Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control of roll paper in epson R1900  (Read 5259 times)

redwoodtwig

• http://brandonsmithgallery.com
Control of roll paper in epson R1900
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:52:32 pm »

So I made my first print on roll paper on my new Epson R1900.  The quality was superb, but it bothered me that the printer settings for roll paper said it was A3, not a roll.  The image I sent was sized to 11x14, but it printed it along one edge at 8x11 or so.

Based on what follows, though, I'm no longer confident that I'm going to be able to get the image full size and centered.  The Epson site recommends using the Windows Vista photo program for printing, which is what I did.  Neither photoshop nor lightroom seem to have anyway to deal with roll paper.  Suggestions from those who have figured out how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

I figure I could work out how to get the full size eventually, but the real problem I'm having is that the manual says to advance the paper, so I push that button and six more feet of paper pushes through the printer, causing me to scramble to keep it from hitting the floor.  So I arrange something so I can make a nice straight cut to get my print free.

Now the manual says to press and hold the paper advance button for three seconds to get the paper to roll back onto the roll.  I do, and 6 more feet of paper scrolls forward.  OK, maybe it wasn't 3 seconds, I try again, counting one-thousand one etc.  This time it seems like 12 feet scrolls forward.  I am stuck.  I find that turning the rollers to pull the paper back quickly starts damaging the sides of the paper.  So I cut off the 12 feet or so that's already gone through...

Surely there's a better way to do this?  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon Smith
Brandon Smith
[url=http://www.gigapan.or

oldshadow

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:42:56 pm »

So I made my first print on roll paper on my new Epson R1900.  The quality was superb, but it bothered me that the printer settings for roll paper said it was A3, not a roll.  The image I sent was sized to 11x14, but it printed it along one edge at 8x11 or so.

Based on what follows, though, I'm no longer confident that I'm going to be able to get the image full size and centered.  The Epson site recommends using the Windows Vista photo program for printing, which is what I did.  Neither photoshop nor lightroom seem to have anyway to deal with roll paper.  Suggestions from those who have figured out how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

I figure I could work out how to get the full size eventually, but the real problem I'm having is that the manual says to advance the paper, so I push that button and six more feet of paper pushes through the printer, causing me to scramble to keep it from hitting the floor.  So I arrange something so I can make a nice straight cut to get my print free.

Now the manual says to press and hold the paper advance button for three seconds to get the paper to roll back onto the roll.  I do, and 6 more feet of paper scrolls forward.  OK, maybe it wasn't 3 seconds, I try again, counting one-thousand one etc.  This time it seems like 12 feet scrolls forward.  I am stuck.  I find that turning the rollers to pull the paper back quickly starts damaging the sides of the paper.  So I cut off the 12 feet or so that's already gone through...

Surely there's a better way to do this?  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon Smith
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221850\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

oldshadow

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:49:25 pm »

Also have this printer, had to use "user defined" in paper size to get it to print correctly for roll paper when printing panos. The unload button worked as advertised for me.

redwoodtwig

• http://brandonsmithgallery.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 12:15:14 am »

Also have this printer, had to use "user defined" in paper size to get it to print correctly for roll paper when printing panos. The unload button worked as advertised for me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you.  I've been playing with user defined and it seems to work properly when I print from Windows photo viewer on Vista, the epson recommended way to print.  Still not quite getting colors and such quite the way I want, and still not quite sure how to get it to print the next one spaced out right from the previous one.  Those are both things I feel I'll get the hang of.

However, I was wondering how you cut off a print when the border line is located just behind the front edge of the lower feed out extension?  I'm pretty good with a straight edge and an exacto knife, but there's no surface I can bear down on so I have to use scissors and, though I'm ok, I know it's not straight and I'll need to make another cut before I feed it through again.  I tried pressing the feed button but repeated presses only seem to make it go forward to this position, or back to the ready to print position.  I can no longer just make it scroll forward so my banner can be cut off with a knife and straight edge on the table.

And yes, the 3 second thing did work for me finally.  I noticed there is a distinct click sound that occurs before it does the roll back.
Brandon Smith
[url=http://www.gigapan.or

oldshadow

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 01:12:29 pm »

In one of the printer dialog boxes there is an option to have it print a dotted line for trimming, and yes I have to scissors. The cut line must be straight or it will not feed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up