Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricanes  (Read 6781 times)

Rob C

Hurricanes
« on: September 14, 2008, 02:52:23 pm »

Just thought I´d like to offer you guys in the States my best wishes for a speedy recovery from all that hell that´s been hitting you.

I thought New Orleans was once in anyone´s lifetime - guess I was mistaken.

I don´t suppose there are any easy or human answers/solutions that anyone can come up with, but I sure hope somebody somewhere is thinking about the things that really matter to our survival. I´m nowhere near the States, but with the coast just about one-and-a-half kilometres away across pretty flat land, I share the apprehensions.

Good luck.

Rob C

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Hurricanes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 06:23:53 pm »

Thanks, Rob.  In Baton Rouge, we are some 90 miles inland but with near hurricane force winds from Gustav we were all without power for several days and some much longer.  Then Ike came along and we had tropical storm winds even on the fringes of Ike.  Most of the damage was from falling trees that knocked down power lines and/or fell onto houses.  Today, there are people still without electric power.  

I'm sure that we will hear horror stories from Houston for many weeks.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Rob C

Hurricanes
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:03:41 am »

Thanks, Rob.  In Baton Rouge, we are some 90 miles inland but with near hurricane force winds from Gustav we were all without power for several days and some much longer.  Then Ike came along and we had tropical storm winds even on the fringes of Ike.  Most of the damage was from falling trees that knocked down power lines and/or fell onto houses.  Today, there are people still without electric power. 

I'm sure that we will hear horror stories from Houston for many weeks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Gordon

As I´ve mentioned a few times, my regular music when at the computer comes to me courtesy klrzfm.com out of Larose; when it falls silent or there are only public help announcements, I realise yet again just how small the world has become, how we are all so closely interconnected. I wish people would be more aware of that and try to live life accordingly. This could be a wonderful place and time to be alive.

Best wishes - Rob C

Geoff Wittig

Hurricanes
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:50:15 am »

Just thought I´d like to offer you guys in the States my best wishes for a speedy recovery from all that hell that´s been hitting you.

I thought New Orleans was once in anyone´s lifetime - guess I was mistaken.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221414\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Once in a lifetime?
This is the future, and it's not pretty. A century ago hurricanes were more likely to hit vacant coastline than anything else, but the occasional calamity still occured. Now we have the entire Carribean/gulf/Florida/Carolinas coast built up with endless ranks of hotels, cottages and vacation homes packed side-by-side like sardines, from Mexico to Cape Hatteras. Now when a hurricane makes landfall there's nothing but humanity to hit. Add in a bit of 'hurricane steroids' (i.e. global warming) and Katrina is just a preview of what's coming.

For an intelligent species we can be pretty dumb.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Hurricanes
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:01:22 am »

Hi Gordon

...I realise yet again just how small the world has become, how we are all so closely interconnected. I wish people would be more aware of that and try to live life accordingly. This could be a wonderful place and time to be alive.

Best wishes - Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm with you Rob C...it'll take a change of human consciousness, one human at a time, to bring this awareness about...

sadly, it seems humanity is sold on the dream of money and power...

kind regards

M

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Hurricanes
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:23:15 pm »

For an intelligent species we can be pretty dumb.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, but humans can be pretty good when things are bad.  The stories coming out of Galveston and Houston are touching, some very sad, but so many people are helping each other and will continue to.

Texas will rebound quickly.

Still, people that built and lived on Galveston Island knew they were always in a storm path, that's why Galveston is called a barrier island and Texans are stubborn and didn't want to leave their homes.

I can understand that.  I was in NY last week but flew to my Dallas studio for the weekend as the weather report said even Dallas would be hit, but got lucky and had zero weather issues.

JR

macgyver

Hurricanes
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:15:20 am »

Rob C , thank's for your well wishes. I'm from the Houston, Texas area; my family still lives in a suburb north of the city, and I live about an hour away. Even where I live we got strong winds and fallen trees and a good deal of rain. My folks (and the area they live in) back home are without power for anywhere from a few days to a month or so (and we were very, very lucky too!). At the moment, I have family and friends bunked up in my apartment while conditions improve and know a lot of people who have it much worse than we.

The city of Galveston was especially hard hit. It's the only time I've ever heard government officials  warn people to evacuate "or face certain death". I spent some time before the storm hit photographing evacuated persons being brought by plane to the city I live in for my local university newspaper. It just broke my heart.

My family was lucky. The community they live in took some damage but was far enough north that  nothing horribly drastic happened. We lost power and a couple of trees, that's it.

I'd encourage people, whether in Texas, or the USA or anywhere in the world to think about donating some time or money to efforts like the Red Cross. You may never need, it but others will.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:17:20 am by macgyver »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Hurricanes
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 02:03:41 am »

I'll jump in here on Rob's thread and add my best wishes for a speedy recovery to those affected...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

paulbk

Hurricanes
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 05:38:50 pm »

re: “This is the future, and it's not pretty.” -- Geoff Wittig

I’m with Geoff. An economy--even the U.S. economy--can only afford so many hurricanes. And given the predictions of a warming planet it will only get worse. Sooner or later severe restrictions on coast line development and upgraded building codes must be enacted and enforced.

I think most people in Galveston had no idea of the power they were dealing with. They know now. As Pogo says, “We’ve met the enemy and he is us.”

p
paul b.k.
New England, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up