Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lacie WARNING  (Read 33930 times)

elitegroup

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2008, 11:54:39 pm »

Take the time and watch this:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonatha...moral_mind.html

You might come out of your box

Best

Frank
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Loved that link  

While we're in the same enlightened vibe check out the soulful message from blind artist, 'Raul Midon' @ [a href=\"http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/raul_midon_plays_everybody_and_peace_on_earth.html]http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/raul_mi...e_on_earth.html[/url]

Ray

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2008, 12:59:43 am »

It´ll come, Ray, it´ll come! It´s only the good ole´pc rule that´s prevented passegers paying by weight. You know, as is their luggage. ;-)

But skinny guys like me will do well! Oops, sorry, body-mass-challenged guys like me was what I meant to say.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rob,
This is a good example of PC. I hope plain economics and good sense eventually prevail. I've always found it rather absurd that a 150Kg passenger with 10Kg of hand luggage pays the same price as a 50Kg skinny with no hand luggage, yet, if my suitcase is 10Kg over the limit I have to pay a penalty, whether I'm a skinny or not.

In Australia and America, and no doubt in Britain & Europe too, there's a huge obesity problem due to underexercise and the overeating of tasty but fatty foods.

Scientists provide interesting explanations along the lines that some folks have a genetic defect that prevents them from realising when they are full.

Let the airlines come to the rescue. Your airfare is proportional to your weight. Let's give people a real incentive to lose weight   .

Note: This is not irrelevant to the OP's original complaint that started the thread..

bcooter

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2008, 02:05:02 am »

Rob,

Ray,

Rob,

Ray,

would someone please be kind enough to cancel the Rob and Ray show.

please.

Ray

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2008, 02:44:56 am »

please.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't exaggerate. Ray is a late-comer to this thread and I'm bang on topic.

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2008, 01:12:15 pm »

Don't exaggerate. Ray is a late-comer to this thread and I'm bang on topic.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222982\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are Ray.....

Rob C

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2008, 04:01:39 pm »

please.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good evening, Cooter

Nice to se you arise, phoenix-like from the technicolour past!

There is a beautuiful sense of déjà vu to this thread: I refer you back to the closed one on the MF gallery where I was accused of all manner of evil doings until I got somwhat fed up with it and challenged the loud voices to pin-point a single defamatory post that I had made in that thread, when in truth, all I´d done was refer to a specific image that gave me that certain "wish it were mine" feeling. Needless to say, there was no reply; I guess the jackal that howls along with the pack at the first sniff of blood, even it entirely imaginary blood, has to stop when in the face of reality rather than the faux, personal version of truth.

So with this thread, except that poor old (sorry) Ray has been dragged in for no apparent reason.

1. I have said that I find racism ugly.
2. I have said that one should treat others as one would have them treat oneself.
3. I have said that manners and lifestyle are best taght at the knee of a responsible parent (better two).
4. I have said that one very effective way to treat questions of race (as by the Spanish example I gave) is with humour, a quality which defuses many situations and allows different folks to just laugh at the vagaries of life, the grand lottery of existence.
5. I have said that the road to this harmony is not the one sold to the masses via the siren call of political correctness, a policy which of itself creates even further division amongst people and frees yet newer devils from the vault.
6. I have said that one should be responsible for one´s own decisions and, importantly, for one´s own mistakes.

So I repeat the challenge to you and your fellow brothers-up-in-arms: where is the problem, the dreadful statement cast amogst you to create chaos?

As for Ray  being dragged into the firing line, I suppose it´s what happens when people associate someone with a refusal to accept the current hot idea without questioning its value. But then, that´s reason enough, Cooter, isn´t it?

Why doesn´t Michael close this thread, cast Ray and myself into the further reaches of hell? Didn´t it ever occur to those of you who ask that there is a simple answer? Michael can read.

Sweet dreams

Rob C

Rob C

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2008, 04:12:54 pm »

anyway this is another deteriorated thread, highjacked by a couple

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marc, this thread died at the first post: if you are brave enough to tell the truth, there is nothing to say or add - the guy blew it, end of story.

What followed is nothing more than an example of the political correctness police doing their constitutional thing, creating problems where non existed by originally accusing one poster (not myself, oddly enough, as you would be forgiven for having imagined) of being racist. So who throws the dog mess, then? Just read the thread again, if you have the energy, and READ the POSTS, not the latest sound bite which is where so many go wrong by basing their understanding on false premises built on earlier, equally false ones. Go to basics if you want to form intelligent opinion from which to make statements of worth.

Rob C

David Amos

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2008, 04:23:24 pm »

Didn´t it ever occur to those of you who ask that there is a simple answer? Michael can read.

Sweet dreams

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From the What's New section

10 September, 2008 - Sony Announces 25MP Full Frame A900 DSLR - Review

Though we've known pretty much what to expect and when, Sony announcement of their 25 Megapixel full frame A900 is still very exciting. This makes it currently the highest resolution sensor in any 35mm format DSLR.

Our colleague Nick Rains has been using an A900 for the past week, and in his exclusive Sony A900 Field Report gives us his initial impressions.

Please note that I am currently on a shoot in Botswana and therefore unable to respond to any e-mails until I return on September 23rd.

samuel_js

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2008, 06:42:08 pm »

Marc, this thread died at the first post: if you are brave enough to tell the truth, there is nothing to say or add - the guy blew it, end of story.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You two Ray and Rob seem to be two people with plain of time.
Personally, I find this highjacking practice of yours very frustrating and irritating.
You're like the children who start papper airplain wars when the teacher steps out of the classroom.

You should be grown enought to understand that threads should die naturally and not because you choose to lead the conversation 180 degrees to the oposite direction.

Michael has choosen not to act about this and I respect him because it keeps the forum in some way clean of dictation.

But for busy people like me, reading throught gigantic pile of BS in the wrong place to get to some useful lines is something I don't have time for.

So sooner or later I'll say bye and have a good time because I'm very serious about what I do and this kind of friend wine chat room should not be allowed in a place for advanced/professional photogs.

There other places in this (and other) forums for that kind of tertulia.

I'd really like you to consider how you use of these forums and seriously reconsider the way you treat the other people  who spends their time here.

Best Regards

Mike Louw

• http://www.dreaminglight.com
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2008, 06:51:17 pm »

Sand monkeys? No big deal. You really have to watch out for these guys, though.

Ray

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2008, 07:35:55 pm »

You are Ray.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Absolutely! Did you not bother to read Andre's complaint, his first post? I'll quote below the point I was addressing.

We saved all images to Lacie 1TB and backed everything to identical memory unit.
Due to weight restrictions on hand baggage I opted to keep camera, lenses and two laptops with us and putting memories to two separate travel cases.
One of my bags got lost/stolen/vanished and never got recovered. The second one looked like it fell from from airplane and crashed on concrete. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andre basically lost his data due to weight limits on hand baggage. It's a problem many of us have to contend with. But there is a solution along the lines I have expressed, although I fear such a solution would be politically incorrect because fat people would scream and holler that they were being discriminated against. (I'm attempting to be slightly humorous here.)

There's an airline operating in Australia (Air Asia) which charges specifically for the amount of baggae you carry. If you travel light with no suitcase, you pay less. Up to 15Kg there's a surcharge. Up to 30Kg, the limit, there's a further surcharge.

They also charge extra for meals and refreshments, but so far they haven't started weighing people.

However, there is already an easy solution to this problem of hand baggage restrictions. There are a number of brands of 320Gb pocket drives that are extremely light and compact. It takes only 3 of them to make up a terabyte drive and 3 of them together are much lighter and more compact than a terabyte external hard drive. These pocket drives really do fit in a pocket; even a shirt pocket.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2008, 08:03:30 pm »

It seems to be the cool thing to make out technical things aren't so important in photography. I know the worlds greatest piano players, ballet dancers etc don't take such an approach (or should I say assume such a pose)  of disregard to technical requirements as photographers do. The camera does matter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222420\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
But not as much as the photographer.

To return to OP. I recently bought a 500G Samsung HD and 2x320G WDs to use on a location shoot. I can carry them all in my trouser pockets, they are that small.
Not expensive either, so I could have even more so I could have a couple of copies on me, a couple in my onboard luggage and a couple in my checked bag, if I was truly paranoid. I figured 3 HDs on my person/backpack was enough and a 750G HD 3.5" in checked baggage, wrapped in a lot of clothes.
I'm paranoid about HDs failing -  I had a batch of Deathstars some years back!  
I also have to recommend Samsung as not only are they quiet and very fast, but they are the only brand I've yet to have a failure with, apart from when knocking a spinning 3.5" HD onto solid floor.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2008, 02:44:51 am »

Thank you all for all your advices in this hard time.
Today I received a call informing me that all my Raws have been recovered. Total cost around $2.5k.
I totally understood my mistake and my responsibility. My client never doubted that if would not be able to deliver I was good with financing the entire re-shoot since I made the call ( the wrong call ).
Hope my story stops somebody from making similar mistake which could be much more costly that in my case.
However I have to admit that reading through this entire topic made me realize why so many working pros do not want to participate in LL under their real name. In times it is really a shame to have your name as a topic started affiliated with some of the off the board responses.
For me a lesson learned.

fgdrte aka Andre

Henry Goh

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2008, 03:21:20 am »

Today I received a call informing me that all my Raws have been recovered. Total cost around $2.5k.
I totally understood my mistake and my responsibility. My client never doubted that if would not be able to deliver I was good with financing the entire re-shoot since I made the call ( the wrong call ).
Hope my story stops somebody from making similar mistake which could be much more costly that in my case.
However I have to admit that reading through this entire topic made me realize why so many working pros do not want to participate in LL under their real name. In times it is really a shame to have your name as a topic started affiliated with some of the off the board responses.
For me a lesson learned.

fgdrte aka Andre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223187\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear Andre,

I'm very glad you managed to get your work back.  What a relief it must be!

I read the responses and was just dismayed as to how a warning about Lacie could be dragged into so many pages of unrelated garbage.

In any case, am really happy to know all's well for you.

NBP

• http://
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2008, 03:37:57 am »

Today I received a call informing me that all my Raws have been recovered.

Very glad you got them back Andre - a nasty lesson to endure, none the less.

On that note, having trawled through the rest of the crap on this thread, I'm out of here for the time being.
Maybe back in the future.

Adina

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2008, 04:06:04 am »

fgdrte aka Andre

nice to hear,
how was the experience with the recover company (which?) ?

Greetings
Adina

gwhitf

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2008, 08:16:38 am »

Andre,

I thought of you yesterday. Was shooting a still life job, and I set up Synchnronize Pro X to back up the job every thirty minutes, automatically. I have always been good with redundancy, but your story sent a chill up my spine, and forced me to learn Synchronize Pro X even further. I've got SPX backing stuff automatically all day long now; a new paranoia. A healthy paranoia. So, good things can come out of bad.

Also glad you got your RAWs back. $2.5k is much cheaper than a reshoot.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up