Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does C1 4 have sessions like 3.7.9 ?  (Read 10503 times)

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Does C1 4 have sessions like 3.7.9 ?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »

Capture One 3 Pro also has a program called Color Editor which will let you modify an existing input ICC profile. For example you can modify the "Portrait" profile towards your preferred skin tone. Or you could take one of the existing B&W profiles and modify the underlying color response (e.g. to add more sensitivity to greens). This feature will be improved and included in Capture One 4 Pro.

Doug Peterson
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Other than the abilty to build sessions before hand and stability, the best festure of C-1 vs. 3 is the color editor.

It's not an oh my god, change the world feature but for many uses it's a lifesaver , i.e. if your shooting cosmetic or hair and want a cooler tone on the subject, it allows you to go into the background (if that background is smooth) and adjust the back to neutral while leaving the subject alone.  It also allows you to build let's say a blond'es hair back to blonde, even though the overall look of the image is cool. Or you can  move the background to a cooler look and effect the subject as if it was on a seperate mask.

I've used it on set countless times and it has gone a long way to giving an AD what they want to see without those annoying words "well fix it in post".

The downside to v 3 is the previews just are way too harsh.  No matter how much sharpening you take off they just freak everyone out and you have to say "don't worry it won't look like this in post".

Now, I haven't used V4 pro or whatever the next one is called, but have used v4 lite and used it for a lot of processing.

It renders better skintones, maybe more detail (I'm not that concerned with hyper detail), the processing is wicked fast and the previews are much nicer.

The downside of v4 lite is the program is amazingly disjointed.  having to switch tabs to make base corrections is hugely time consuming and the program does not have single channel corrections.

If v4 pro is as disjointed as v4 lite, then there needs to be a very quick rethink of the interface.

Actually the best single channel corrections are in RD (and the best processing I might add) where you can go into rgb and change the values of each, consequently building your own film.  RD also renders better than any program I've found, though for batch processing it's a chore.

Given my personal choice, I'd love to have the useability and interface of lightroom with the rendering qualities and single channel corrections of Raw Developer.  Actually I'd do everything in lightroom except it just doesn't work skin tones as nice as V4 or RD.

One lightroom feature that every program should adopt is the ability to rework jpegs.  That is a huge time saver on the first step of producing web galleries from the Canons and makes preview and rendering times 10x faster than loading thousands of raws.

JR

Snook

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 12:12:13 pm »

Capture One 3 Pro also has a program called Color Editor which will let you modify an existing input ICC profile. For example you can modify the "Portrait" profile towards your preferred skin tone. Or you could take one of the existing B&W profiles and modify the underlying color response (e.g. to add more sensitivity to greens). This feature will be improved and included in Capture One 4 Pro.

Doug Peterson
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey Doug I really appreciate you taking the time to explain to me.. 2 thumbs up..
Thank you also James for the lengthy post and images..
I really appreciate it
My problem is that I do not want to go through several programs to work if possible. I need a great converter then I work in photoshop..
I am battling between C-1 and Lightroom right now. I do not like the Conversions from Lightroom nor Photoshop and have always seen something different or better about Capture One...

Thank you
That does stink that you cannot see if they are processing or done..? The old icon in the dock would show that like photoshop does also..? ;+}

Will they fix that for Pro?

Are you guys expecting pro to come out for photokina??
Would be the perfect arena otherwise I think a lot will give up on it..
Thank you again
Snook
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 12:16:51 pm by Snook »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 02:36:19 pm »

The downside of v4 lite is the program is amazingly disjointed.  having to switch tabs to make base corrections is hugely time consuming and the program does not have single channel corrections.

If v4 pro is as disjointed as v4 lite, then there needs to be a very quick rethink of the interface.
JR
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That does stink that you cannot see if they are processing or done..? The old icon in the dock would show that like photoshop does also..? ;+}

Will they fix that for Pro?

Are you guys expecting pro to come out for photokina??
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222686\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure it's useful to speculate since we'll know for sure in a few days.

My statistics teacher in high school gave a lesson in probability. He would put 5 black marbles and 5 white marbles in a bag, then draw one in a closed hand. "What are the odds that the marble in my hand is white?". The point was that he already in his hands, so the event was already determined, even if the outcome wasn't known. That's sort of how I feel right now. Then again I'm really tired, so maybe I'm just rambling.

Doug Peterson
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer[/url]
Personal Portfolio

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 03:38:55 pm »

Not sure it's useful to speculate since we'll know for sure in a few days.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222717\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Regardless, there is a reason to post feedback, and though I can only speak for myself, a more cohesive interface and better color response will go a long way to speeding workflow.

JR
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:21:58 pm by James R Russell »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up