Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D defect sensor?  (Read 2545 times)

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
5D defect sensor?
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:06:01 pm »

hi,

my 5D started to produce weird looking images. every 10th or 15th frame. has anybody experienced anything like this?
looks like a serious problem to me. or maybe rather something to do with the cf-card?

stefan

[attachment=8422:attachment][attachment=8427:attachment]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:18:34 pm by stefan marquardt »
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Ray

5D defect sensor?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:14:42 pm »

It could be a loose mirror. Try some heavy shooting in continuous mode. If it's the mirror it will probably fall off, as mine did. Repair cost me about $350 in Bangkok. It would probably be more expensive elswhere.

madmanchan

• Web
5D defect sensor?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:32:50 pm »

Given the structure of that image, plus the striping configuration of the 5D raw file, I strongly suspect a corrupted raw file resulting from the CF card or the reader you are using. It is possible that the 5D itself has an issue but I think that's lower probability.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 08:33:24 pm by madmanchan »
Eric Chan

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
5D defect sensor?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:39:12 pm »

I get this once in a while from my 5D, but not every 15 images, maybe one out of 50 or 100.  

I believe it is a card / write problem as Eric has proposed.  Do you number your CF cards?  If it happens that often, see if it is associated with one card.  Mine's so infrequent I always forget which card it was the last time...

DChew

Panopeeper

5D defect sensor?
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:04:54 pm »

It has nothing to do with the sensor, but with corrupted data. The vertical split is due to the data organization: the raw data is not organized row by row, but half row wise.

The encoding of the raw data (JPEG lossless compression) is very sensitive to even the loss of a single bit; the rest of the image can not be decoded any more.
Gabor

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
5D defect sensor?
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 02:30:34 am »

thanks for your ideas!
I started thinking in terms of cf-card/reader too.
Lately I have been shooting in hospitals and especialyvery close those Magnetic Resonance Tomography (MRT) scanners (that create a massive magnetic field to scan a whole person) and wonder, if that could have caused a fault in the card.

for now, I am just getting new cards and card reader and see how its going.

thanks again

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

Rob C

5D defect sensor?
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 03:58:54 pm »

thanks for your ideas!
I started thinking in terms of cf-card/reader too.
Lately I have been shooting in hospitals and especialyvery close those Magnetic Resonance Tomography (MRT) scanners (that create a massive magnetic field to scan a whole person) and wonder, if that could have caused a fault in the card.

for now, I am just getting new cards and card reader and see how its going.

thanks again

stefan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222828\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would have thought that you´d have been aware of the dangers of magnetic fields if you do that sort of work! Just be grateful you don´t have an artificial hip: you can´t have one of those magnetic scans if you do, so should you ever have the misfortune to need a new hip, don´t forget this bit of information - could save your life.

Big magnetic fields could possibly have interesting effects with hard drives... I´m surprised no staff member was quite bright enough to warn you of the dangers.

Obviously, I hope you never do need a new hip!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up