Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next upgrade from CS 2  (Read 3962 times)

thewanderer

Next upgrade from CS 2
« on: September 14, 2008, 06:12:46 pm »

I am still running on CS 2, what are the current options for upgrading to the latest version of CS an lightroom,

what is the latest and will i have to do two upgrades to get caught up,  just trying to figure out the best step take,

i run on Apple systems,

GuyScharf

Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:29:26 pm »

what is the latest and will i have to do two upgrades to get caught up,  just trying to figure out the best step take,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221456\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Lightroom 2 was released about a month ago.  There are some problems with 2.0; you might consider waiting for a fixed release, which I hope won't be too long.

Adobe is scheduled to announce the CS4 family on Sept 23rd.  Probably best to wait and see.  Upgrade policy has not been announced.  In the past, Adobe has allowed upgrading from a few versions back in one step.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:09:21 pm by GuyScharf »

thewanderer

Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:36:16 pm »

as an aside,   can you get just lightroom/acr dont do any real heavy image editing, and cs 2 has usually done the trick, levels curves and saturation and usm, \\

or is it a bundle that you have to get

Richowens

Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:56:33 pm »

No, it is not a bundle. LR2 and Photoshop are standalone applications which can work together.

I am using LR2 with CS2, works great.

HTH

Rich

Per Ofverbeck

• http://elgfoto.se
Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:01:00 am »

... I am using LR2 with CS2, works great.

So am I, and on an Intel Mac Pro (10.5.4).  The latest additions to Lightroom makes it unlikely that I´ll want to pay for updating Photoshop anytime soon; I only go to Photoshop for about one image out of twenty....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:01:44 am by Per Ofverbeck »
Per Ofverbeck
My

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 06:12:24 am »

I've been using Lightroom since the beta 1 release and I've been a Photoshop user since version 2.

Since upgrading to the release version of LR 2 when it came out over a month ago, I find myself using PS very little these days. The gradient and spot correction tools in LR 2 are awesome. Also the sharpening and printing is so good, that I rarely print from PS anymore and I have not printed from Image Print RIP in months.

95% of my work is straight photography so I rarely need the heavy pixel editing capabilities of PS. There are a few bugs in LR 2 as a previous poster noted, however, these are minor and the features of LR2 are well worth the upgrade.

I'm running LR on a MacBookPro 15" and MacPro 8-core. LR is a great product that will only get better.

Cheers.
Bud James
North Wales, PA
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:12:53 am by budjames »
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

thewanderer

Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 12:30:06 am »

so what do i need to purchase, the camera raw program or the light room program or is the camera raw inside the lightroom program,,

it used to be so simple!!

Richowens

Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:09:45 am »

Lightroom2.0 is also a raw convertor using the same pipeline as Adobe Camera Raw 4.5. It supports the same cameras as ACR4.5.

Probably 80 percent of my work is done entirely in Light Room, including printing.

Some people have complained of poor performance, hangs, crashes and other maladies even on some high end machines, both Mac and PC. There are some bugs in the program that the Adobe engineers are aware of and are working to squash.

On my modest machines, a desktop with an AMD 2.0Ghz dual core, 2 gigs of ram running XPSP2, and a laptop with a 2.0ghz dualcore,1 gig of ram running Vista, performance is satisfactory.

HTH

Rich

thewanderer

Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 11:56:27 pm »

one last question here on lightroom purchase

do i need to buy a base lightroom program, or with lightroom 2 intergrate as an upgrade or fit into the CS 2 format,, i saw the LR 2 program for sale for about 99.00 USD.... Is that the version i need or is there a higher priced base program that i need to purchase first for what i would guess would be 2-300..

GuyScharf

Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 02:15:43 am »

one last question here on lightroom purchase

do i need to buy a base lightroom program, or with lightroom 2 intergrate as an upgrade or fit into the CS 2 format,, i saw the LR 2 program for sale for about 99.00 USD.... Is that the version i need or is there a higher priced base program that i need to purchase first for what i would guess would be 2-300..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
$99 would be an upgrade or academic price for Lightroom 2.  The normal retail price is higher.  The upgrade is no good without LR 1 and the academic version requires you meet Adobe's academic requirements.  There is no point in buying LR 1 any more as LR 2 has been released.

Lightroom and Photoshop are separate programs, although they work together.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Next upgrade from CS 2
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 06:03:56 am »

If you or your children are full time students, then you can get great deals on Adobe and other software at Academic Superstore

50 to 60% discounts are not unusual.

BTW, IMHO you need both Lightroom and Photoshop. If your retouching needs are modest, you can probably get by with Photoshop Elements instead of the full version of Photoshop CS3 (CS4 was just announced and will ship mid-Oct).

Cheers.
Bud James
North Wales, PA
www.budjamesphotography.com
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:04:33 am by budjames »
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up