Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AF Confusion with 5DM2!  (Read 5791 times)

lovell

• http://
AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:58:57 am »

Phil Askey on DPreview says just one cross type (the center one).  Ron  G. agrees with Askey.

But the Canon site says 9!  And here is the verbatim cut & paste: "AF Points
 9 (Cross-type)"

I hope Canon is right and Dpreview is wrong!

I'm very disappointed about what seems is the carry-over of the Mark I AF set up.  I had hoped for 45 focus points!

All that aside, I love the specs and love the camera....but the bottom line are test shots, and noise levels...
After composition, everything else is secondary--Alfred Steiglitz, NYC, 1927.

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

DarkPenguin

AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:04:22 pm »

Andy Westlake at DPreview ...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=29360437

edit: they have the camera.  they can see the af sensors.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:04:54 pm by DarkPenguin »

Bernd B.

AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 12:04:29 pm »

One cross type sensor only would mean the same problems I have with my old 5D.

I donĀ“t have to buy another one.

Higher resolution but the same quite high mount of out of focus pictures.

Not a deal for me.

Bernd

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:43:32 pm »

Well what are you shooting ? I never had any problems with the 5D autofocus. It always depends on what you are doing. That doesn't mean Canon couldn't have upgraded the AF....
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

DarkPenguin

AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:18:38 pm »

Well what are you shooting ? I never had any problems with the 5D autofocus. It always depends on what you are doing. That doesn't mean Canon couldn't have upgraded the AF....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BIF are difficult with the old 5D/20D/30D/Xti AF.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 01:24:43 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222121\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

well that is true.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

GregW

• http://
AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:54:03 pm »

From the PDN article and interview:

Same Old Autofocus

One area that has not changed on the 5D Mark II from the original is the autofocus system which still uses the same 9-point selectable AF with 6 additional assist points around the center point. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Canon did not decide to go with the 19-point/16-assist point autofocus system which is used in its Mark III cameras. That system has faced fierce criticism from some photographers for providing allegedly unreliable autofocus.

In discussing why Canon's camera designers decided to stick with the older autofocus system on the 5D Mark II, Westfall said: "They felt they had a good working system and they didn't necessarily want to get involved in changing it at this stage."

Source: Canon Unveils Anxiously-Awaited 21.1-megapixel EOS 5D Mark II

BJL

AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 04:16:02 pm »

It seems that not only does the 5DMkII not have the 1Ds/1D AF system (in the way that the D700 has the D3 AF system); it does not even have the AF improvements of the 40D and 50D!

The pattern seems to be that the 5DII is mostly "a 40D/50D with a bigger sensor" (but older AF module!), much as the 5D was a "20D/30D with bigger sensor", apparently to keep the price down. Nikon instead has given the D700 a larger share of technology from its top-of-the-line D3.

On the positive side, I am happy that Canon has taken the "sensor technology sharing" approach, as with the D3/D700 and recent FourThirds bodies: use variations on the current best available sensor design in several models, differentiated by the cost and performance of other components, rather than hobbling less expensive models with lower quality sensors. (I did argue that it would be absurd for Canon to waste money designing a completely new sensor for the 5DMkII, just to make it inferior to that of the 1DsIII in resolution or whatever. But that 18MP myth was darned persistent!)

In fact, the 5DII sensor is a refinement of that in the 1DsIII, adding an extra year or two of technological progress in microlenses, CFA filters, and amplifier noise reduction. Will this sensor appear soon in a "1DsIIIN"? Either way, I expect some price reductions on the 1DsIII, and to see the benefits of economies of scale in sensor design and production on future 1Ds series pricing.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

I long for the day when sensors are so cheap that all cameras from a specific manufacturer have the same sensor.  Imagine a world where you bought a camera based on features that matched your shooting style/requirements; image quality would be the same across the board.

Sound distantly familiar?

Dave Chew

telyt

AF Confusion with 5DM2!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 10:01:35 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222121\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No worries, if it has an acronym, it's over-done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up