Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS3 Manual questions  (Read 3071 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1DS3 Manual questions
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:24:44 am »

Page 170 AF Expansion:

2. Enable surrounding assist points.

When this is enabled, is the focus an average of the selected point plus the surrounding areas?

Page 173 Shutter button/ AF-ON

3. AE lock/Metering + AF start

What is the difference between this setting and simply holding down teh shutter button half way?

Can someone explain the function of this button to me? I understand it's use when set to #2, but do not understand its usefulness for the other settings according to the manual.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
1DS3 Manual questions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:44:05 am »

1. No, it doesn't "average" the focus. When you expand the focus points, the camera uses the surrounding points only if the selected point can't lock focus.

2. Custom function for shutter and thumb buttons: these (many) choices let you customize how you want the shutter, AE lock, and autofocus to work. The most basic choice is this: do you want the shutter button to autofocus, or do you want the thumb button to autofocus (that is, pressing the shutter button simply fires the camera, with no AF.) Once you've made that decision, there are several other options you can choose, but that's where you start. (NOTE: in the choice you wrote above, the shutter button will NOT autofocus. So holding the shutter button halfway down does nothing except lock your autoexposure settings.)

Using the thumb button for AF is very useful. It means that I can focus on a static subject, then shoot photos, recompose, and keep shooting without messing up the focus. If the subject moves, just mash down the thumb button and keep shooting. (I usually leave AF set to Continuous.) I could go on and on about how great the thumb-button-AF is, but you'd probably get bored.

Other options: you get to choose whether the shutter button or the thumb button handles AE lock. I usually forgo AE lock in favor of Manual exposure mode or using the thumbwheel for exposure compensation. Also - and new on the Mark III - you can choose which thumb button does what. The Star button was the traditional choice, but Canon added the AF ON button, giving you several settings to mess up, er, choose. (Given that the Mark I and Mark II were exactly the same, and the Mark III changed everything, I think Canon dropped the ball on this one, but that's just me.)

Finally, you can use the joystick to toggle between a fixed AF point and the 45-points. Just pressing it once will toggle between them. (Not sure what the CF is for this, or even if you need one. Might be the default behavior.)

Does this help?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:46:47 am by k bennett »
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

peegeenyc

1DS3 Manual questions
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 09:18:22 am »

In my memory the focus expansion in a 1Ds2 used to light up the extra assist points in the viewfinder if the camera needed to use them (and it was an enabled option) - but now in the 1Ds3, I see no 'assist' points kicking in - no other focus points ever illuminate besides the one I initially selected - is this right, or my memory is playing tricks?

francois

1DS3 Manual questions
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 09:29:40 am »

In my memory the focus expansion in a 1Ds2 used to light up the extra assist points in the viewfinder if the camera needed to use them (and it was an enabled option) - but now in the 1Ds3, I see no 'assist' points kicking in - no other focus points ever illuminate besides the one I initially selected - is this right, or my memory is playing tricks?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
On the MK 2, you had, as you metionned above, the option to expand the focus point to adjacent focus points (all this with various options). On the MK 3, there's no expansion but "assist" points. These "assist" points cannot be selected and consequently cannot be illuminated/selected.

So, you're correct.
Francois

peegeenyc

1DS3 Manual questions
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:36:27 am »

On the MK 2, you had, as you metionned above, the option to expand the focus point to adjacent focus points (all this with various options). On the MK 3, there's no expansion but "assist" points. These "assist" points cannot be selected and consequently cannot be illuminated/selected.

So, you're correct.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221016\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks had begun to wonder if I had a faulty camera.

the difference between 'expanded focus points' (mk2) and 'focus assist' points (mk3) is lost on me, and I'm sure a few others, but Canon is as Canon does.

francois

1DS3 Manual questions
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:58:33 am »

thanks had begun to wonder if I had a faulty camera.

the difference between 'expanded focus points' (mk2) and 'focus assist' points (mk3) is lost on me, and I'm sure a few others, but Canon is as Canon does.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The difference is subtle... Expansion is done with "real" focusing points. On the other hand, assist point are non user selectable focus point. Seems to me that the "assist" way is à la mode, at least for Canon.
Francois

dwdallam

1DS3 Manual questions
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 12:35:53 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, I noticed it using them when I had it enabled. But the way it was working, or seemed to work, was that it was using the surrounding points to help the selected point focus. Some times I would see the surrounding points light up right before the selected point lit up. So I figured it was averaging, and that would fit with my conclusion as to why sometimes my DoF on people eyes would be seemingly NOT where I put the AF point.

dwdallam

1DS3 Manual questions
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 12:36:48 am »

So, you're correct.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221016\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

But they do light up very dimly when needed, or at least I've noticed that happening.

dwdallam

1DS3 Manual questions
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:38:06 am »

And thanks for these replies too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up