Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark II  (Read 11367 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 12:34:53 am »

I really don't understand why an inferior movie capability was added to the 5D. Sure, it's nice to have for those people who can buy a 5D to take pictures of their family and as a hobby, and have the movie capability as an extra, but why would a pro photographer need a video camera in his or her camera, and an inferior one at that? You can probably get much better quality buying a Sony digital video camera for 600 bucks.

That option definitely doesn't move me at all. It's as if Canon is just packing on whatever they can to raise the "wow" factor even when it does not help photography.

What would sell me is if the new 5D has lower noise than the 1DS3, along the lines of the Nikon D3. I'm not a sports shooter so nearly 4FPS is good enough for me, but if I were shooting sports I think I may rather have the 50D for the reach it gives, and the price.

I would much rather have seen the 5D w/no video camera and pro weather sealing.

If Canon didn't cripple the 5DII's ability to shoot max frame rates, that would indicate to me that the new Digic 4 processor is not as powerful as two Digic 3s, as in the 1DS3. But that also means two Digic 4s would be lots more powerful than two Digic3s.

Also, if the new 5D does not compete with the Nikon D3 in ISO noise levels, then the 5D may not compete with the D3 at all, since the D3 is a pro built and sealed camera and it's real selling point is it's ultra low noise at extremely--insanely--high ISO settings. For photo journalist, the indoor, low light capability of the D3 is now a competitive necessity; ditto for wedding photographers.

I'm not going to comment anymore on the 5DMKII until DP does their side by side testing. We'll know for sure what the real difference is between the cameras.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 01:29:11 am »

"Westfall noted that while the 5D Mark II's image sensor is the same resolution as the top-of-the-line Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, it's actually an improved version with lower noise."

"What we're saying is that because of the improvements to the sensor and the Digic 4 image processor this is going to be the highest image quality of any EOS digital SLR ever released," Westfall said. "We're raising the bar for EOS."

He added that image quality from the 5D Mark II should even surpass what is offered from Canon's flagship 1Ds Mark III, a camera which costs approximately $5,000 more.

http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/cont...8604cada830e4a8

Good job Canon, and thanks for nothing. Be a long time when I give you that much money again just 5 months before you better it. But that's technology.

And this means the 1DS4 is only a few months away.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:34:04 am by dwdallam »

woof75

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 09:32:32 am »

"Westfall noted that while the 5D Mark II's image sensor is the same resolution as the top-of-the-line Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, it's actually an improved version with lower noise."

"What we're saying is that because of the improvements to the sensor and the Digic 4 image processor this is going to be the highest image quality of any EOS digital SLR ever released," Westfall said. "We're raising the bar for EOS."

He added that image quality from the 5D Mark II should even surpass what is offered from Canon's flagship 1Ds Mark III, a camera which costs approximately $5,000 more.

http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/cont...8604cada830e4a8

Good job Canon, and thanks for nothing. Be a long time when I give you that much money again just 5 months before you better it. But that's technology.

And this means the 1DS4 is only a few months away.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222250\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, don't worry, your 1ds mark 3 will be just as good as when you bought it. You could probably sell your mark 3 second hand and only lose 1000 dollars or so on it and buy the 5d 2 if you felt like it.

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 09:43:52 am »

Hey, don't worry, your 1ds mark 3 will be just as good as when you bought it. You could probably sell your mark 3 second hand and only lose 1000 dollars or so on it and buy the 5d 2 if you felt like it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

and.... you can buy a lot of black berets for the $5k you'd save downgrading to the 5d2.

EgillBjarki

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 10:28:51 am »

I think that soon there will be a new 1Ds Mark IV, possible a Mark III N version with the same improved sensor and two digi 4 procesors in the near future. At the least one year from now.

I still have to see noice compareson between the Nikon D3/D700 and the 5D mark II to make up my mind about the new 5D Mark II. Canon could throw an internet browser and a fax machine in the camera, I would still look at noice performance, built qualety, focusing system and image qualety.

With 21MP you really need good glass, I'm not sure if all the L zoom's from Canon have so mutch optical resolution. The next generation will be very interesting if the consumers realise this because manufactures can't just keep pushing the MP up, they need to come up with a new sensor design with true color for each pixel like the foveon tecnology does.

Interesting times and grate things happening, I celebrate this encreased competition in the FF department of DSLR's!

bongobongo

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 10:29:17 am »

Found something interesting about the video mode on Nikon D90 here:
http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=DSC_0012.flv

Found that link here:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.ph...6573#post286573

Does anybody know if the 5D Mark II have the same problem?

alba63

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 03:44:58 am »

Chances are that we are getting pretty close to the limits of physics in terms of light gathering, etc... Lenses are already starting to be a real problem too.

Well, the pixel density in FF cameras is still quite conservative. About the same as in the 39MP MF backs (twice the sensor surface).

My impression is that it a company will be able to built true colour sensors withouth Bayer mask, this would be the next increase in sheer image quality, at least in terms of sharpness available. A - let's say - 16MP FF 3 colour sensor would challenge the lenses less because there is no inherent unsharpness through the Bayer mask.

I also read that sensors without AAf filters (and nevertheless good moire control) are being developed (Yes I know MF has had it since years, like my Kodak SLR-n). Both together open the path for a big increase in IQ, if they manage to control the drawbacks of a full color sensor....

After that, size is the next way up. Maybe it is true that Nikon will present an MF system in a few months.

Anyway, whenever someone has said - in the last 15 years - that the limits of the feasable have been reached, it was not true.

Digital photography is a very young discipline and it is against common sense and experience that progress is anywhere near it's end :-)

Progress is underestimated most of the time.

regards
Bernie
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up