Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark II  (Read 11368 times)

MorganAdam

Canon 5D Mark II
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:04:08 am »

UPDATE: Main Thread On This Forum

Check out this link... it's only about the new battery, but little bits of other info are there. Including a movie mode.
Canon 5D Mark II

Update: Press Release on dpreview
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:52:05 am by MorganAdam »

MorganAdam

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:06:36 am »

Two more links...

Peripheral Illumination Correction

Quick Control Screen

Some info from the pages:

Digic 4 processor
3.9 frames per second (using the PIC option, maybe faster without?)
3 inch LCD
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:11:59 am by MorganAdam »

DarkPenguin

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 12:57:44 am »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:57:56 am »

deleted ... didn't see the other thread
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:59:49 am by Wayne Fox »

EgillBjarki

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:40:53 am »

I'm very much looking forward to tests, specially on high ISO. I'm a little suprised the new 5D Mark II has features that the 1Ds Mark III does not have and matches resolution, not like Canon. Maby this is due to competition from both Nikon and Sony, eighter way this is a very good development for the consumers!

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 02:05:07 am »

I'm very much looking forward to tests, specially on high ISO. I'm a little suprised the new 5D Mark II has features that the 1Ds Mark III does not have and matches resolution, not like Canon. Maby this is due to competition from both Nikon and Sony, eighter way this is a very good development for the consumers!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There are some important differences for the professional however - including the facts that:
1DS MK3 is 100% viewfinder coverage - not 98%
250th X sync - not 200th
300,000 shutter cycle - not 150,000
Full weather sealing - not environmental sealing?
Built in grip - not an optional extra
6FPS - not 3.9
Superior Auto Focus in the 1DSMK3 - looks like the new 5D uses the same auto focus as the original

As to wether thats worth the $ difference - that will depend on the individual.
Edit - For me it is definitely worth it - but I will no doubt end up with a 5D MKII as a back up. - and if I get grief from annoying gear heads that their 5D MKII is better than the 1DSMK3 I can always clock them over the head with the 1D - that should silence them :-) ]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:35:23 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 02:52:22 am »

Hi
Really got to hand it to Canon! Not only do they counter Nikon on the high iso they also put motion into this camera! At a price of $2699.00 USD how will this affect MFD?
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Ray

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 03:05:49 am »

There are some important differences for the professional however - including the facts that:
1DS MK3 is 100% viewfinder coverage - not 98%
250th X sync - not 200th
300,000 shutter cycle - not 150,000
Full weather sealing - not environmental sealing?
Built in grip - not an optional extra
6FPS - not 3.9
Superior Auto Focus in the 1DSMK3 - looks like the new 5D uses the same auto focus as the original

As to wether thats worth the $ difference - that will depend on the individual.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221945\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

These points should be great consolation to those who have splashed out on a 1Ds3, seriously. For a professional, 300,000 shutter cycles does mean something. For the amateur who takes the ocasional few shots now and again, it means nothing. He/she cannot imagine taking a 100,000 shots during the lifetime of the camera.

6fps is a big jump over 3.9 frames. My 40D is capable of 6.5 fps, so it's still useful, and weather sealing is critical for the professional when not taking the shots because it's raining is not an option.

I imagine that some owners of a 1Ds3 will be a bit pissed off. If high ISO noise proves to be lower in the 5D MKII, they might have some cause for their disillusionment, and i certainly expect high ISO noise to be less in the 5D MkII.

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 03:08:53 am »

Very good news for me, as until recently I was only initially expecting a 17Mp camera at this price point.

This will sit nicely alongside my 1DsII which will be useful for days when I need to shoot in the pouring rain.

I don't have a professional use for the video yet, but 1080p with the 70-200 IS 2.8 L should make some very pretty home-movies.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 03:53:17 am »

Hi
Really got to hand it to Canon! Not only do they counter Nikon on the high iso they also put motion into this camera! At a price of $2699.00 USD how will this affect MFD?
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The reason its 2700 is they are anticipating the Great Depression of the 21st Century coming up soon with the collapse of the US economy.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 05:19:54 am »

21MPs--lol

From DP

Pre-Photokina 2008: After a week or so of teaser ads Canon has finally unveiled the successor to the venerable EOS 5D, the world's first 'compact' full frame digital SLR. The EOS 5D Mark II boasts a new 21MP CMOS sensor, an expanded ISO range of 50-25,600 and a wealth of improvements and new features including full 1080p HD movie recording, live view, 3.0" 920k dot LCD, DIGIC IV processor, increased battery capacity and sensor dust reduction. UPDATE: Body-only prices: US: $ 2,699, EU: € 2,499, UK: £ 2,299.

bongobongo

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 07:29:57 am »

Looks like a very nice camera

What I would like to see is is a flippable display.

How do you shoot video with this if you are not able to look at the screen.... e.g. let say you want to shoot your toddler or something low... but you want to walk.... and you do not want an eagle's perspective

Maybe one can buy an external monitor and attach it to the hot-shoe and then connect it to the HDMI outlet..... but that will drain the battery and make the whole unit more clumsy...
BUT WHY on earth not make the display movable is beyond me.

Then there is 98% viewfinder coverage... come on... Canon we want 100%

And no PRO weather sealing....

I belive the reason for 98 and no PRO weather sealing is that they (canon) belive it will hurt the 1 series sales.....

But a flippable display would make the Video shooting more practical and WOULD NOT hurt the 1 series sales.

Except for that I belive this is one H*** of a camera.

Now lets see what the other man.. has to say at Photokina...
What about the organic sensor from Fuji......?
What about a FF sensor from Foveon......?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:31:32 am by bongobongo »

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 08:08:27 am »

I think it's good... I wouldn't have minded seeing pro level AF on it for even an extra $400... but, the 1080P movie function will be the selling point for me and this camera. The fact that it's 21mp will help it blend in with my 1dsIII very easily as well.

That said, I certainly hope Canon release a firmware update for the 1Ds to give us a few extra possibilities... And it'd be nice if Canon (out of the goodness of their heart... HA HA!) would offer a free upgrade on 3rd gen 1 series camera' on the VGA screen... Again, not a selling point, but it'd be nice. ^_~

Oh, and a buffer upgrade like Nikon are charging for.

That said... Maybe with the recent problems with three Japanese banks brought on my the economic crisis in the US will affect them too.

SeanBK

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:25 am »

Don't know why this redundant thread is going on in "....shooting techniques", as the other thread in "...shooting gear" already does have a load of relevent info.
    http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=27975

Also check out the consise specs at Pdnonline;   http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/cont...8604cada830e4a8
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:15:29 am by SeanBK »

bcooter

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 09:43:28 am »

Hi
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what this speaks for cameras in complete terms i believe is what is important.

a professional digital camera that is now to the money of the film cameras.

it do not think it it will replace medium format as of yet.  i do think that every professional will own a new 5d.

medium format will be replaced by the next canon 1ds and the nikon and for the rich people the new leica.

woof75

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 10:34:35 am »

what this speaks for cameras in complete terms i believe is what is important.

a professional digital camera that is now to the money of the film cameras.

it do not think it it will replace medium format as of yet.  i do think that every professional will own a new 5d.

medium format will be replaced by the next canon 1ds and the nikon and for the rich people the new leica.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's still a fundamentally different technology though. There has been no breakthrough to change that. What I am seeing from canon, and I am quite excited by what there bringing out, are more canons with canon image characteristics, refined and improved but still just different. The thing I'm really hoping for from this and the most important thing for me is a reduced AA filter, we'll see.

citizenjoe

• Antarctica 2016
    • www.HughConacher.com
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 10:43:35 am »

I'm thinking, this is fantastic, and wondering, with spec's like these, what will the 1Ds mark IV be like?

Cheers,
Hugh
Hugh, from Winnipeg.

MorganAdam

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 11:49:17 am »

Don't know why this redundant thread is going on in "....shooting techniques", as the other thread in "...shooting gear" already does have a load of relevent info.
    http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=27975

Also check out the consise specs at Pdnonline;   http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguide/cont...8604cada830e4a8
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I started the post here because there were two forum categories, one for "cameras" and one for "digital cameras." In my mind the 5D Mk II fell into the latter, but I am newer to the site than others. It was late at night, I got the link and didn't see another post here and wasn't looking for it in the other...

gss

Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 04:20:29 pm »

I started the post here because there were two forum categories, one for "cameras" and one for "digital cameras." In my mind the 5D Mk II fell into the latter, but I am newer to the site than others. It was late at night, I got the link and didn't see another post here and wasn't looking for it in the other...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.  Checking the post times, yours was initiated only 2 minutes after the other.  You can hardly be held accountable for missing it.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Canon 5D Mark II
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 09:40:53 pm »

I'm thinking, this is fantastic, and wondering, with spec's like these, what will the 1Ds mark IV be like?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My guess is that Canon is wondering as well...

Chances are that we are getting pretty close to the limits of physics in terms of light gathering, etc... Lenses are already starting to be a real problem too.

So as of now, I don't really see what a 1ds4 could offer that would bring significant real world value compared to the current line up.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up