Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 Firmware  (Read 3590 times)

Harry Carpenter

z3100 Firmware
« on: September 19, 2008, 05:29:17 am »

Can anyone post an active link for the latest z3100 firmware, as the link from the printer utility to the HP site and to the latest firmware just leads to a dead end without any firmware present.

I am trying to get the version it tells me is available-   TR12-TR_06_00_00-8. or just any version updated from my current one, but when I navigate to it, all it says is N/A 12 May 2008.

I have to wonder why HP seem to make the simplest things so difficult as even a search on the website comes up with no hits.

rdonson

z3100 Firmware
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:42:13 am »

HP does a number of things right but communicating with the owners of their large format printers isn't one of them.  Neither is logically assembling their websites.

They pulled the most recent version (TR12-TR_07_00_00-3) of their firmware for XP because it was a corrupted file.  We have no idea when or even if they will replace it.  In the meantime there is no XP firmware available for the Z3100 based on their actions on their website.

I have the previous versions of the firmware but the files are 200+ MB in size so distributing them is a problem.
Regards,
Ron

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
z3100 Firmware
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 10:12:34 am »

I dont understand this at all ... Why is the firmware Operating System dependant at all?
It should download or transfer the file directly to the printer or at least via the web control panel, and let the internal operating system running the printer do the install.
Why is the Mac version working and the XP not? They should be the same file - so if i install the XP version (one day) and then hook my printer up to a Mac it wont work? In fact my printer shouldnt even CARE what OS it is connected to because it is connected via LAN.
I dont get it, other hardware devices i have that have firmware upgrades dont care what OS i use.

rdonson

z3100 Firmware
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:09:21 am »

They have packaged the firmware into an OS specific executable that then unpacks into the firmware that can be installed with the HP tools.

Not necessarily the best approach but it's what they've chosen to do.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

z3100 Firmware
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:44:21 am »

What's really lacking is communication between HP and the Z owners.  

Epson and Canon have done a much better job in this regard.  Both of those companies have individuals in the industry that teach how to use the printers and have channels back into those companies as a feedback loop.  

Example:  take a look at the relationships Epson and Cannon have established within the photography community.  There are a lot of well respected people in those camps.  Schewe, Caponigro, Holbert, etc. for Epson.
Regards,
Ron

Roscolo

z3100 Firmware
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 01:47:58 pm »

Rarely is it wise to be an "early adopter" of a new firmware release, from any company for any product.

Just be patient, wait until new firmware has been out for a month or two. You'll be glad you did.

Harry Carpenter

z3100 Firmware
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:01:45 pm »

The only reason I want to get the new firmware is that I am once again getting poor reds, having changed from my standard Kodak lustre to only using HP papers.

In particular the reds on the matte litho, Pro Satin and the ID Satin are printing and softproofing light magents and not deep red.

I had read that the version 6 firmware addressed this at last and now they are not even allowing it to be downloaded.

Very annoying. If the latest version is no good, at least put the last one back online.

rdonson

z3100 Firmware
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:20:45 pm »

Harry,

Version 6 did have a number of improvements but it was version 5 that was supposed to initially address the red issues.  v6 Tech Newsletter

BTW, I do have the V 6 firmware for the 24" Z3100 base model.  
The HP exe file is 374,193 KB.  
The firmware itself is 374,099 KB.

edit: just noticed that my "YouSendIt" account won't accommodate a file this size.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:29:59 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Roscolo

z3100 Firmware
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 05:51:42 pm »

The HP exe file is 374,193 KB. 
The firmware itself is 374,099 KB.

edit: just noticed that my "YouSendIt" account won't accommodate a file this size.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222723\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try www.megaupload.com You can send up to 1GB for free.

rdonson

z3100 Firmware
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 06:09:15 pm »

Try www.megaupload.com You can send up to 1GB for free.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222752\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great tip, thanks!!!
Regards,
Ron

marty m

• http://
z3100 Firmware
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 01:45:19 pm »

As I have explained on other threads, my advice to Vista, and to a lesser extent, XP users, is to leave well enough alone.

If your system works, don't mess around with the new firmware or software.  

There have been a large number of serious and crippling problems for the Z3100 with Vista.  It works OK with some systems, but not with others.

HP in Spain actually REPRODUCED these problems but never solved them.  At least not to my knowledge.  Talk about irresponsible tech support.

At the moment my system works OK and I can print.  (I am forced to print directly and not use the spooler, however.)  That is all I want.  Forget about the new features.  If your system works, and if you are using Vista or XP, my advice is to be happy and let well enough alone.

Ignore the siren's call and lure of the new firmware.

(With reference to reds, does anyone know if the new firmware even addresses that?  I think that was covered in previous firmware releases.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:48:02 pm by marty m »
Pages: [1]   Go Up