Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lacie WARNING  (Read 33971 times)

Rob C

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2008, 10:43:44 am »

Alright, look.  I'm operating under the assumption that I am one of the very few persons of color or African-Americans who frequents this forum.  That said, references to "sand monkeys" (derived from "sand nigger", presumably), not surprisingly, rub me the wrong way.  They strike me as unnecessary, childish and offensive, as does that dumb ass picture of a bunch of idiots in blackface.

Before you get your "political correctness/persecuted by liberals" panties all in a bunch, let me also point out that I'm a professor of law who specializes in civil rights and civil liberties.  As such, I'm unimpressed by your whining about your "free speech" being suppressed.  First off, the government isn't suppressing your speech here.  Second, in fact, no one is suppressing your speech here; only Michael can do that.  All I'm doing is exercising MY right to free speech by calling you out as an ignorant racist.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Umm, William, I think you didn´t quite grasp that Wolf 75 is actually on YOUR side on this one and sticking it to ME. Professor of Law, you say... also, isn´t it a little presumptious to think that few persons of colour, to use your expression, frequent this space? Why would you think that? How could you know? Isn´t that a slightly racist position in itself?

I think that if you re-read my post above, you will see that my point is that raciscm is not the issue in all places that it seems to be in the Western/English speaking world; that´s why I gave the Spanish example - the little bar incident, with nobody taking offence. PC is almost unheard of in my part of Spain - there is no need for it. And don´t make the mistake of thinking that pc is only about race! It is about everything that can be twisted and turned into something else that allows a sad group to feel better about itself than it would otherwise be able to.

As for the racing fans - well, they do the same bullshit in football, in anything you can think of where the dumb masses gather together to fawn at the feet of the superstar who neither knows they exist not cares. How can you expect better?

Sand moneys. That´s a totally new one on me - not even sure I understand the racial connection any more clearly than you do. Just not pc enough I guess!

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:47:18 am by Rob C »

Snook

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2008, 12:32:24 pm »

Umm, William, I think you didn´t quite grasp that Wolf 75 is actually on YOUR side on this one and sticking it to ME. Professor of Law, you say... also, isn´t it a little presumptious to think that few persons of colour, to use your expression, frequent this space? Why would you think that? How could you know? Isn´t that a slightly racist position in itself?

I think that if you re-read my post above, you will see that my point is that raciscm is not the issue in all places that it seems to be in the Western/English speaking world; that´s why I gave the Spanish example - the little bar incident, with nobody taking offence. PC is almost unheard of in my part of Spain - there is no need for it. And don´t make the mistake of thinking that pc is only about race! It is about everything that can be twisted and turned into something else that allows a sad group to feel better about itself than it would otherwise be able to.

As for the racing fans - well, they do the same bullshit in football, in anything you can think of where the dumb masses gather together to fawn at the feet of the superstar who neither knows they exist not cares. How can you expect better?

Sand moneys. That´s a totally new one on me - not even sure I understand the racial connection any more clearly than you do. Just not pc enough I guess!

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Here here...
there is no such thing as Sand Monkeys.. it was a typo.. Amazing you all still carry on about it..
Jeeeeeeeez.... Oh wait that comes from Jesus and maybe racial....
Get out and go shoot...
Stop trying to read into peoples words making them something they are not...
There is always some bonehead trying to yell Racism...
William is typical of this... He IS being Presumptiuos.... What being a professor of Law makes you right...Get over it! I guess that makes many of the Africans who actually sold slaves several generations ago  OK because they were African...
Don't turn this into a Thread that has nothing to do with photography...
Racism has nothing to do with your skin color...

So 80's

Snook

WaitingForAnR10

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2008, 12:33:17 pm »

Stupidity is costly as we all know. I thought I share my recent experience here to save some big headache to any fellow member who will want to trust Lacie.
We just came back from a five day calendar shoot in Costa Rica. Shooting went very smooth, we had a great weather, flew in amazing models and wrapped up everything to our greatest satisfaction.
It was a decent size production with lots of rented lighting equipment so all with a substantial price tag.
We saved all images to Lacie 1TB and becked everything to identical memory unit.
Due to weight restrictions on hand baggage I opted to keep camera, lenses and two laptops with us and putting memories to two separate travel cases.
One of my bags got lost/stolen/vanished and never got recovered. The second one looked like it fell from from airplane and crashed on concrete. Upon inspection we realize that one of the hard drive disks moved out of its place rendering it unreadable. Right away I called Lacie and personally made arrangement to have it repaired. I explained the importance and value of the content and got verbal reasurrence that they will not due anything to harm the files. I Fedex it overnight to personal attention of my Lacie contact whom I spoke earlier on the phone. We put red tape sticky note " do not reformat " on the box and the Lacie case. Package arrived to Lacie at 9:30 am and after tracking the package on Fedex website and confirming delivery I call them around 11am. That 1.5 hour was enough time for this Fuc...rs to reformat the memory and mount back the disk.
The rest is just a history, nobody is liable responsible or even willing to say I am sorry. The form I sign says they do not guarantee the content just the hardware. This a common practice of reformatting at Lacie before even diagnosing the problem. After facts I was told that they are not in business of recovering files and then hanged up on.
No words to describe how I feel.
Andre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry for your loss.

First rule - have at least 3 copies of everything, in multiple places.  For normal personal trips I copy to my laptop, an external USB hard drive, and an Epson P-4000 portable viewer with a built-in 80G hard drive.  All equipment goes in the plane with me.  Always.  Even if the laptop dies, I still have the Epson to rely on.  On my next major trip I'll probably add a second Epson just in case.  Of course, my wife also has equivalent gear, so I could always borrow that if everything failed.

If I was doing a commercial shoot, with time and money on the line, I would have multiple handhelds, laptops, and portable USB drives available, and never let them out of my grubby fingers.

FWIW, shipping one or two spare portable hard drives, with a complete copy of everything on them, back by FedEx would not be unreasonable.

woof75

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2008, 01:52:38 pm »

Here here...
there is no such thing as Sand Monkeys.. it was a typo.. Amazing you all still carry on about it..
Jeeeeeeeez.... Oh wait that comes from Jesus and maybe racial....
Get out and go shoot...
Stop trying to read into peoples words making them something they are not...
There is always some bonehead trying to yell Racism...
William is typical of this... He IS being Presumptiuos.... What being a professor of Law makes you right...Get over it! I guess that makes many of the Africans who actually sold slaves several generations ago  OK because they were African...
Don't turn this into a Thread that has nothing to do with photography...
Racism has nothing to do with your skin color...

So 80's

Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure about your get out and shoot comment, if you don't have an intellectual integrity behind your work you pictures will never be worth much. Off hand racist comments show a lack of intellect, if intellect is lacking your pictures have no hope.
Rob-C, you say that whenever masses get together for things such as sporting events then you get racism, that is not the case in every country, England has taken great steps forward in this respect, Spain has not. Your example of where in Spain it's o.k. to say politically incorrect things is a perfect example of why it's not o.k. to let such things slip. In England you can't make small racist comments at all and the english fans don't jeer black players off of the pitch. Do you think this is a coincidence or are the 2 things related?

froesner

• http://images.luiroq.com
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2008, 02:14:29 pm »

The problem with political correctness as a concept is that the outcome is largely dependent on who defines what is correct and what not - just think about what religious fanatics would see as being "correct"

That is - at least in my opinion - the reason why freedom of speech should be valued higher than pc in a modern society ...

And: the cause  - or the beginning if you like - for racism is not wether people are allowed to say certain words in public. It always has been hate and fear.

Frank

samuel_js

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2008, 02:34:11 pm »

I'm not sure about your get out and shoot comment, if you don't have an intellectual integrity behind your work you pictures will never be worth much. Off hand racist comments show a lack of intellect, if intellect is lacking your pictures have no hope.
Rob-C, you say that whenever masses get together for things such as sporting events then you get racism, that is not the case in every country, England has taken great steps forward in this respect, Spain has not. Your example of where in Spain it's o.k. to say politically incorrect things is a perfect example of why it's not o.k. to let such things slip. In England you can't make small racist comments at all and the english fans don't jeer black players off of the pitch. Do you think this is a coincidence or are the 2 things related?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222711\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm spanish (living in Sweden since 1999).
You guys have no idea of what you're talking about so get back to the topic of this thread which has nothing to do with racism or Spain so...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:35:14 pm by samuel_js »

Dennishh

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2008, 02:35:39 pm »

Sorry to hear this about your work being lost, this is a nightmare for all of us. Because of all the uncertainties about laptops and possible confiscation, I've started burning two DVD's along with two external drives on every job. I put one DVD in my carry on with the other two drives. The second DVD is mailed or sent Fed-X.

Rob C

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2008, 03:11:38 pm »

I'm spanish (living in Sweden since 1999).
You guys have no idea of what you're talking about so get back to the topic of this thread which has nothing to do with racism or Spain so...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are right on both counts Samuel: Spain was the only country I can think of where Moslem, Jew and Christian had a working relationship that allowed them all to live side by side for centuries.

As for football, Wolfie, just take one country like Scotland. There are two major teams: Rangers and Celtic, the former the rallying call for the Protestants and the other for Catholics. And this despite the fact that the teams have employed players from both religions. They, the fans, hate with a vengeance. And you know the funny part? Non of those fans are religious in the sense that they go to church. They are just religious in the sense that it provides an enemy to beat up on at every opportunity. The problem with all such things as racism, religious intollerance and on and on is that it is bred from generations of deeply held belief rooted in extreme poverty and equal parts of ignorance.

English fans don´t do racism? They don´t do religion? How about the splendid folks up the Mersey...

Education, education, education, they say. Yes, but who is to do the educating and who will monitor the educator?

And that´s as far as I´m going with this thing. There is not and never has been an answer to the ills of this world and pc is no way doing anything positive towards that end. As I indicated in the earlier post, what it does is create situations where an innocent thing is taken as an insult: golliwogs, for example, were beloved of the little girls that had them. That was a negative vibe? Dear God, how sick can anyone get that can believe such tripe? Somebody is blind. So he´s no longer blind, that has been turned into something very else, and he now has to be called visually impaired or he can sue for some damn thing or another. Mad, mad as hatters! Unless the hatters of the world decide to unite and sue!

What a miserable little genie those pc peple pushed out of the bottle.

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:17:42 pm by Rob C »

woof75

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2008, 04:10:52 pm »

You are right on both counts Samuel: Spain was the only country I can think of where Moslem, Jew and Christian had a working relationship that allowed them all to live side by side for centuries.

As for football, Wolfie, just take one country like Scotland. There are two major teams: Rangers and Celtic, the former the rallying call for the Protestants and the other for Catholics. And this despite the fact that the teams have employed players from both religions. They, the fans, hate with a vengeance. And you know the funny part? Non of those fans are religious in the sense that they go to church. They are just religious in the sense that it provides an enemy to beat up on at every opportunity. The problem with all such things as racism, religious intollerance and on and on is that it is bred from generations of deeply held belief rooted in extreme poverty and equal parts of ignorance.

English fans don´t do racism? They don´t do religion? How about the splendid folks up the Mersey...

Education, education, education, they say. Yes, but who is to do the educating and who will monitor the educator?

And that´s as far as I´m going with this thing. There is not and never has been an answer to the ills of this world and pc is no way doing anything positive towards that end. As I indicated in the earlier post, what it does is create situations where an innocent thing is taken as an insult: golliwogs, for example, were beloved of the little girls that had them. That was a negative vibe? Dear God, how sick can anyone get that can believe such tripe? Somebody is blind. So he´s no longer blind, that has been turned into something very else, and he now has to be called visually impaired or he can sue for some damn thing or another. Mad, mad as hatters! Unless the hatters of the world decide to unite and sue!

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222722\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well that clears it all up.

Sean Reginald Knight

• Awaiting Authorisation
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2008, 01:53:49 am »

David Levinthal did a series of photographs called Blackface. Certainly food for thought.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:54:46 am by Sean Reginald Knight »

Murray Fredericks

• http://www.murrayfredericks.com
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2008, 02:35:39 am »

Hating racists is very un-pc.
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

Ray

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2008, 02:39:55 am »

It seems to me there's a major problem with weight restrictions on 'carry-on' baggage. The last time I left Australia, I found myself in the absurd position of being requested to transfer stuff from my camera bag and small backpack to my suitcase because I was over the 7Kg limit (or is it 10Kg?).

In order to avoid transferring any camera equipment to the suitcase, I transferred everything else that would be unlikely to be damaged; books I was going to read on the plane, toilet bag, power supply to the laptop, battery chargers and spare batteries. Eventually, I got the weight down to an acceptable level only slightly in excess of the limit.

On my next trip I'm going to stuff a couple of 320GB pocket drives in my pockets. The airlines haven't got around yet to weighing one's body weight upon check-in.

Rob C

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2008, 05:39:46 am »

The airlines haven't got around yet to weighing one's body weight upon check-in.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222830\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It´ll come, Ray, it´ll come! It´s only the good ole´pc rule that´s prevented passegers paying by weight. You know, as is their luggage. ;-)

But skinny guys like me will do well! Oops, sorry, body-mass-challenged guys like me was what I meant to say.

Rob C

narikin

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2008, 08:55:37 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222722\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
oh come on, you can blame Microsoft for some things, but this is going to far ;-)

Rob C

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2008, 09:20:32 am »

oh come on, you can blame Microsoft for some things, but this is going to far ;-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At last, a breath of fesh air and humour!

Seriously, though, it´s only through humour and things like that that any progress will be made. You can never legislate what people must like and what people are allowed to say or think. It has been tried, with you know what results.

The UK example, where there is now "positive" discrimination which actively prevents white males from competing/applying for jobs, in some areas, with only females (any colour) and ethinic minorities permitted to apply. What in the name of lost sanity is that about? Is that meant to encourage appreciation for minorities or even poor old women, for that matter? I believe resentment is what that creates - not a happy workflow!

I agree wholeheartedly that raciscm is ugly; I agree that it is wrong to call people of different races by insulting names (when you can define that properly) and that people with physical deficiencies should not be tormented because of them. However, the way to achieving that, which is nothing more than respect for others, is through education of the young in a family environment. It has nothing to do with schools, the state or anything beyond family. It is the early education of children that matters most; it is the instilling in them by parents that other people should be treated as you would have them treat you. It isn´t rocket science, it isn´t religion - certainly not religion - it is not political correctness, a further burden of confusion thrust upon the western world; what it is is a return to basic values which have been mocked by generations of politicos who happen to be enjoying the financial fruit of the education that their parents encouraged them to have. But they no longer choose to see that, seeing political capital in fostering the "somebody else´s fault" ethic which has come home to roost.

I was stunned to see Harry Potter´mum writing million pound cheques to Labour because she had a hard time as a single mum; that she thinks it terrible that a wedded couple should have any benefit from being a stable unit (insofar as anything can be these days). I would have thought that, short of rape, being a single mum or even a divorced one smacks more of making a series of very flawed decisions for yourself. Why should others have to carry the can for that?

So yes, let´s have some light humour on these pages, and lots less fake goodness.

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:23:49 am by Rob C »

woof75

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2008, 11:17:10 am »

At last, a breath of fesh air and humour!

Seriously, though, it´s only through humour and things like that that any progress will be made. You can never legislate what people must like and what people are allowed to say or think. It has been tried, with you know what results.

The UK example, where there is now "positive" discrimination which actively prevents white males from competing/applying for jobs, in some areas, with only females (any colour) and ethinic minorities permitted to apply. What in the name of lost sanity is that about? Is that meant to encourage appreciation for minorities or even poor old women, for that matter? I believe resentment is what that creates - not a happy workflow!

I agree wholeheartedly that raciscm is ugly; I agree that it is wrong to call people of different races by insulting names (when you can define that properly) and that people with physical deficiencies should not be tormented because of them. However, the way to achieving that, which is nothing more than respect for others, is through education of the young in a family environment. It has nothing to do with schools, the state or anything beyond family. It is the early education of children that matters most; it is the instilling in them by parents that other people should be treated as you would have them treat you. It isn´t rocket science, it isn´t religion - certainly not religion - it is not political correctness, a further burden of confusion thrust upon the western world; what it is is a return to basic values which have been mocked by generations of politicos who happen to be enjoying the financial fruit of the education that their parents encouraged them to have. But they no longer choose to see that, seeing political capital in fostering the "somebody else´s fault" ethic which has come home to roost.

I was stunned to see Harry Potter´mum writing million pound cheques to Labour because she had a hard time as a single mum; that she thinks it terrible that a wedded couple should have any benefit from being a stable unit (insofar as anything can be these days). I would have thought that, short of rape, being a single mum or even a divorced one smacks more of making a series of very flawed decisions for yourself. Why should others have to carry the can for that?

So yes, let´s have some light humour on these pages, and lots less fake goodness.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your nothing more than an old fashioned un-reconstructed boor who isn't of a level worth debating with, now run along and buy yourself a copy of the Sun.

snickgrr

• http://
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2008, 11:35:24 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 12:16:05 pm by snickgrr »

froesner

• http://images.luiroq.com
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2008, 03:33:26 pm »

Your nothing more than an old fashioned un-reconstructed boor who isn't of a level worth debating with, now run along and buy yourself a copy of the Sun.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Take the time and watch this:

[a href=\"http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html]http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonatha...moral_mind.html[/url]

You might come out of your box

Best

Frank

Rob C

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2008, 04:24:18 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I suppose that if you have nothing to say, then that´s about the limit of coversation one should expect from you.

By the way, what have you found in the Sun that makes you think that I might want to try it too?

Rob C

marc gerritsen

• http://www.marcgerritsen.com
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2008, 08:56:18 pm »

Take the time and watch this:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jonatha...moral_mind.html

You might come out of your box

Best

Frank
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222914\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well contributed Frank
if you go off topic you might as well throw something positive like that into the pot
anyway this is another deteriorated thread, highjacked by a couple
Please Michael do your thing!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up