Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 11880 question: Printing ProPhotoRGB  (Read 2476 times)

laughingbear

Epson 11880 question: Printing ProPhotoRGB
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:07:01 am »

Greetings,

I use the 11880 and make my first steps with CM and printing and came across something I do not understand.

I work on my picture in ProPhotoRGB and now I wish to print it on Epson Premium Luster A2 cut sheet. The picture is a 5x multi exposure that I tonemapped in Photomatix and further tweaked in Photoshop CS3.

Now, say, I choose PS manages colors, for that proceedure I then applied the following steps:

1. Photoshop manages colors
2. rendering intend set to relative colormetric

When I press print and the Epson driver takes over, in PRINT SETTING, I disable colormanagement.

Sound's all right so far?

Now, if I go to PS and choose soft proof, custom, and choose the relevant paper profile for Luster Bi directional, which in this case is Pro11880 PLPP_Bi-D, well, this is not what you would want to print. <grin>

Couple of grabs to illustrate my problem:

1. Photoshop Print Menu

2. Next is where the Epson driver takes over and the settings

3. That is the way I want it to look in the print, and the way it looks in ProPhotoRGB

4. This is the way the softproof looks and the way it will print. <Sucker!>

I assume me being new to all that I miss something essential, user error, lack of knowledge, you name it.

Thanks for looking at it, suggestions most welcome and being re imbursed with a virtual Guiness!!

Greetings from Ireland and best wishes,
Georg
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:10:49 am by laughingbear »

JimGoshorn

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 12:08:01 pm »

I believe that your mistake is having the Preserve RGB Numbers option checked. You should be able to choose Rendering Intent and have Black Point Compensation checked (which you can't with the preserve option).

laughingbear

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 01:44:07 pm »

I believe that your mistake is having the Preserve RGB Numbers option checked. You should be able to choose Rendering Intent and have Black Point Compensation checked (which you can't with the preserve option).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Jim,

yes that is correct, if I unhook preserve, I have BP compensation as well as Simulate Paper color, and the preview looks like I want it to be, a touch darker due to the  "simulate Paper color" option, but....

This custom softproofing is a simulation only right? So it does not affect the printout at all, would that be correct?

The strange thing is that the print comes out like it looks in the preserve RGB screenshot, and not the way it looks when I unhook it!

Really puzzling....

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 04:13:43 pm »

Epson printer driver blues. The inkjet - system - PS interaction is buggy.

You should delete the printer driver from the system, reinitialize the print system (I think control-click on the delete or something like that does it) and reinstall the driver, as the only driver and then SET IT AS DEFAULT PRINTER. Print again.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

laughingbear

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:39:14 am »

Hello Edmund,

Huh? Sounds a bit drastic. Do you work with the 11880 as well? Btw. I am on a mac pro and mac book pro with my data. I just recently updated to the latest driver version, a week ago or so.

I was wondering, as I am new to this, I assume it is more likely a user error or lack of knowledge than a driver problem.

However, I mailed Epson and asked for their advise and also asked Joseph Holmes to cast an eye over it when he has a minute.

Best,
Georg
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:39:48 am by laughingbear »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 09:16:39 am »

Georg, please post screenshots of all of your PS Print box settings and your Epson driver settings. I'm fairly certain there is just a simple mistake made somewhere along the path.
Eric Chan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:33:03 am »

Preserver RGB numbers will have no effect on output. It will of course on the soft proof (it shows you what the current RGB numbers would look like if you printed WITHOUT using an output profile specified in this dialog). So there's something else going on in your settings (or the profile sucks).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up