Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP LP2475W Review  (Read 46379 times)

DarkPenguin

HP LP2475W Review
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:29:02 am »

Fairly low priced ($650) 24" H-IPS screen.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

padsterman

HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 09:52:42 am »

Fairly low priced ($650) 24" H-IPS screen.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220594\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been looking for a new monitor.  I was considering an NEC 2690 but my budget has had to be lowered!  So this HP sounds interesting.  Has anyone used one yet?  If it does a good job on calibration and is not too bad for image editing then I will get one

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:30:21 pm »

I have been looking for a new monitor.  I was considering an NEC 2690 but my budget has had to be lowered!  So this HP sounds interesting.  Has anyone used one yet?  If it does a good job on calibration and is not too bad for image editing then I will get one
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224268\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I ordered one a week ago but it's not expected to arrive for a few days yet. I'll post something if I'm not too old to use it by the time it gets here. David

David Sutton

HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 06:30:35 am »

Well it's arrived and looks like a fine monitor but it may take a while yet to get things up and running.
Unpacking and assembly was straight forward, but then my computer (XP Pro) wouldn't boot with the usb cable to the monitor attached. Fixed this by going into the bios and changing the boot sequence to eliminate the floppy disk option. (  )
Now I find I should have installed two single head video cards instead of one dual head to get Windows to load two .icm profiles, one for each monitor. Well, we live and learn. I've installed the Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet  but I think a hardware fix may be better. I'll look into this tomorrow.
I'm using Spyder 2 to calibrate and profile, and the first run has a white luminance of 120 cd/m2, but this is too high for my working environment, and I'll run a second pass on it tomorrow when I'm fresher. So no idea yet on on how colours are really going to look. David

padsterman

HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 05:58:20 pm »

Well it's arrived and looks like a fine monitor but it may take a while yet to get things up and running.
Unpacking and assembly was straight forward, but then my computer (XP Pro) wouldn't boot with the usb cable to the monitor attached. Fixed this by going into the bios and changing the boot sequence to eliminate the floppy disk option. (  )
Now I find I should have installed two single head video cards instead of one dual head to get Windows to load two .icm profiles, one for each monitor. Well, we live and learn. I've installed the Microsoft Color Control Panel Applet  but I think a hardware fix may be better. I'll look into this tomorrow.
I'm using Spyder 2 to calibrate and profile, and the first run has a white luminance of 120 cd/m2, but this is too high for my working environment, and I'll run a second pass on it tomorrow when I'm fresher. So no idea yet on on how colours are really going to look. David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, I look forward to your views on its color performance.

David Sutton

HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:51:48 pm »

Thanks, I look forward to your views on its color performance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The calibration and profiling seemed to go ok. I used "measured' for the luminance mode and "contrast" and "backlighting" for the controls in the Spyder 2 software. The RGB values in the custom colour display in the HP menu ended up being set to 255,223, and 234 respectively and contrast was 75 (my own idea). At present I've set the black luminance to .2 and the white to 110 cd/m2.
I've little experience calibrating and evaluating monitors, and I'm comparing the HP to a Dell 2007fp which in my case is a s-pva screen.
I brought in a second pair of eyes to confirm my own impressions.
Using the test images from the Spyder2Pro and SpyderPrint.
Firstly, the graduated colour charts. Here is the description from the help guide:
This image includes synthetic step gradients of Magenta, Blue, Cyan, Red, Yellow, Green, and Black. The high saturation patches in many of these gradients will be outside the gamut of most monitors, as well as most printer/ink/paper combinations. They are useful to check your system against intentionally out of gamut colors.
I could see no difference in the range of reproduced colours between the two monitors. However, all the colours on the HP monitor appear more saturated, without losing detail. (My friend commented "the peppers on the HP make you want to eat them").
The exception is the black and white graduated test strip. The HP definitely shows an much better separation between black and "almost black" here on a ten step chart.
I've come to realise that the Dell is a very good monitor. I got the HP because I want a two monitor set-up. Does the HP blow the Dell out of the water? No. But it is easier to use and is a definite improvement.
One unexpected development: the HP, having a larger resolution, is much sharper. Photographs I thought were sharp when viewing on the Dell now show problems.
I think you can rely on the review at TFTCentral. Hope this is some use, cheers, David

rdonson

HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:38:57 am »

Very helpful indeed, David.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Regards,
Ron

attila.ataner

• http://www.attila-ataner.com
HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 05:11:57 pm »

Re: HP LP2475W still the best monitor for photoediting?
by attila-ataner on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:33 pm

I recently purchased the HP LP2475W, based on some general research, the review posted above and the review at PRAD: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2 ... 2475w.html

Generally, I'm quite pleased with its color accuracy and overall performance. I've calibrated it with BasICColor and the Spyder 2. It sits right beside my Eizo CE240W, such that I am able to compare. After calibrating both to identical settings, the only discernible difference is that the LP2475W is slightly warmer in tone, so the match is not 100% perfect. If anyone could suggest a solution to this, please let me know.

Black-point is indeed great: I'm able to achieve 0.36 cd/m2 (lower than my Eizo)

Apart from that, the only other issue is that the LP2475W appears not to be DDC enabled, so in contrast to the CE240W I have to do a pre-calibration. I intend to call HP and ask about this, but again, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

I attach my most recent validation result.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

--------------------

www.attila-ataner.com

GerardK

• http://www.kingma.nu
HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:25:02 am »

The good news is, the HP LP2475w gamut easily covers Adobe(1998), see attached Gamutvision screenshots. The wire frame gamut is the monitor profile generated with Eye-One Display 2. See how the wire frame easily encompasses AdobeRGB(1998) and is really much bigger that sRGB.

[attachment=9441:HP_LP247...dobe1998.JPG]
[attachment=9442:HP_LP2475W_sRGB.JPG]

The bad news, all non-color savvy apps such as Internet Explorer will display images way too saturated (that's how it is with wide gamut screens, you can't blame HP).

The only web browser that will display your (and anybody else's) website properly is Firefox 3 with color management enabled.

In the address bar type about:config then click "I'll be careful, I promise!" then place this in the filter gfx.color_management.enabled then double click it to set it to enabled. Restart Firefox.

The other bad news, the screen isn't quite uniform. The right side of the screen is slightly but visibly warmer (redder) than the left side. I calibrate a 'sweet spot' just left of the centre and check my images there. Apparently this is not uncommon for this type of screen.

Also, by default the RGB channels are set to 255, 255, 255 which is way too high. You can adjust the Brightness down to 20 or so but that gave me an uneven calibration with too much red in the highlights. I first set the RGB values in the on-screen display to more moderate values, say 180, 180, 180, and a higher Brightness, 70-80 or so, and then start calibration. This gave me a much smoother result (easily check by making a smooth 16-bit gradient in Photoshop from black to white across the entire screen, then check for color banding).

Yet different bad news, the supplied DVI cable gave me green sparklies and jitter. However, the supplied HDMI-cable gives a stable and clean signal. Maybe it's not the cable but the DVI-inputs. DVI-input 1 was worse than DVI-input 2. I called HP and they authorized a DOA (dead on arrival) exchange without fuss.

All in all, for the price, I'd still recommend the screen. The only real disappointment is the lack of color uniformity across the screen.

Hope this helps,

Gerard Kingma
www.kingma.nu

attila.ataner

• http://www.attila-ataner.com
HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:57 am »

Hi again GerardK - as I mention in my other thread (the one I started on this monitor), I don't notice the non-uniformity on my unit. Maybe I lucked out, or maybe I'm not looking carefully enough.

Is there perhaps a site or software/freeware that I can use to check this? I've used CheckMON (a piece of freeware) and the tests on http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and on http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibra...nitor_black.htm

After calibration, I find the HP performs better! than my Eizon on the Drycreekphoto tests.

But I don't know if any of the tests I've tried so far would reveal a variation in tonality/warmth. I certainly don't see it browsing or when using Lightroom (in dual monitor mode).

Hope that helps - maybe your particular copy is slightly off and you might have grounds to return/exchange it.

Cheers!

GerardK

• http://www.kingma.nu
HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 02:36:21 am »

Hi Attila,

I see the non-uniformity clearly on an all white screen, the first test with Checkemon. An easy way to check is to calibrate your monitor with the puck on the left side of the screen and then calibrate again with your puck on the right side of the screen and see if there are any differences. Could you check please? If you're absolutely sure your unit is uniform across the screen, I may have a bad copy and should have it replaced.

Gerard Kingma
www.kingma.nu

nappy_d

Re: HP LP2475W Review
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 05:29:54 pm »

Hi David, I would love some insight on this post of mine from you.  If you have a moment, jump ove to this post http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=50254.0

T.I.A
Pages: [1]   Go Up