Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragon Fly Mania  (Read 2956 times)

JohnKoerner

Dragon Fly Mania
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:59:16 pm »

The "Bloody Red Baron" is colored like a US Patriot 8-)

Jack

dalethorn

Dragon Fly Mania
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:53:12 pm »

I'm curious about the G9 macro capability.  Did you use zoom, or just sneak up on the insects?  The reason I ask is because the zoom on most small cameras with macro increases the minimum focus distance exponentially compared to the amount of zoom.

BruceHouston

Dragon Fly Mania
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:35:21 pm »

I'm curious about the G9 macro capability.  Did you use zoom, or just sneak up on the insects?  The reason I ask is because the zoom on most small cameras with macro increases the minimum focus distance exponentially compared to the amount of zoom.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221866\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use a Panasonic DMC-TZ3 with a diopter lens clipped to piece of PVC pipe, the PVC pipe pressure-fitted onto a bezel on the TZ3 through which the lens barrel extends.  The TZ3 has a very sharp Zeiss lens that zooms 28-280mm (35mm equivalent).  The 3-inch or so long PVC pipe decreases the minimum focus distance; and the lens barrel zooms inside the PVC pipe.

I suggested to Jack last year that a P&S may be better than a DSLR for live bug photos because the P&S is so much lighter and smaller, thus increasing the stealth factor.  The depth-of-field is so short though, that after the camera locks focus, you move it back and forth slightly to choose which portion of the bug to be in focus.  Judging from Jack's shots, his setup may have better depth-of-field.

I also use a very thin, light, cheap monopod to increase stability.

Regards,
Bruce

JohnKoerner

Dragon Fly Mania
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 11:47:48 pm »

Dale, I may have had the zoom touched just a bit, I can't remember. With the G9 if you hit the zoom "too much" it won't focus anymore in macro.

Bruce, as for the other help, I had none. I have a beautiful Giottos tripod that was inside while I was outside.

My G9 was just handheld and gradually brought-in closer. In my other hand was a longneck bottle of Corona suds (about my 5th one that afternoon), LOL, but I was able to hold fairly steady. I was just having some summer fun and thought I'd share

Jack

Pages: [1]   Go Up