Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact Flash cards and MFDB  (Read 1662 times)

buzzski

• Scottish wedding  photography on film and digital
Compact Flash cards and MFDB
« on: September 14, 2008, 06:04:31 am »

Hi there, I was just looking at prices of an 8gb CF card for my aptus back and wondered if it really was worth paying the good bit extra for a much faster card. At the moment I'm running a Calumet-own 2gb running at 305x and a 1 gb SanDisk Ultra 2. S the specs say that the calumet card writes at around 45mb per second and the sandisk at 9mb per second. So I just did a quick test - the result? The back was ready to shoot again in exactly the same time with both cards. So, here's the question... What are your experiences? Do you notice a real advantage with the capturing to quicker cards and also what is the largest (and safest) size of cards you are using? I respect that with slower cards, writing to the computer may take a bit longer but that doesn't pose a real problem to me. Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks, Craig. Oh by the way I'm using an Apus 12 on Blad V - it doesn't get much slower than that combination anyway!

Graham Mitchell

Compact Flash cards and MFDB
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 06:25:12 am »

I shudder to think how slow a really slow CF card and reader would be at transferring a full card to a computer. I don't use CF cards much so I have a very basic reader and it still seems to take 10 mins just to transfer 2GB. If you're going to use VF cards a lot, getting a fast card and reader would be a good investment.

As for the question re the backs, each back will have a different max transfer speed, so the point at which the speed of the card becomes superfluous will differ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up