400, 300 2.8, sigma 12-24 and the 1.4 and 2x tc's stacked, plus a laptop, with their separate laptop bag.  It's very heavy with that load and while it's wearable in an airport going from gate to gate, it's not designed for extensive hiking.  

I can't comment on their other bags other than to say I don't need bigger and the others are too heavy in any event.

If you can wait a bit, I believe Andy Biggs (on safari now) but is a regular on this site is introducing a pack that sounds interesting.  Should be available "real soon now"  Google him, there might be an update on his website.

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 07:02:48 pm »

I use the ultralight -  It's very heavy with that load and while it's wearable in an airport going from gate to gate, it's not designed for extensive hiking. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Tim, thank you for the quick responce to my question.

Weight is an consideration for me, and actually I don't own too much stuff, which would go with me at ones...so the ultralight should be enough...for some Mamiya M7 and some large format gear.

How is the harness system? Would you recomment walking around with it, when the items in it are not as heavy as your gear?

Regards
Heinrich

Tim Gray

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 07:26:36 pm »

I wouldn't use it for hiking etc. for a couple of reasons.  It's really designed as a piece of luggage with shoulder straps.  For hiking I vary between a couple of methods.  One is the lowpro belt system (Kinesis has a similar system) or when I want to avoid the camera geek look, I have 3 lenses (long, med and wa, but not the 300 2.8) in Lowpro cases in a backpack.  If I have my tripod set up I can hang the pack from the hook and change lenses without setting anything on the ground.  (Not having to set anything down is where the belt system excels).  The problem with the Thinktank (and all similar cases) is that you have to set it on the ground to get at it, and when you open it all the stuff is "naked".

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:07:43 pm »

By hiking I do mean walking more than from and to the plane, like 20 minutes to the hotel from a bus or train station.

I want to use the Ultralight just to carry all my gear at once in one bag by plane or whatever mode of transportation to a hoteö, from there on I go with a belt system combined with a small bagpack.

Regards

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 08:24:43 pm »

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

BruceHouston

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 10:22:16 pm »

I wouldn't use it for hiking etc. for a couple of reasons.  It's really designed as a piece of luggage with shoulder straps.  For hiking I vary between a couple of methods.  One is the lowpro belt system (Kinesis has a similar system) or when I want to avoid the camera geek look, I have 3 lenses (long, med and wa, but not the 300 2.8) in Lowpro cases in a backpack.  If I have my tripod set up I can hang the pack from the hook and change lenses without setting anything on the ground.  (Not having to set anything down is where the belt system excels).  The problem with the Thinktank (and all similar cases) is that you have to set it on the ground to get at it, and when you open it all the stuff is "naked".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223115\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Tim,

Your comment as to backpack technique is very timely for me.  I am all set with a Billingham 445 to carry my kit in the car trunk and a Billingham Packington to carry 40D with 24-105 attached plus 10-22 and 70-200 for street shooting.  Now I am focused on solving the hiking pack problem.  I am in a quandary as to whether to go the photo backpack route (e.g., Tenba Shootout, Kata R103, MountainSmith Camera, Dakina Sequencer, etc.) or the potentially more comfortable hiking backpack route with inserts for camera gear protection.

I have read suggestions in forum threads about removing a complete set of closed-cell foam inserts from a photo backpack and adding it to a Kelty Redwing 2650/3100 or some model of Osprey pack, etc.

If I go the hiking backpack route, questions arise as to where to get a complete closed-cell insert package, including front and back padding, and finding a non top-loading model (I forget what the guy at Bass Pro Shop called it) that opens up completely to access the camera gear.

Reading into your comment, you suggest that opening up the broad side of the pack and having immediate access to all the photo gear is not necessarily desirable (to avoid dust access to the gear?).  I can appeciate how having the lenses in LowePro cases inside the pack would offer an additional barrier to entry of dust into the photo gear.

So it sounds like perhaps you have been through this thought process.  What make/model pack do you use?  What are your thoughts about top-loading vs. (breach?) loading?  It would seem that a top-loader pack would facilitate your technique of hanging the pack from the tripod hook to access.  Do you use a toploader camera case for your camera with a lens attached?

I would very much appreciate your further thoughts and those of others who have been through this.

Best,
Bruce

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 12:42:04 am »

I have  tried a lot of backpacks-- albeit not the Ultralight.  I really like the F.64.  It is relatively light, good for hiking and I have carried it onto many airplanes.

Hi Tim,

Your comment as to backpack technique is very timely for me.  I am all set with a Billingham 445 to carry my kit in the car trunk and a Billingham Packington to carry 40D with 24-105 attached plus 10-22 and 70-200 for street shooting.  Now I am focused on solving the hiking pack problem.  I am in a quandary as to whether to go the photo backpack route (e.g., Tenba Shootout, Kata R103, MountainSmith Camera, Dakina Sequencer, etc.) or the potentially more comfortable hiking backpack route with inserts for camera gear protection.

I have read suggestions in forum threads about removing a complete set of closed-cell foam inserts from a photo backpack and adding it to a Kelty Redwing 2650/3100 or some model of Osprey pack, etc.

If I go the hiking backpack route, questions arise as to where to get a complete closed-cell insert package, including front and back padding, and finding a non top-loading model (I forget what the guy at Bass Pro Shop called it) that opens up completely to access the camera gear.

Reading into your comment, you suggest that opening up the broad side of the pack and having immediate access to all the photo gear is not necessarily desirable (to avoid dust access to the gear?).  I can appeciate how having the lenses in LowePro cases inside the pack would offer an additional barrier to entry of dust into the photo gear.

So it sounds like perhaps you have been through this thought process.  What make/model pack do you use?  What are your thoughts about top-loading vs. (breach?) loading?  It would seem that a top-loader pack would facilitate your technique of hanging the pack from the tripod hook to access.  Do you use a toploader camera case for your camera with a lens attached?

I would very much appreciate your further thoughts and those of others who have been through this.

Best,
Bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223149\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tim Gray

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 09:24:01 am »

My back pack is just something I picked up at our local Mountain Equipment co-op, chosen to hold lowpro cases for a 24-105, 12-24 and 100-400, these cases also would hold my alternates: 24-70, 16-35 and 70-200.  There's a front pocket that will hold the 1ds3 in a separate case as well.   The pack is normal top loading.  I also have a larger, very light and water proof pack that can carry the 300 2.8 (with camera attached, although I don't carry it that way) in a large Kinesis lens case.

The belt system also holds the same 3 cases conveniently - with the belt I still carry the pack, batteries, cable release, pano plate etc.  dust, rain and snow are all considerations, but equally the fact that I don't need to worry about any mud or other stuff that migh get picked up if the case is on the ground.  I also occasionally use a Lowpro top loader zoom which holds a 1ds3 and 100-400 comfortably in a chest mount.  For the ultimate in geekiness I've been know to carry the belt system, pack and chest harness at the same time.

Over the years, this has emerged to fulfill 2 requirements: comfort, and to avoid, where possible, putting anything on the ground.  BTW, the added weight to the tripod also helps stability.

BruceHouston

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:13:11 am »

My back pack is just something I picked up at our local Mountain Equipment co-op, chosen to hold lowpro cases for a 24-105, 12-24 and 100-400, these cases also would hold my alternates: 24-70, 16-35 and 70-200.  There's a front pocket that will hold the 1ds3 in a separate case as well.   The pack is normal top loading.  I also have a larger, very light and water proof pack that can carry the 300 2.8 (with camera attached, although I don't carry it that way) in a large Kinesis lens case.

The belt system also holds the same 3 cases conveniently - with the belt I still carry the pack, batteries, cable release, pano plate etc.  dust, rain and snow are all considerations, but equally the fact that I don't need to worry about any mud or other stuff that migh get picked up if the case is on the ground.  I also occasionally use a Lowpro top loader zoom which holds a 1ds3 and 100-400 comfortably in a chest mount.  For the ultimate in geekiness I've been know to carry the belt system, pack and chest harness at the same time.

Over the years, this has emerged to fulfill 2 requirements: comfort, and to avoid, where possible, putting anything on the ground.  BTW, the added weight to the tripod also helps stability.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Tim; very helpful!

Bruce

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 12:25:30 pm »

My back pack is just something I picked up at our local Mountain Equipment co-op, chosen to hold lowpro cases for a 24-105, 12-24 and 100-400, these cases also would hold my alternates: 24-70, 16-35 and 70-200.  There's a front pocket that will hold the 1ds3 in a separate case as well.   The pack is normal top loading.  I also have a larger, very light and water proof pack that can carry the 300 2.8 (with camera attached, although I don't carry it that way) in a large Kinesis lens case.

The belt system also holds the same 3 cases conveniently - with the belt I still carry the pack, batteries, cable release, pano plate etc.  dust, rain and snow are all considerations, but equally the fact that I don't need to worry about any mud or other stuff that migh get picked up if the case is on the ground.  I also occasionally use a Lowpro top loader zoom which holds a 1ds3 and 100-400 comfortably in a chest mount.  For the ultimate in geekiness I've been know to carry the belt system, pack and chest harness at the same time.

Over the years, this has emerged to fulfill 2 requirements: comfort, and to avoid, where possible, putting anything on the ground.  BTW, the added weight to the tripod also helps stability.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

same same over here. in the field I use  anormal 30 liter backpack with some domke inserts to carry a spare body and  some extra lenses + the stuff you need over the day. on the belt i have some domke belt pouches with film or one lens. really comfortable soultion and easy to carry.

the backpack is a haglöfs tight evo medium. i can even fit a 5 liter bladder for some fresh water in it and still carry the gear I need. the backpack is pretty good sealed of to rain and comfortable to wear, while shooting.

[a href=\"http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4047]http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4047[/url]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:26:05 pm by heinrichvoelkel »

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »

I'm using the Lowpro Orion TrekkerII, and I find that it meets my need reasonably well. I can fit a Canon 30D, Canon AE-1 and Linhoff Technica backs, with a few short lenses if i'm being really adventurous. Also the additional meshing and zippable pockets in the top compartment are added bonuses since i can keep memory cards, manuals, filters and misc in there.

There are a few things that this bag lets me down on though. The top compartment is big enough to put a rain shell, or a small lunch, but not much else. It is infuriatingly just too small for a laptop. Also, the camera compartment is too small to put any large lenses in, and forces me to carry the 70-200 in the top part, as well as the 580EXII.

Lastly, the bag is pretty comfortable, and i have been able to hike with it on me for a couple of hours, fully loaded, with a tripod (super light one) hanging off the back to boot!  However, to get the bag comfortable you need to have the chest strap clicked in, or else the straps uncomfortably hang too wide in my shoulders.

All in all, for what it does, I love this bag as an all-rounder. Wouldn't be good for real serious types, but it does the trick for me.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:54:14 pm by mike.online »

BruceHouston

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 04:55:17 pm »

Great; thanks for your thoughts.

Would anyone else care to comment on their preference for carrying photo gear while hiking?  I am especially interested in comments related to the thought process in selecting a hiking backpack over a photo backpack or vice versa. Also interested in which model of hiking or photo packpack that you chose and why.

I am leaning toward some model in the Osprey or Kelty lines (e.g., Osprey Kestrel, Atmos, Stratos, or Talon; or Kelty Redwing) with lenses in zippered lens pouches (e.g., LowePro) thrown into the hiking pack as Tim and Heinrich are doing.

However, I would love for someone to talk me out of this and into some exotic photo backpack that delivers the comfort and performance of a hiking pack.  I have studied and read reviews of the Tenba Shootout, Kata R103, MountainSmith Camera lines, Dakina Sequencer, etc.  From the reviews I get the impression that all of these fall short in one way or another.  The Tenba Shootout is feature-laden and seems to be a relatively new, high-tech design.  However, some reviewers complain about quality issues.

Thus, at this point I am leaning toward the "stuffed hiking pack" compromise.

Best,
Bruce

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »

Bruce, one more thought:

with a normal backpack you only carry the padding you need for the specific job/adventure/hike

with a photobackpack you always carry the weight of the entire padding with you, regardless needed or not

see this link: http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1654

it is a good read

what I like about the Haglöfs, I dont have to lay it down to get the stuff out, but I can, if I have to

BruceHouston

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 07:41:28 pm »

Bruce, one more thought:

with a normal backpack you only carry the padding you need for the specific job/adventure/hike

with a photobackpack you always carry the weight of the entire padding with you, regardless needed or not
see this link: http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1654

it is a good read
what I like about the Haglöfs, I dont have to lay it down to get the stuff out, but I can, if I have to
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That makes a lot of sense to me, Heinrich.  And thank you for the informative link.

Best,
Bruce

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 11:36:04 pm »

having just thrown gear in a rucksack with other hiking equipment, and also had the lowpro bag, i choose the photog bag. i find it is a real pain to be digging around for gear at the bottom of a bag that has all sorts of other junk in it, like a sweatshirt. (I assume that is what you mean, no?)

edit.

also, for me i don't find that taking the photog bag around when gear isn't in it is a problem... the compression-foamy stuff doesn't add any weight really... and i can put loads of other items in the same space if i need to. having both a photo dedicated area and misc portions of the bag is really useful.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:38:17 pm by mike.online »

stever

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 11:51:46 pm »

Carryon requirements, particularly if you may encounter regional carriers with small planes really complicates the packing decision.

I strongly agree with Tim on "not putting things on the ground".  But i'm not a landscape shooter that sets up and stays in one place for hours.  My preference is for the Thinktank belt system and Speed Freak (i've tried the Lowepro and don't like it as well) packed in a soft bag (although i haven't found a soft bag or pack that i can particularly recommend).  When you get to you're destination it takes minutes to assemble the system for use.  If the plane is small, the components can be broken out on the belt as a "personal item" to allow the pack to fit in the overhead.

However, this doesn't get the most stuff in the smallest volume, particularly if you've got a big lens.  So i'm taking a Thinktank Airport Acceleration on my next trip (the Ultralight is tempting, but is a bit too small for what i need to carry - i don't think i'm flying on anything smaller than a 737) and packing some of the belt components in checked luggage.  Ordered a couple of the new Thinktank Skin bags and immediately returned them - seem very awkward to use.

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 05:11:41 am »

exactly what I think....Ultralight or Airport Acceleration to get the stuff to the shoot, leave the big backpack secured at the hotel and go out shooting with a beltsystem and a normal backpack with some spare photogear in it...
even as I love my Billingham and Domke shoulder backs for their looks and build quality, my back doesn't support the use of them anymore....

by the way I really like the Thinktank skin 50 bag I bought recently, the velcro is a little stiff new, but will wear out over time

stever

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 08:14:26 pm »

Tim, you mention an aftermarket lens cover for the 300 2.8.  Where can i get one?

Tim Gray

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 08:48:59 pm »

http://www.accentondesigninvestments.com/

well made and quite functional.  beats the leather bag hands down.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up