Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D Mark II Announced!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 65061 times)

BruceHouston

5D Mark II Announced!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 01:53:56 am »

Hmm, not certain about that, as DPReview says:
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221936\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

See the specs/features on the Canon USA website.

It appears that EF-S lenses cannot be used in video mode.

RobertJ

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 01:55:16 am »

EF-S lenses cannot be used PERIOD.

BruceHouston

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 02:02:40 am »

EF-S lenses cannot be used PERIOD.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you look at the Canon USA website as I suggested, or are you just spouting off "randomly" as my teenage daughter would say?

[a href=\"http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17662#ModelFeaturesAct]http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...odelFeaturesAct[/url]

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 02:02:47 am »

Are there any sites that had a pre-release model, with initial impressions posted?

Paul Sumi

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 02:04:18 am »

The 24mm f1.4L II USM to go with it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If the IQ is there, the new 24mm is REALLY tempting.

Paul

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 02:04:41 am »

Rob Galbraith has a good write-up up. Essentially new sensor, processor, LCD and old body / shutter / AF, albeit with minor improvements. And, of course, video.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...cid=7-9316-9603
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:06:10 am by NikosR »
Nikos

BruceHouston

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 02:05:38 am »

Are there any sites that had a pre-release model, with initial impressions posted?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I doubt it, since DPR says that they were just handed their copy at the release and promised to post their "hands-on review" later today.

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 02:11:45 am »

for clarification.

from the linked Canon USA site.
Shooting and Sharing Made Easy.
Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories.

EF & EF-S Lenses
The EOS 5D Mark II is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Special optical technologies, such as Aspherical, ultra-low dispersion, or fluorite elements are featured in the universally acclaimed L-series lenses. And Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer technology is featured in select lenses to minimize the effect of camera shake. Through Canon lenses, photographers can truly maximize the quality and liberating performance of the EOS 5D Mark II.

not sure if that is entirely clear. the two bold sections seem to be midly contradictory

also on the .jp site the lenses only specify 50 EF* lenses compatible. then later in the page it says "* Except EF-S lenses"

so no EF-S lensess i don't think

NikosR

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 02:13:34 am »

for clarification.

not sure if that is entirely clear. the two bold sections seem to be midly contradictory

also on the .jp site the lenses only specify 50 EF* lenses compatible. then later in the page it says "* Except EF-S lenses"

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221947\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Canon US info on the 5DII seem to be all over the place. Bad cut-and-paste work from the 50D IMO.
Nikos

Paul Sumi

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 02:15:15 am »

Did you look at the Canon USA website as I suggested, or are you just spouting off "randomly" as my teenage daughter would say?

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...odelFeaturesAct
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bruce, as far as I can tell, there is absolutely no mention of 5DII compatibility with EF-S lenses in the document you reference or anywhere else I've read so far.

In fact, under "specs" for the 5DII Canon says says:

Compatible Lenses
   Canon EF lenses
        (35mm-equivalent focal length is approx. 1.6x the lens focal length)
Lens Mount
   Canon EF mount

(Although it looks like they mistakenly mixed in a bit of the 50D announcement with that mention of "35mm-equivalent focal length is approx. 1.6x...")

The only thing I can think of is that you're looking at specs for the EOS 50D?

Paul

BruceHouston

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 02:16:57 am »

Can anyone find any availability statement?

Canon USA lists availability of the new lens as October, but I do not see the Mark II availability.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221937\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Availability end of November, per Galbraith.  Jees, now that they've announced it, they have to go figure out how to build it by the bizillions.  

BruceHouston

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 02:20:04 am »

Bruce, as far as I can tell, there is absolutely no mention of 5DII compatibility with EF-S lenses in the document you reference or anywhere else I've read so far.

In fact, under "specs" for the 5DII Canon says says:

Compatible Lenses
   Canon EF lenses
        (35mm-equivalent focal length is approx. 1.6x the lens focal length)
Lens Mount
   Canon EF mount

(Although it looks like they mistakenly mixed in a bit of the 50D announcement with that mention of "35mm-equivalent focal length is approx. 1.6x...")

The only thing I can think of is that you're looking at specs for the EOS 50D?

Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221950\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Paul,

The link that I posted should take you to the "features" tab of the 5D Mark II on the Canon USA website.

Click on the link for the last feature in red, "Compatible with over 60 Canon EF/EF-S lenses and most EOS System accessories."

BruceHouston

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 02:22:24 am »

for clarification.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221947\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right.  But I believe that the "* Except EF-S lenses" is located under a video mode description.  I could be wrong, though (and usually am).  

Ray

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 02:25:01 am »

I think we can confidently declare that Canon have risen to the challenge of asserting their status as Numero Uno in relation to Nikon and Sony.

The 5D MkII hasn't got everything, however. I don't see auto ISO in relation to a specified aperture and shutter speed. The lack of such a feature has sometimes got me into trouble when, for example, I'm trekking along a mountain track with camera in 'aperture priority' mode, and a Tibetan horseman races around the corner.

I've got no time to change ISO to accommodate a higher shutter speed and the opportunity for a sharp shot is missed.

I shall appreciate the HD video a lot. I've often wondered why manufacturers of DSLRs have not included such a feature.

In these times of impending recession and financial turmoil, I think Canon have positioned themselves well. This camera will sell like hot cakes.

NikosR

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2008, 02:29:53 am »

I think we can confidently declare that Canon have risen to the challenge of asserting their status as Numero Uno in relation to Nikon and Sony.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221956\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Depends one one's criteria, doesn't it Ray? You want MPs and video, fine (IQ and High ISO quality to be seen). You want AF, responsiveness, shooting features (including properly implemented auto-ISO as you point out) and PROVEN High ISO quality, no.

We are living in interesting times at the moment and the one thing I can say is that noone can say who's Numero Uno at the moment (probably noone IMO)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:35:47 am by NikosR »
Nikos

BruceHouston

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2008, 02:30:53 am »

Right.  But I believe that the "* Except EF-S lenses" is located under a video mode description.  I could be wrong, though (and usually am).   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

See also the Galbraith article:

"A vignette control (Canon calls this "Peripheral Illumination Correction") that adjusts the amount of edge and corner brightening it applies to in-camera JPEGs based on the Canon lens attached. Canon has profiled the vignette characteristics of 82 lenses past and present (of about 125 Canon EF and EF-S lenses developed to date); the camera can store up to 40 such profiles, and the camera will come already loaded with 26."

NikosR

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 02:34:04 am »

See also the Galbraith article:

"A vignette control (Canon calls this "Peripheral Illumination Correction") that adjusts the amount of edge and corner brightening it applies to in-camera JPEGs based on the Canon lens attached. Canon has profiled the vignette characteristics of 82 lenses past and present (of about 125 Canon EF and EF-S lenses developed to date); the camera can store up to 40 such profiles, and the camera will come already loaded with 26."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221958\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is the standard description of the 'PIC' function. Not necessarily applicable verbatim to the 5DII.

Look, the reason EF-S lenses have not been compatible with Canon's non-APS cameras has always been the fact that they intrude in the mirror box (as 1.3 and FF cameras require a larger mirror than APS). So, unless someone comes up with a reasonable explanation of how Canon have managed to overcome this limitation I will choose to believe that Canon US have screwed up on the info they have put on their site.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:37:42 am by NikosR »
Nikos

Ray

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2008, 02:41:40 am »

Depends one one's criteria, doesn't it Ray? You want MPs and video good (IQ and High ISO quality to be seen). You want AF, responsiveness, shooting features (including properly implemented auto-ISO as you point out) and PROVEN High ISO quality, no.

We are living in interesting times at the moment and the one thing I can say is that noone can say who's Numero Uno at the moment (probably noone IMO)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221957\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, everything depends on one's own criteria, and I agree it's early days for definitive conclusions.

However, the 3 year wait for a 5D upgrade has been worth it. I'm a bit dismayed at incremental improvements in camera technology which encourage one to keep up with the Jones' and essentially waste money. I'm pleased my current 5D has had good use. It's been repaired once. I'm close to the 100,000 shutter activations. I'm ready for an upgrade, and here it comes. Just in time   .

BruceHouston

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2008, 02:43:06 am »

This is the standard description of the 'PIC' function. Not necessarily applicable verbatim to the 5DII.

Look, the reason EF-S lenses have not been compatible with Canon's non-APS cameras has always been the fact that they intrude in the mirror box (as 1.3 and FF cameras require a larger mirror than APS). So, unless someone comes up with a reasonable explanation of how Canon have managed to overcome this limitation I will choose to believe that Canon US have screwed up on the info they have put on their site.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could well be right.  Could the references to "half mirror" in the write-ups have anything to do with this subject?

NikosR

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 02:45:08 am »

You could well be right.  Could the references to "half mirror" in the write-ups have anything to do with this subject?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221963\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No.
Nikos
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up