Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colormunki Issues...  (Read 4312 times)

thunter

Colormunki Issues...
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:24:53 pm »

I bought one recently in Oz as they were on special... down from $720 to $489.

Maybe it's cheaper because you have to spend so much time corresponding with X-rite to actually get the thing working.

So far I've had two tech support people throw in instructions and suggestions but still cannot get the CM to activate properly to calibrate screens... and who knows what else.

As they seem slow to reply, they are either struggling for solutions or they have millions of customers lined up for support. Either way not a good sign.

Has anyone else had similar issues and did you find a solution before I give up, return it and wait for version 2 which should have overcome the apparent bugs.

I'm running on PC with XP Pro Service Pack 3... a relatively new system with plenty of speed and ram.

On boot up, a message appears "microsoft has encountered a problem with Colormunki and will have to close etc."
Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I've downloaded the latest program (which you have to do to use the thing anyway) twice and it has not resolved anything.

Strangely it has accepted my registration details.

Any thoughts?

Terry

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:28:40 pm »

Hi,

I'm using CM on both Macintosh and Windows (Media Center Edition), and it works for me.

I think that you should not boot windows with the Munki connected, but just connect it up before use.

Best regards
Erik

I bought one recently in Oz as they were on special... down from $720 to $489.

Maybe it's cheaper because you have to spend so much time corresponding with X-rite to actually get the thing working.

So far I've had two tech support people throw in instructions and suggestions but still cannot get the CM to activate properly to calibrate screens... and who knows what else.

As they seem slow to reply, they are either struggling for solutions or they have millions of customers lined up for support. Either way not a good sign.

Has anyone else had similar issues and did you find a solution before I give up, return it and wait for version 2 which should have overcome the apparent bugs.

I'm running on PC with XP Pro Service Pack 3... a relatively new system with plenty of speed and ram.

On boot up, a message appears "microsoft has encountered a problem with Colormunki and will have to close etc."
Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I've downloaded the latest program (which you have to do to use the thing anyway) twice and it has not resolved anything.

Strangely it has accepted my registration details.

Any thoughts?

Terry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

Henry Goh

Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:30:57 pm »

Erik,

Where does one go to download the software?  I went to X-Rite's site but the link does not work

thunter

Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:52:44 pm »

Hi,

I'm using CM on both Macintosh and Windows (Media Center Edition), and it works for me.

I think that you should not boot windows with the Munki connected, but just connect it up before use.

Best regards
Erik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221163\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Erik,

Yes have tried this also but to no avail.
Thanks for your input.

Terry

thunter

Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:54:41 pm »

Erik,

Where does one go to download the software?  I went to X-Rite's site but the link does not work
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221164\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henry with the CM I bought, it came with a disk that automatically connects you to the download.

Perhaps this is the only current way to do it.

Terry

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 01:41:39 am »

Hi!

I think I may recall that installing on Windows was messy, mostly I use Mac. Could be that CM required a bunch of libraries, like .NET but I do not recall details.

Have you tried this:
http://colormunki.xrite.com/Downloads/Soft...rMunkiPhoto.zip

Henry with the CM I bought, it came with a disk that automatically connects you to the download.

Perhaps this is the only current way to do it.

Terry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221168\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:42:26 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Henry Goh

Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 01:45:58 am »

Thanks guys.  Mine should be here is a few days so I'll find out if Win XP and Colormunki will play nicely.

BruceHouston

Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 02:23:17 am »

Thanks guys.  Mine should be here is a few days so I'll find out if Win XP and Colormunki will play nicely.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Please post your results, Henry.  I am interested in the latest developmental progress with this device and software and am sure that others are too.

Bruce

thunter

Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 11:56:21 pm »

As the file is a large download file (over 250meg from memory) and I have relatively slow braodband connection, is it possible that my firewall could have corrupted the incoming file?... thus causing the failure of th CM program to recognize the CM device?

I suppose one would assume that X-Rite would have suggested this already.

Any wizz-bang comp. technos amongst us?

I've got work for this device immediately and am not sure whether to send it back and try another one or not.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:19:43 pm »

Hi!

You didn't try to install on another computer, perhaps and old one? That way you could possibly see if the problem was specific to your computer.

Best regards
Erik

As the file is a large download file (over 250meg from memory) and I have relatively slow braodband connection, is it possible that my firewall could have corrupted the incoming file?... thus causing the failure of th CM program to recognize the CM device?

I suppose one would assume that X-Rite would have suggested this already.

Any wizz-bang comp. technos amongst us?

I've got work for this device immediately and am not sure whether to send it back and try another one or not.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

thunter

Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:18 pm »

Hi!

You didn't try to install on another computer, perhaps and old one? That way you could possibly see if the problem was specific to your computer.

Best regards
Erik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Erik,

No I haven't got an old system available.... but guess what?

Perseverance and tenacity pay off (mostly).

The problem seems solved.

I ran the X-rite suggested solutions through a third time and the issues seem to have resolved themselves.
The CM is finally working - the screens are calibrated and I need to get stuck into building some colour palettes for the images customers are waiting for.

I'll let everyone know how this goes over the next couple of weeks as I've now no excuse for not producing exact copies of artist's images onto papers that I can show independent testing to have a life expectancy even beyond the originals in some cases.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Terry

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 11:53:27 pm »

Hi!

I feel some relief that you got Colormunki working, and I hope it will do you good service!

Erik

Hello Erik,

No I haven't got an old system available.... but guess what?

Perseverance and tenacity pay off (mostly).

The problem seems solved.

I ran the X-rite suggested solutions through a third time and the issues seem to have resolved themselves.
The CM is finally working - the screens are calibrated and I need to get stuck into building some colour palettes for the images customers are waiting for.

I'll let everyone know how this goes over the next couple of weeks as I've now no excuse for not producing exact copies of artist's images onto papers that I can show independent testing to have a life expectancy even beyond the originals in some cases.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Terry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 03:22:03 am »

Hi!

I feel some relief that you got Colormunki working, and I hope it will do you good service!

Erik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just received a CM.

Inserted the CD, which asked me if I was to allow it to connect to the web to download the software (180MB) . Went fine. Transfered it to the portable and that too went fine.

I'll try it on Windows XP later.

I'll also put a review up on my site after I get used to the new device.

Henry Goh

Colormunki Issues...
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 10:32:33 am »

As promised, I have posted a brief note about my first use experience here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=27857&hl=
Pages: [1]   Go Up