Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica M8.2 announced  (Read 18454 times)

EPd

Leica M8.2 announced
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:46:48 pm »

Gone
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:01:27 am by EPd »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 05:03:23 pm »

Today the German magazine Color-Foto published an article in their October issue about the updated M8, together with details about four new lenses: Noctilux f/0,95 50mm (aspherical), Elmar 3,8/24 (aspherical), Summilux 1,4/21 (aspherical) and a Summilux 1,4/24 (aspherical). Details about the publication here (in German):

http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Leica-M82...-neue-Objektive
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221093\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sry no comment, but what is leica thinking..... 5000 EURs for the "new" M8, 8000 for a lens and then again twice 5000 for a lens. Well I think that is the best way to go      bankruptcy.... way to go leica.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Er1kksen

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:56:34 am »

So, being unable to read german or polish... what's new? The german article suggested a new top shutter speed of 1/8000, and the polish one repeated 1/4000 several times, but that's all I could really get out of it. Is there a change in sensor size? In controls?

tetsuo77

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 04:36:32 pm »

Sensor is still the same. There is a new "snapshot-mode" with automatic shutter speed, auto-iso and auto-white balance. According to early Leica comments fastest time is 1/4000s and flash sync is 1/180s, while Color-Foto reports 1/8000s and 1/250s. The shutter is new. The M8.2 has a redesigned power switch and updated viewfinder. The black variant has a more resistant coating. The LCD has a scratch resistant sapphire cover glass. Price for the M8.2 is going to be €5000.-, while the M8 will be sold for €4000.-. The M8.2 comes in addition to the M8.

Prices of the new lenses: Noctilux f/0,95 50mm €8000.-, Elmar 3,8/24 €1800.-, Summilux 1,4/21 €5000.- and a Summilux 1,4/24 €5000.-.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221247\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those are quite steep prices for such an unreliable system, aren´t they? Watch out, unreliable does not mean low quality. Unreliable as with no consistant results and not that good of a permformance [for a 12.000 euro system]. Specially, compared to, let me see...

Olympus E-420

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:16:35 pm »

WOW talk about suckers paying for a name....

canlogic

• http://
Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:58:32 am »

I read on another site that the prices were actually US$
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

The current fast shutter speed is 1/8000. The new shutter is 1/4000. The new shutter addresses what many thought to be a too loud shutter sound and a rarer problem of shutter disintegration. I have actually used the 1/8000 shutter speed so I don't know that the upgrade is a true improvement. Note: the M8.2 improvements are available from Leica as an upgrade for existing M8's.
Addressing the viewfinder - hopefully they are putting in a larger magnification. I've been using a 1.25 viewfinder magnifier with mine which seems almost a universal requirement.
Still a great camera but I might go for a shutter upgrade just to increase the warranty another year (something Leica has added as a sop).
The lens prices seem to be in the stratosphere. Noct's have always been pricey but this is just crazy.

My dos centavos.

DarkPenguin

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 02:48:20 pm »

I'm trying to figure out when one would use f0.95.  I presume when you want the front of the model's pores sharp but not the back.

At that price (8000 euros?) I'm sure MR will have two of them and wear them as pinky rings.

barryfitzgerald

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:27:40 pm »

I wouldn't mind a Voigtlander Bessa R4a in digtal, wouldn't mind one in film either!
You would save a few $$/££ for sure ;-)

lovell

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:47:23 pm »

I don't get Leica M8, although I admire some of their lenses.  Leica should just stick to film bodies and lenses, things they make very good...leave the digital sensor thingies to the big dogs that know how to do it well.

Why do people buy BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Leica M8?  

It's their way of telling everyone else "I'm better then you".  ;-)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:48:07 pm by lovell »
After composition, everything else is secondary--Alfred Steiglitz, NYC, 1927.

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

pprachun

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 09:44:52 pm »

It's their way of telling everyone else "I'm better then you".  ;-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe not everyone is satisfied with mediocrity?  -- Just a thought.
Paul Prachun

BruceHouston

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 10:36:42 pm »

I don't get Leica M8, although I admire some of their lenses.  Leica should just stick to film bodies and lenses, things they make very good...leave the digital sensor thingies to the big dogs that know how to do it well.

It's their way of telling everyone else "I'm better then you".  ;-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is certainly not the case with this Mercedes owner.  Many who drive one for a week or two get hooked for life because they are such a joy to drive.  I recently passed down my 13-year old C280 with 240k miles to my teenage daughter and bought a 2000 E320 with 70k miles for $15k.  Talk about getting your cake and eating it too...  I must admit that maintenance is a bit pricey, though.

Anyway, nothing to do with status, for me anyway.  Not sure if the analogy holds for an M8.

telyt

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 11:01:25 pm »

I don't get Leica M8, although I admire some of their lenses.  Leica should just stick to film bodies and lenses, things they make very good...leave the digital sensor thingies to the big dogs that know how to do it well.
Big dogs like Kodak and Jenoptik?  The makers of the M8's sensor and other thingies?

stever

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 11:07:08 pm »

see sept 19 Wall Street Journal re Leica's management and financial problems.

lovell

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 01:45:25 am »

Big dogs like Kodak and Jenoptik?  The makers of the M8's sensor and other thingies?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221884\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yea, Kodak left the DSLR market a few years ago...they're little dogs...

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

lovell

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 01:48:49 am »

Maybe not everyone is satisfied with mediocrity?  -- Just a thought.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221878\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well according to ConsumerReports.com the Mercedes brand has one of the most "mediocre" ratings for reliability, and durability.

The Toyota Camry is profoundly higher in reliability and loses much less in depreciation then any of the Mercedes.

Like I said, it's peoples way of saying "I'm better then you"....Me?  I'd rather perform true investments, like in real-estate rentals..and in fact I put so much $$ in rentals that all I could afford was a 2007 $12,800 Toyota Yaris...another car that rates higher in reliability then ANY Mercedes, to be sure.  Not bad for a middle-aged 48 year old guy yea?  I bought the rentals when the market crashed, and the pmts are paid entirely by the tenents....my neighbor?  Well, his lease pmt on his 700 series BMW (which he can't write off) with gas and insurance is over $1,000/month, and that 1 year old car is worth $15,000+ less today then when he bought it new...but hey, he's "better then me", yea?  I will say I love the looks of his car though...beautiful, and it drives like a freakin dream too!  In fact I would say that it drives around $7,000 better then a $24,000 Camry, yet it costs a heck of a lot more.....one day if I win the lottery and become truly rich (truly), then I too will have a 700 series brand new BMW sedan too...lol

Seriously, my point is that many people are so shallow, materialistic, and class-aware that they would rather buy a profoundly inferior super high priced vehicle over one that is profoundly more reliable and profoundly cheaper too.  I mean, what will the neighbors think, yea?  These idiots buy Range Rovers, Jaguars, and other very high priced inferior cars...amazing, to be sure.  I read a People Magazine study years ago that showed that more then 80% of the buyers of foreign made luxury high priced cars actually cannot afford them...this disease is found more in the USA then Europe, however...

Sorry for being way off topic....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:58:36 am by lovell »

pprachun

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 06:27:11 am »

$12,800 Toyota Yaris... $1,000/month, and that 1 year old car is worth $15,000+ less today then when he bought it new....   around $7,000 better then a $24,000 Camry, ...... become truly rich (truly), then I too will have a 700 series brand new BMW sedan too...lol
"Many people are so shallow, materialistic, and class-aware .....   These idiots buy Range Rovers, Jaguars, and other very high priced inferior cars...amazing, to be sure.  .... People Magazine study.
god I wish this was a psychology forum  
Paul Prachun

Rob C

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 08:45:34 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But it is, my man, it is!

Rob C

lovell

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 05:18:48 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll summarize.

Some people believe a brand, a product, it's price, and/or being seen with same will fill the void that mommy and daddy could never instill.

It's about a sick society.  Consumerism.  Materialism.  Devoid of delayed gratification.  Defining one's self by what he wears, drives, or where one is seen.

telyt

Leica M8.2 announced
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 09:49:38 pm »

Yea, Kodak left the DSLR market a few years ago...they're little dogs...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221931\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kodak sensors are used in some very high-end medium-format backs.  Big dog.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up