Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lacie WARNING  (Read 33929 times)

snickgrr

• http://
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 11:17:50 am »

No finger wagging from me.  
I feel for you.
Paul

revaaron

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 11:21:41 am »

I agree with that statement, but still love my 14mp!

I'm going to start backing things up over the net at night when I'm off at a festival.  I almost had all my gear stolen in a hotel room. In baltimore, the hotel didn't have anymore "do not disturb" signs.  The front desk said I was ok.  I come back and all my stuff was gone from the room except what I hid really well. thankfully, I hid 2 laptops, $10K+ in spare gear and my clean cloths.  all the cleaning ladies got were dirty cloths, food, an 8GB memory card, an expensive water bottle, a generic kodak slr/n battery, and some other things.  I'm still waiting for them to pay me back which I doubt they will, but the cost of the things taken was more than my 2 night stay.  If they had taken my hidden items, I would have called the cops first.

revaaron

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 11:24:36 am »

BTW, the cost to recover is based on GB. my gf had a baring go on a drive. 80GB cost $800 to recover cause of the use of a cold room. your drive would probably cost less.

Frank Doorhof

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 11:36:21 am »

@Snook,
They are not just stories.
As mentioned in my post they do this all the time.

On avarage 1-2 customers come in per week with dataloss, some have installed windows over the HDD and still they can get SOME data back.

The mainissue is that the sectors are not all overwritten.
If a sector is overwritten you can forget about it.

In the past we used datarecovery companies but with lost and found it's in 99% of the cases a very easy process to do it yourself, it only takes ALONG time.

When a HDD is really busted they will sometimes replace the hardware from a new HDD and in most cases they HDD will function enough to pull the data.
In the worst case scenario we will go to a datarecovery firm but at the moment that's app 1x a year, and the prices have gone down considerably.

But please try lost and found first.

Snook

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 11:37:14 am »

Two great things about the Canon is they shoot jpegs and you can buy them anwhere.  I don't usually check cameras, though from time to time have to and with the Canons I don't worry because if the s*&t hits the fan I can just buy new ones.

The jpeg thing is the ultimate backup.  Nobody wants to work from jpegs as original files, but if we have internet conection I take the Canon jpegs and put them up on the server everynight.

I only used them once for a quick client reuqest but they worked and it's better than not having anything.

In fact yesterday a retouching house in NY showed me a ad that they had worked that was shot with a small 4mpx P+S when the crew was was setting up the main shot.  This was a huge ad that had about 3 million in media use on it and the results were beautiful.

Now I'm not suggesting shooting with a fuji P+S but in post (if you have the image) almost anything can be fixed and if a fuji P+S image can be run internationally, a jpeg from a 21mpx canon can be used also.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222365\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uh.....
Terry Richards....:+} Yashica baby...:+}

Snook

bcooter

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 11:52:40 am »

On avarage 1-2 customers come in per week with dataloss, some have installed windows over the HDD and still they can get SOME data back.

But please try lost and found first.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222378\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

mr. doorhof

do you have a way to find the company lost and found to buy this software.

i cannot find it on the www.

thank you.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 12:29:48 pm »

Uh.....
Terry Richards....:+} Yashica baby...:+}

Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

People laugh about that little camera and to some extent it's a schtick that plays well for Mr. Richardson.

Then again it's really the photograph that matters and not the camera.

For the last two weeks I've been in a lot of creative meetings.  The last meeting was 7 hours.

It's one of those meetings where everything is addressed, locations, travel, talent, styling, money, crew, money, style, money.

After 7 hours of covering  every detail there was only comment made about cameras.  The CD, pointed at a 40" print I have leaning against a wall and said I don't know what cameras you use but whatever you used for this one is perfect.

The photo he mentioned was shot with the original 1ds.  

Now, he wasn't putting a loupe on the photo or comparing eyelash detail, but he also would have no objection to that image in one of his ads.

Now flip back two days and another meeting we held with retouchers.  they were showing their work and a lot of before and afters, mostly from campaigns that everyone has seen, about 1/3 of them from film.

The photos were beautiful, the retouching took them to another level, but the original captures, (especially the film) were not something you would want to pixel peep at 100% of a 30" monitor.

In fact if it was a digital camera you'd probably think there was a problem.

My point is at this level obviously the client wants something that will reproduce well, but nobody is talking pixels, they're talking the look and they would much rather have the photograph than 10 or 20 more megapixels.

This forum gets fixated on camera formats, file sizes, new announcements, but at the end of the day once they money has been spent, the sets and have scratched and everyone has gone home to start selecting and to begin the post process, the most important thing is finding the shot that is  on the original creative brief.

Now not to get politically correct and say every camera is good and larger cameras are better, or to begin some kind of NASCAR nation  35mm vs. 645 brand war because those conversations go nowhere.

Still, at the end of the day, it's the shot, not the logo on the camera and I've never had a client know or care what Photokina is much less be concerned what is announced there.

We may get jazzed by new equipment (and in some ways we should) but our clients just want the shot man.

JR

william

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 12:38:30 pm »

unless you have some resemblance to Osama or one of his sand monkey's!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222325\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook,

Is that slur truly necessary?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:39:03 pm by william »

bavanor

• http://AsBrittonphoto.com
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 01:17:27 pm »

Here is a cool little video from popular mechanics testing some different portable rugged drives.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology...ws/4275478.html

Now they are just testing them to the hard drives specs of how far they can be dropped and still work.  I found it interesting.

Aaron
Aaron Britton
[url=http://AsBrittonphoto

amsp

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 01:27:59 pm »

Snook,

Is that slur truly necessary?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222388\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yeah, this kind of racist remarks is totally inappropriate.

jimgolden

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2008, 01:29:59 pm »

sorry to hear about this.

never had a Lacie fail in over 10 yrs, rocstor on the other hand I'd avoid like the plague...

bottom line: all drives fail at some point, no matter who makes them or the enclosures. no one will warranty the data, it's standard industry practice.

I sent the drive I have issue with (namely 2 rocstor's) to a local shop and had them work on them and try all the scenarios. both times they had to play a round a bunch but got the data off for a little over $500 a piece. 9/10 times the data can be recovered before sending it out for the $10k platter swap recovery.

woof75

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 02:13:28 pm »

People laugh about that little camera and to some extent it's a schtick that plays well for Mr. Richardson.

Then again it's really the photograph that matters and not the camera.

For the last two weeks I've been in a lot of creative meetings.  The last meeting was 7 hours.

It's one of those meetings where everything is addressed, locations, travel, talent, styling, money, crew, money, style, money.

After 7 hours of covering  every detail there was only comment made about cameras.  The CD, pointed at a 40" print I have leaning against a wall and said I don't know what cameras you use but whatever you used for this one is perfect.

The photo he mentioned was shot with the original 1ds. 

Now, he wasn't putting a loupe on the photo or comparing eyelash detail, but he also would have no objection to that image in one of his ads.

Now flip back two days and another meeting we held with retouchers.  they were showing their work and a lot of before and afters, mostly from campaigns that everyone has seen, about 1/3 of them from film.

The photos were beautiful, the retouching took them to another level, but the original captures, (especially the film) were not something you would want to pixel peep at 100% of a 30" monitor.

In fact if it was a digital camera you'd probably think there was a problem.

My point is at this level obviously the client wants something that will reproduce well, but nobody is talking pixels, they're talking the look and they would much rather have the photograph than 10 or 20 more megapixels.

This forum gets fixated on camera formats, file sizes, new announcements, but at the end of the day once they money has been spent, the sets and have scratched and everyone has gone home to start selecting and to begin the post process, the most important thing is finding the shot that is  on the original creative brief.

Now not to get politically correct and say every camera is good and larger cameras are better, or to begin some kind of NASCAR nation  35mm vs. 645 brand war because those conversations go nowhere.

Still, at the end of the day, it's the shot, not the logo on the camera and I've never had a client know or care what Photokina is much less be concerned what is announced there.

We may get jazzed by new equipment (and in some ways we should) but our clients just want the shot man.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222387\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Clients aside, don't you find that when you get a great shot, not being able to fully pull every inch out of it is very frustrating creatively. Imagine a Goya without real proper blacks, turner without radiant highlights. I know my photographs have certain technical necessities to make them mine pictorially speaking. It seems to be the cool thing to make out technical things aren't so important in photography. I know the worlds greatest piano players, ballet dancers etc don't take such an approach (or should I say assume such a pose)  of disregard to technical requirements as photographers do. The camera does matter.

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Lacie WARNING
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 02:16:22 pm »

Thanks guys,
The original message from my post was not to whine about my losses.
I do understand the importance of back ups and multiple copies. My laptop has all the selects from each day of shoot saved as large jpgs. All raws were  saved in the folders on my MackBook pro before moved to external hard drive so with help of a time machine they can be recovered. I already have arrangements with Gillware Inc to recover the files from HD for $1800.
As far as putting files on line from remote location I believe that it is very unrealistic. Internet access is still luxury in lots of parts of the world where I am shooting and even if you get on line the rate of transfer is so slow that it would take forever to back up files.
As far as choosing between cameras and hard drives to take on a plane the call is also not that obvious. Two DB's with two sets of cameras mount to $100K and are the target number one of baggage handlers way before they would touch the HD. Besides over the years I also had my hand luggage stolen, had been rubbed on the way to plane etc. There truly is no way to protect yourself 100%.

My point is exactly what Anton wrote in his reply:

Wait wait wait...

You put the two existing copies of your data in checked baggage, which is insane. Then the airline lost one copy and broke the other, which is really not hard to predict. Airlines lose luggage all the time, and what they don't lose they break, and that is why I say it's insane to check hard drives.

Then you signed a form that says you understand that Lacie is responsible for the mechanism and not the data, and then you are surprised that you didn't get your data back? I'm sorry for your loss, but you are primarily the victim of your own actions, not Lacie's. Hopefully both you and other people can learn from the mistake.

Once the job is shot it's the hard drives that are the most valuable thing, not the cameras or lenses. If it comes to a choice of having to check something, the cameras, lenses, and laptops should all get checked before the hard drives.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I spoke to real person at costumer service at Lacie. I took his word his name and his assurance. I marked the box and the Lacie case with RED huge notes in hope that this will make it an IDIOT prove . What I got is a service that maybe Anton is acustom to in NYC but I still struggle with the direction were the world is going to. In my years in business I made massive deals based on man word and a hand shake. It seem that it means nothing anymore and to trust someone it means that you are stupid. I meant my post to be a warning. I personally will be fine regardless of outcome.
Andre
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:30:29 pm by AndreNapier »

Mitchell Baum

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 02:43:35 pm »

Snook's remark is nauseating.

Mitchell

Snook

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 03:05:59 pm »

Snook's remark is nauseating.

Mitchell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222428\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hope you have a barf bag near you then....

I changed it as it meant to say Monks...

But I guess that would offend you also...arrggggg!
Get over it

Snook

woof75

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 03:19:22 pm »

Hope you have a barf bag near you then....

I changed it as it meant to say Monks...

But I guess that would offend you also...arrggggg!
Get over it

Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222432\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's a sand monk?

Snook

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 03:47:42 pm »

What's a sand monk?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A Monk  that lives and hides in the sand... it was meant as a religious poke.
Sand Monk= Religious Fanatic who live in the sand and likes to throw Bombs at United Nations soldiers when they drive by...

Hope that is clear enough for you now but just in case:
[a href=\"http://wapedia.mobi/en/Monks]http://wapedia.mobi/en/Monks[/url]

Snook

revaaron

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 03:49:09 pm »

in it's original form, that is pretty much the least offensive thing I've read all day.
but I roll with a rough crowd.

Snook

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:14 pm »

in it's original form, that is pretty much the least offensive thing I've read all day.
but I roll with a rough crowd.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222440\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am used to it..
There are many ready to jump all over anything in here.. quite amusing actually.
That is how wars get started in the first place..

Anyways I would like to add that I do feel for the poster. It is an awful feeling right next to having your gear stolen..

But I bet you he will never put a HD underneath again..:+]
Snook

woof75

Lacie WARNING
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »

I am used to it..
There are many ready to jump all over anything in here.. quite amusing actually.
That is how wars get started in the first place..

Anyways I would like to add that I do feel for the poster. It is an awful feeling right next to having your gear stolen..

But I bet you he will never put a HD underneath again..:+]
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Racist remarks really can't be justified, not on a public forum read by people the world over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up