Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SINAR RAW file conversion to DNG  (Read 10067 times)

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
SINAR RAW file conversion to DNG
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:15:14 am »

Comparing Capture Shop to the current version of EXPOSURE, I find that the feature set of Exposure more limiting.  However, I do like the ability to read files from the CF card into the RAW conversion program and converting them to DNG a better workflow for me.

Given the richness of PHOTOSHOP's feature set, the sooner I can get from SINAR's RAW to DNG, where PHOTOSHOP can take over, would seem to offer advantages that other paths do not yet provide.

Is there now, or is a means anticipated that would allow for conversion from SINAR RAW (eMotion 75 LV) to DNG?

Thanks in advance for the consistently excellent advice.

Jerry Reed

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:43:03 am »

Yes, there is a great utility which does just that. See http://www.brumbaer.de/Tools/Brumbaer_Tools.html

Unfortunately it will no longer be supported. On the positive side, Sinar's latest back writes DNGs internally and I expect future Sinar backs will follow this example, making this utility unnecessary before too long.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:16:06 am »

Yes, there is a great utility which does just that. See http://www.brumbaer.de/Tools/Brumbaer_Tools.html

Unfortunately it will no longer be supported. On the positive side, Sinar's latest back writes DNGs internally and I expect future Sinar backs will follow this example, making this utility unnecessary before too long.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221354\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Graham,

I thought that I needed to off-load the files from the back into EXPOSURE, and only after they were IMPORTED were they then available as DNG.  The e75 LV is a pretty recent SINAR product, yes?  I was hoping to eliminate the route through EXPOSURE.  Going from CF>unknown software>Photoshop.

Jerry

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:26:31 am »

Yes, the route I showed you skips Exposure altogether. You use the eMotionReader utility to extract files from the CF card, and then eMotionDng to convert them.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 10:31:24 am »

hi Jerry,

Let me explain you how it is with eXposure:

- the Sinar RAWs (.IA and .BR files) are taken into eXposure, from the back's internal memory or from CF card, while transferring they are automatically converted into DNGs: there are no longer RAW files (.IA and .BR files) available in eXposure. This is a pretty straight forwarded workflow.
The current Sinar eXposure 6.0 can handle all Sinarback eMotion files (eMotion 22, eMotion 54 LV, eMotion 75 and eMotion 75 LV) and the version 6.1 will handle as well the Sinarback eVolution 75 H files (released at Photokina in 1 week).

and following the workflow with the new Sinar Hy6 - 65 and the Sinarback eSprit 65.

- the new Sinar Hy6 - 65 camera (31 MPx) and the new Sinarback eSprit 65 have an on-board processing converting files into DNGs and/or JPGs in the Sinar Hy6 - 65, and producing RAWs, DNGs, or JPGs, or then a combination of both (RAW/JPG or DNG/JPG) in the Sinarback eSprit 65.

Best regards,
Thierry

Graham,

I thought that I needed to off-load the files from the back into EXPOSURE, and only after they were IMPORTED were they then available as DNG.  The e75 LV is a pretty recent SINAR product, yes?  I was hoping to eliminate the route through EXPOSURE.  Going from CF>unknown software>Photoshop.

Jerry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:32:45 am by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

PdF

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:20:41 am »

hi Jerry,

Let me explain you how it is with eXposure:

- the Sinar RAWs (.IA and .BR files) are taken into eXposure, from the back's internal memory or from CF card, while transferring they are automatically converted into DNGs: there are no longer RAW files (.IA and .BR files) available in eXposure. This is a pretty straight forwarded workflow.
The current Sinar eXposure 6.0 can handle all Sinarback eMotion files (eMotion 22, eMotion 54 LV, eMotion 75 and eMotion 75 LV) and the version 6.1 will handle as well the Sinarback eVolution 75 H files (released at Photokina in 1 week).

and following the workflow with the new Sinar Hy6 - 65 and the Sinarback eSprit 65.

- the new Sinar Hy6 - 65 camera (31 MPx) and the new Sinarback eSprit 65 have an on-board processing converting files into DNGs and/or JPGs in the Sinar Hy6 - 65, and producing RAWs, DNGs, or JPGs, or then a combination of both (RAW/JPG or DNG/JPG) in the Sinarback eSprit 65.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221363\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WHEN will the Sinar eXposure program be available for 43HR, 54HR and 75 ?

PdF
PdF

thsinar

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:29:24 am »

Dear Philippe,

as said above in my post, Exosure 6.1 will support the Sinarback eVolution 75. And release date is Photokina.

There is no ETA yet for the integration of the Sinarback 54 H (FW) and earlier Sinarbacks.

Best regards,
Thierry

WHEN will the Sinar eXposure program be available for 43HR, 54HR and 75 ?

PdF
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:40:26 am »

Dear Philippe,

as said above in my post, Exosure 6.1 will support the Sinarback eVolution 75. And release date is Photokina.

There is no ETA yet for the integration of the Sinarback 54 H (FW) and earlier Sinarbacks.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221374\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't understand the difference in DNG's and why some seem truly universal and others are limited.

The Leica DNGs work in almost any 3rd party processor without conversion, all the way down to Photoshop 7 ACR.

Actually, whether it says dng on the back matters little to me as long as a file will work in any processor without conversion.  Leaf has done this for quite a while and now so does phase.

The phase files, even shot with high compression go straight into Lightroom, RD and a few others.

The only issue I have with the Phase files if the .tif tag at the end.  It makes doing a quick search on past projects more complicated.  It was always easy to find a .mos file from the leaf but typing in .tif brings everything up.

JR

thsinar

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 11:44:57 am »

There must be a confusion, James, the DNG out of the software or camera is a "DNG", and as such compatible with ALL DNG compatible applications: LR, ACR, Raw Developer, Aperture, C1, etc ....
There is no limitations as such.

Best regards,
Thierry

I don't understand the difference in DNG's and why some seem truly universal and others are limited.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221377\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:50:17 am »

There must be a confusion, James, the DNG out of the software or camera is a "DNG", and as such compatible with ALL DNG compatible applications: LR, ACR, Raw Developer, Aperture, C1, etc ....
There is no limitations as such.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I understand that the newly announced Sinar has a dng file the camera produces, but when you convert the older Sinar files to DNG do they work in RD, Photoshop ACR 7,8,CS3, C1 3.78, C14 etc. etc.?

JR

thsinar

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 11:51:28 am »

Yes of course, they do.

Thierry

I understand that the newly announced Sinar has a dng file the camera produces, but when you convert the older Sinar files to DNG do they work in RD, Photoshop ACR 7,8,CS3, C1 3.78, C14 etc. etc.?
JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 11:59:02 am »

Another way of explaining.

Sinar backs just hold unitelligable RAW data from the capture - the Dng is not created in camera

- bad - another workflow stage - creating DNGs on your computer

- good - faster capture stable shooting because the camera is just concentrating on sucking up pixel data

-----------

Exposure turns this data to DNG as you import it (or shoot tethered)

Brum software allows you to download the proprietry data and then convert to DNG at your lesure

Once you have DNGs they are like any other DNGs

However, if you get a DNG in Exposure and Tweak it those tweaks are not carried into Capture One (my preferred option)

So basically I am just using Exposure as a glorified card reader - this is a shame because Exposure has Profiling with Gregtag Cards and correction for colour shift with tilts but IMO is not a friendly or stable as Capture One

Exposure also cant do web galleries which are a critical part of my workflow

SMM
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:00:04 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 12:11:46 pm »

Graham,

The URL that you included with your earlier message was not available, meaning, I guess, that perhaps it may be available elsewhere.  What would you recommend?

Jerry

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 12:29:27 pm »

Jerry, I just checked the URL and it works fine for me although the download links seem to be dead. You can ask the author directly, or perhaps someone has the zip archive somewhere.

I could send you copy of the app from my apps folder but I don't know if that will work.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 02:58:45 pm »

Graham,

Thanks for checking.

Jerry

minavag

Re: SINAR RAW file conversion to DNG
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 02:24:32 am »

I recently bought  a Hy6 with 75e,and I downloaded captureshop 6.Today I
realized that when I use a cardreader to take the photos out of the cf
card,if I have captureshop open, it ejects the card automatically.
At first there was a dialog for image download but the second time
captureshop ejected the card .So I cannot take the photos without connecting
the camera with a firewire cable.
I tried it with another mac also but still the same problem.Is there any
solution to this problem?

Pelekanakis Vaggelis
Pages: [1]   Go Up