Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning issues Epson v500  (Read 6200 times)

revaaron

Scanning issues Epson v500
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:30:42 pm »

I'm trying to scan in MF (6x6 and 6x4.5) on my Epson v500. has anyone used this or the v700?  I scan them in 2 at a time. I have had no issues and then I tried scanning in some B/W ilford negatives.  the negatives look amazing when you look at them. dramatic and contrasty. then I try to scan them and the images are completely overblown.  I found that if I scanned with an Image that had a lot of black (white) on it, it would make the other image that I was scanning in have "ok" levels.
If I then put it with another scan like itself, it's over blown.

amsp

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:38:37 pm »

What program are you using?

revaaron

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:49:49 pm »

the software that came with the epson scanner.
it uses ICE so I figure it's better.
I'm trying to attach some examples, but i'm at work and it will take me a bit.

revaaron

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:01:53 pm »

ok, image #1_2 & #2_2 are the same negative.
#1_2 was scanned with #1_1.
#2_2 with #2_1

amsp

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 02:09:57 pm »

My v700 that I used when I was still shooting film came with two programs, epson's own and silverfast. Try the one you're not currently using and see if it helps. You could also try different film settings, like color negative and positive, and then convert to bw/invert in photoshop.

Also, generally you don't scan more than one photo at a time, unless it's two frames with the same subject, lighting and camera settings, but of course you know this right?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:15:14 pm by amsp »

amsp

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:19:27 pm »

One more thing.. I seem to remember the software getting confused if part of the film border was in the selection, so make sure your selection contains the exposed part of the negative only.

revaaron

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 02:39:27 pm »

I had to switch to the non-thumbnailed version cause it's not finding the frames right.
the 6x7 area actually allows for 2 6x6's. I cut the negatives in strips of 3 so when I'm scanning, there is always 2 there.

Imaginara

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 06:23:09 pm »

i have the same scanner (the V500) and unfortunately it doesnt come with Silverfast (plus i run it on vista, where Silverfast didn't work when i tried the demo).

I tend to turn off most of the auto-settings on it though and check the curves before doing the scan. sometimes it clips waaay to close.

Oh and you mentioned it was having a hard time finding the right negative size, i assume you have gone into the preferences (button at the bottom of the interface) and changed the negative size its supposed to look for right? Default is 645 if im not mistaken so if you are scanning 6x7 you need to change the setting so it looks for 6x7.

Good luck with the scanning =)

/Henrik

revaaron

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 06:47:30 pm »

OH! I'm scanning 6x6 and have it set for 645 (yeah that worked!)

I turned off all the default things and it looks better, but still not as good as the negatives look when I look at them. it's almost like the bulb is too bright.
I set the brightness curve down.
let's see what that is like.

When I try to change things in the curves/levels window, it doesn't work well.

revaaron

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 06:50:01 pm »

er.. strike that. it caught the bottom of the holder and clipped the images way too small.

spidermike

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:24:26 am »

Quote from: revaaron
the software that came with the epson scanner.
it uses ICE so I figure it's better.
I'm trying to attach some examples, but i'm at work and it will take me a bit.

Silverfast say that ICE does not work on B&W negatives - apparently the film is impervious to infrared used for ICE and it causes all sorts of weird effects. I would think that the same would apply to an other program
I have used the V700 to try and scan B&W prints using Epson's software and ICE can affect it badly - I have found that low res image + ICE=high is worse than ICE=standard.

Mike

Imaginara

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 01:35:41 pm »

Quote from: spidermike
Silverfast say that ICE does not work on B&W negatives - apparently the film is impervious to infrared used for ICE and it causes all sorts of weird effects. I would think that the same would apply to an other program
I have used the V700 to try and scan B&W prints using Epson's software and ICE can affect it badly - I have found that low res image + ICE=high is worse than ICE=standard.

Mike

I have V500 as stated and yes ICE is really bad. In fact i tend to keep it out alltogether and just go through it the old fashioned way in Photoshop afterwards.

revaaron

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 04:05:18 am »

I'm going to try a few pictures with out ICE and with no other things done by the scanner software and do it all in photoshop.
it's weird cause the first 3 6x6 rolls scanned beautifully.
then when I switched to 645, the scans look worse and worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up