Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF 5100 and Mac OSX  (Read 2081 times)

Ed Dubois

iPF 5100 and Mac OSX
« on: September 12, 2008, 06:33:11 pm »

Now that the iPF5100 has been out for almost a year and Apple's Leopard OS has been out a while too I'm wondering how the 2 of them get along.

I have a 5000 that simply will not communicate with my new MacBook Pro and the CS3 plug in. It'll print from Canon's DPP but the quality isn't great. This despite hours of effort on my part plus hours on the phone with Apple, with Canon and with ColorHQ. So I'm giving up and the 5000 is going to my wife's PC where it has worked in the past. The iPF5100 seems to be my replacement of choice but I'm sure you can imagine this is if and ONLY IF it works with OSX.

I'd also be interested to hear about any other quirks or problems found with the 5100. The Wiki John Hollenberg put together http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/ doesn't seem to have a lot of commentary about the 5100. I'm hoping this is because it works well and Canon have fixed the majority of the bugs. (Am I sounding naive?) Have you found it to be as quirky as the 5000?

Thanks

Ed

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
iPF 5100 and Mac OSX
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:44:38 pm »

Now that the iPF5100 has been out for almost a year and Apple's Leopard OS has been out a while too I'm wondering how the 2 of them get along.

I have a 5000 that simply will not communicate with my new MacBook Pro and the CS3 plug in. It'll print from Canon's DPP but the quality isn't great. This despite hours of effort on my part plus hours on the phone with Apple, with Canon and with ColorHQ. So I'm giving up and the 5000 is going to my wife's PC where it has worked in the past. The iPF5100 seems to be my replacement of choice but I'm sure you can imagine this is if and ONLY IF it works with OSX.

I'd also be interested to hear about any other quirks or problems found with the 5100. The Wiki John Hollenberg put together http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/ doesn't seem to have a lot of commentary about the 5100. I'm hoping this is because it works well and Canon have fixed the majority of the bugs. (Am I sounding naive?) Have you found it to be as quirky as the 5000?

Thanks

Ed

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221117\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No issues I am aware of. I have been using my 5100 with my macbook pro for the last 4 months with the Cs3 plugin.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Mike_Dougan

• http://www.thefieryscotsman.com
iPF 5100 and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:20:18 pm »

No problems here with my iPF5100 hooked up to my iMac.

Mike

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
iPF 5100 and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:36:32 pm »

Ed, I had a lot of problems when the printer was new, probably a combination of mine being one of the first sold in Australia and the fact that I'm useless with computers in general.  
The first firmwear had problems with loading cut paper and then there was an issue with the 16 bit drivers in CS3 and Macs.

Canon came around and updated the drivers and ever since printing couldn't be easier.
(I use an Imac and Macbook Pro's and the canon drivers and export through CS3 in 16 bit)

I think it's a great printer.

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
iPF 5100 and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:12:43 pm »

No worries here with the iPF5100 and MacPro on 10.5.4. Excellent printer!

Ed Dubois

iPF 5100 and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 11:06:55 am »

Great to hear from all of you - thanks so much.  

After the chronic problems with the 5000 I've been a little gun shy - your answers have done much to allay my fears.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up