Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, so how do I progress from here?  (Read 10586 times)

PSA DC-9-30

OK, so how do I progress from here?
« on: September 14, 2008, 12:24:40 am »

I consider myself an intermediate-level photographer, and have for nearly 20 years since I started serious photography with an Olympus OM-2s at the age of 16. I shot Kodachrome almost exclusively, and never set foot in a darkroom--until recently when I started shooting 3x4" orthochromatic B&W sheet film for some whole-cell modeling work I am doing using transmission electron microscopy. Inasmuch as I earn my living (as a postdoc in biology) by researching cellular structure using electron microscopes (SEM, TEM) and publishing images of this work, I guess I could rightly claim to be a professional photographer (micrographer, if you want to split hairs). In addition to being published in scientific journals, my work has appeared in textbooks, newspapers, television shows, etc., etc. My boss and I are both very interested in the artistic aspect of my work, and I will submit a portfolio to Lenswork in the coming months. I have used Photoshop CS2 ever since it came out, and Corel PhotoPaint 8 before that. I have a basic knowledge of image editing--levels (still not comfortable with curves), saturation, shadow/highlight, unsharp mask, etc--but not a whole lot more than that. I shoot raw with the E-510, and have been developing the images using the free Olympus software, although I plan on buying Lightroom 2.0 soon!

Anyway, I think you get an idea of where I'm at in terms of knowledge level.
I want advance my proficiency in terms of composition and technique, postprocessing and printing as well as learning how to develop and effectively communicate my personal vision. I've been buying a lot of photography books lately, and have just finished reading Szarkowski's book on Atget, which I've enjoyed a great deal. I try to see as much work in galleries, museums, books, and magazines as possible. My main interests are landscape, nature, architecture, and aviation photography, but I enjoy photography of a wider range of subjects than what I myself usually photograph.

I'm generally satisfied with the photos I take, and in general I'm happy with the E-510 (issues of noise and DR are annoying at times, but by no means ruining my enjoyment) but I'm a bit puzzled as to what I should to at this point to advance my knowledge. There are tons of books I want to read, and I've seen any number of suggested reading lists (I'm always interested in seeing more!). And of course there are articles online (including the ones on this site), courses, video tutorials (I bought Camera to Print last year), etc., etc. I'm wondering how I should proceed with all of these options so that I can make steady progress. Maybe it's all my years in academia, but I think I should have some sort of plan, including a reading list, that I should stick to, so I don't just end up wasting time and failing to make real progress.

Thanks for your suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:28:58 am by PSA DC-9-30 »

BruceHouston

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 01:24:34 am »

I consider myself an intermediate-level photographer, and have for nearly 20 years since I started serious photography with an Olympus OM-2s at the age of 16. I shot Kodachrome almost exclusively, and never set foot in a darkroom--until recently when I started shooting 3x4" orthochromatic B&W sheet film for some whole-cell modeling work I am doing using transmission electron microscopy. Inasmuch as I earn my living (as a postdoc in biology) by researching cellular structure using electron microscopes (SEM, TEM) and publishing images of this work, I guess I could rightly claim to be a professional photographer (micrographer, if you want to split hairs). In addition to being published in scientific journals, my work has appeared in textbooks, newspapers, television shows, etc., etc. My boss and I are both very interested in the artistic aspect of my work, and I will submit a portfolio to Lenswork in the coming months. I have used Photoshop CS2 ever since it came out, and Corel PhotoPaint 8 before that. I have a basic knowledge of image editing--levels (still not comfortable with curves), saturation, shadow/highlight, unsharp mask, etc--but not a whole lot more than that. I shoot raw with the E-510, and have been developing the images using the free Olympus software, although I plan on buying Lightroom 2.0 soon!

Anyway, I think you get an idea of where I'm at in terms of knowledge level.
I want advance my proficiency in terms of composition and technique, postprocessing and printing as well as learning how to develop and effectively communicate my personal vision. I've been buying a lot of photography books lately, and have just finished reading Szarkowski's book on Atget, which I've enjoyed a great deal. I try to see as much work in galleries, museums, books, and magazines as possible. My main interests are landscape, nature, architecture, and aviation photography, but I enjoy photography of a wider range of subjects than what I myself usually photograph.

I'm generally satisfied with the photos I take, and in general I'm happy with the E-510 (issues of noise and DR are annoying at times, but by no means ruining my enjoyment) but I'm a bit puzzled as to what I should to at this point to advance my knowledge. There are tons of books I want to read, and I've seen any number of suggested reading lists (I'm always interested in seeing more!). And of course there are articles online (including the ones on this site), courses, video tutorials (I bought Camera to Print last year), etc., etc. I'm wondering how I should proceed with all of these options so that I can make steady progress. Maybe it's all my years in academia, but I think I should have some sort of plan, including a reading list, that I should stick to, so I don't just end up wasting time and failing to make real progress.

Thanks for your suggestions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221327\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fascinating!  And I assumed from your avatar that you were a pilot.

PSA DC-9-30

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 02:59:09 am »

Fascinating!  And I assumed from your avatar that you were a pilot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221330\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm a first officer on the Cessna 172!

BruceHouston

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 06:01:45 am »

I'm a first officer on the Cessna 172!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Congrats.  I have 50+ hours in a Piper Cherokee 160.  I suspended lessons some years ago due to a serious problem with multitasking.  

dalethorn

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:06:13 am »

I assume you get the LLVJ's and the DVD versions of Lenswork.  Lots of informative and challenging content on those.

daws

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:54:50 am »

...I'm a bit puzzled as to what I should to at this point to advance my knowledge.

If you haven't read already, check out George Barr's "Taking Your Photography to the Next Level" 3-part essay.

http://luminous-landscape.com/essays/next-level.shtml

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 03:12:22 pm »

I highly recommend Galen Rowell's "The Inner Game of Outdoor Photography" for anyone who feels stuck in a rut, or who is seeking to improve their photographic skillset.  Galen goes beyond the basic rhetoric issued by most "how-to" books and delves into the psychological aspect of image creation.  John Shaw's "Photoshop Field Guide" is easily the best book on the market to quickly bring your Photoshop skills to the next level.

You might also consider challenging yourself in a new location.  Take a vacation and spend the time photographing an area completely different from your own.  It will force you to change the way you think about making images.

Finally, a workshop that combines field work with digital darkroom instruction might be helpful.  There are many available all over the U.S.

Hope this is helpful, and best of luck to you in your quest to further your photographic career!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:13:03 pm by bretedge »

Paul Sumi

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:13:21 pm »

Bret just beat me, but have you considered attending a photography workshop?  All the book reading, DVD viewing and museum visiting is no substitute for actually being in the field, camera on tripod.  The biggest benefit (IMO) is that you are totally immersed without outside distractions for the duration of the workshop.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:14:36 pm by PaulS »

dalethorn

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 03:57:07 pm »

Bret just beat me, but have you considered attending a photography workshop?  All the book reading, DVD viewing and museum visiting is no substitute for actually being in the field, camera on tripod.  The biggest benefit (IMO) is that you are totally immersed without outside distractions for the duration of the workshop.
Paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It might be a lot cheaper, and even better in several ways, to join a couple of local photo clubs, and attend not only the indoor meetings, but do the photo walks as well.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 05:25:35 pm »

It might be a lot cheaper, and even better in several ways, to join a couple of local photo clubs, and attend not only the indoor meetings, but do the photo walks as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is an excellent idea, and one I hadn't considered.  Many cities/areas have photography clubs with special interests (i.e. landscape, wildlife, etc.).  This could be an excellent way to learn!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:34:18 pm »

This is an excellent idea, and one I hadn't considered.  Many cities/areas have photography clubs with special interests (i.e. landscape, wildlife, etc.).  This could be an excellent way to learn!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ow!  My sides are killing me!  Can't get my breath!  *gasp*  Whoo....  That's better...

Shouldn't make me laugh like that.  I could have had a heart attack.

Perhaps your experience with camera clubs is different than mine.

Actually every club has some good people.  So even if the club is crap getting to know people that do things you're interested in (not like that) is a good thing.

PSA DC-9-30

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:46:45 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check out Galen Rowell's book. His work was a major reason for my initial interest in nature photography 20 years ago.

I cannot find John Shaw's book on Amazon, although there are other titles by him. Can you provide a link? I am looking for another good Photoshop book.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:47:06 am by PSA DC-9-30 »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 01:28:56 pm »

John's Photoshop book is an e-book.  Try here: http://www.johnshawphoto.com/

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 01:35:56 pm »

John's Photoshop book is an e-book.  Try here: http://www.johnshawphoto.com/

Mike.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a copy of that somewhere.  Went to one of the Van Os seminars ([a href=\"http://www.photosafaris.com/]photosafaris.com[/url]) hosted by Shaw.  (I think the Nature and Digital Photography one.)  Bought a photo (This one.) and his ebook.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:36:52 pm by DarkPenguin »

dalethorn

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 08:31:08 pm »

Ow!  My sides are killing me!...
Perhaps your experience with camera clubs is different than mine.......
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221623\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Nope, no surprises there.  The good news is they have coffee and treats for the indoor meets, and for the outdoors, they do the work picking and prepping the walk sites.  So just going to the new place every month results in a few keepers, plus the experience of trying something new.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 01:28:04 am »

In the end, it is all about vision and creativity.

So my personnal view is that the best way to improve is to get rid as much as possible of all the barriers introduced by equipment. Pick one suitable prime lens, set you camera to A mode in whatever aperture suits your purpose, switch on auto ISO if your camera has that capability, and go out there looking for interesting subjects and creative ways to address them.

Cheers,
Bernard

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 04:35:46 pm »

In the end, it is all about vision and creativity.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I vote for that - get out there and take pictures - and learn to critique you own work and listen to criticiism from others

Books - get nice photo books by famous photographers and be inspired

If I am any good it is because on numerous occasions I have had the pleasure of having my work torn to shreds by those more experienced than myself

You only need to improve technique once technical reasons restrict you from creating your vision

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

pcox

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://www.petercox.ie
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:29 pm »

I know exactly where you are, as I've been there myself in the past. The suggestions given so far have been good. It sounds like you're already doing many of the right things as far as absorbing yourself in others' work as a source of inspiration.

The trick is to dissect those photographs/paintings and ask yourself 'What about this image makes it so good?'. Look at your own images and ask the same questions. When looking at photographs, pay attention to the small details - the smidge too much foreground here, the intruding twig there - anything that distracts from or dilutes the composition.

Get out and about with other (competent) photographers. Camera clubs can be helpful if you find a good one, but most are not - you won't know until you try.

The advice to go photograph somewhere unfamiliar is also a good one - with familiarity we often can't see the wood for the trees and get creatively stifled. Shaking things up in a different place will give you fresh inspiration to tackle your home ground.

Far and away though, go do a workshop with someone whose work you admire.  You'll find that things just click into place and problems that have been bugging you for years will seem trivial (if the instructor is any good, anyway).

One of the things that really surprised (and delighted me) about my own experience teaching workshops was the 'eureka' looks I'd get from my students on a regular basis - both in terms of the artistic and technical elements of the process. There really is no substitute for an experienced guiding hand.

Cheers,
Peter
Peter Cox Photography
[url=http://photoc
Pages: [1]   Go Up