Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 "Service Parts" Pizza Wheel fix and ????  (Read 6810 times)

Edhopkins

HP Z3100 "Service Parts" Pizza Wheel fix and ????
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:21:44 pm »

We got our z3100ps APS back in November of 2007. It works great.

We want to get all the reengineered parts installed in the next month--before our service contract runs out.

I know that there is a new Star Wheels rail available as a "service part."  

(the z3100 Wiki has this:  http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Z3100+problems)

I thought there were TWO service parts/two reengineered parts. I have searched the forums and cannot find the second.  (As far as I can tell the "star wheel problem," "the pinch wheel problem," and the "pizza wheel problem" are the same problem.)

Does anyone know of another service part available?  (I am only asking about hardware, not drivers or firmware. I think I understand those.)

thanks

Ed Hopkins
Baltimore

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:43:08 pm »

I do not know the part numbers, but I had the pinch rollers (new tan ones) changed out as well as the star-wheel or pizza-wheel assembly. Two different upgrades.
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

macote

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:21:09 pm »

We got our z3100ps APS back in November of 2007. It works great.

We want to get all the reengineered parts installed in the next month--before our service contract runs out.

I know that there is a new Star Wheels rail available as a "service part." 

(the z3100 Wiki has this:  http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Z3100+problems)

I thought there were TWO service parts/two reengineered parts. I have searched the forums and cannot find the second.  (As far as I can tell the "star wheel problem," "the pinch wheel problem," and the "pizza wheel problem" are the same problem.)

Does anyone know of another service part available?  (I am only asking about hardware, not drivers or firmware. I think I understand those.)
thanks

Ed Hopkins
Baltimore

The new tan pinch rollers have been identified as P/N Q5669-67060.
The name on the pinch roller kit is: "Rubber Pinch Wheel Kit Sv"
P/N Q5669-67061 for starweel With Actuator 24 Sv. For z3100 24 inch
Marc-Andre
Montreal
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DotCom Editor

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:38:10 am »

Is this equivalent to an automobile recall?

Is HP replacing the star wheels and pinch rollers in all Z3100 units regardless of warranty status?

My new 44" unit was serviced last week. But my 24" unit is out of warranty and there is no Care Pack currently in force on it. If your car gets a recall notice, it gets serviced regardless of warranty status, even years down the line.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:53:36 am »

No, nothing of the sort.  If you have a problem, under warranty, they could update the appropriate part(s) if warranted by the circumstances.  There is no recall whatsoever.

If you don't see a problem obviously you don't need any action.

Edhopkins

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 01:31:29 pm »

No, nothing of the sort.  If you have a problem, under warranty, they could update the appropriate part(s) if warranted by the circumstances.  There is no recall whatsoever.

If you don't see a problem obviously you don't need any action.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=223214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well....

Not quite. If your don't have a problem YET and you are about to go out of warranty I would say that you do need action.  It sounds like the problem depends, in part, on the kind of paper you are using. And you could start using it after the warranty period is over.

As far as I can tell there is no question that there are defective parts in the Z3100 which should be replaced.  For free.

But I realize HP will probably not do this.  

ed

connkenn

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:58:08 am »

Quote from: Edhopkins
Well....

Not quite. If your don't have a problem YET and you are about to go out of warranty I would say that you do need action.  It sounds like the problem depends, in part, on the kind of paper you are using. And you could start using it after the warranty period is over.

As far as I can tell there is no question that there are defective parts in the Z3100 which should be replaced.  For free.

But I realize HP will probably not do this.  

ed

I urge you to get an extended warranty. I'm a few months out of warranty and was trying to hold out until the first of the year. Murphy's law...

I had a paper jam the other day, and fixed it in accordance with the on-screen instructions. Still, at least one of the the star wheels popped loose from a black clip.  When I spoke with a HP hardware rep today she quoted $1,019 for a 3 to 5 biz day fix; $1,199 for next day service (and a 2 biz day fix).  HP's in-warranty "next day" fix took about ten days in May.  (The problem was caused by the tiny paper sensor.) The closest third party repair today's HP rep recommended was in NY state (and I'm in Massachusetts).  

I haven't found any online guidelines for this, so I will probably be taking a big hit.

During my first year of owning this I was greatly distracted by family caregiving issues. I used the printer just a little at first. Fortunately, I kept it plugged in to keep the print heads happy. Are there other problems or maintenance issues I should anticipate?  Both of my problems occurred when using smaller sized sheets. Larger sizes have worked pretty well, although the original paper sensor eventually wouldn't detect anything.

1)  Get an extended warranty!
2)  Any suggestions for me regarding the repair my printer needs?

Thanks so much,
-- Connie

jmvdigital

• http://www.jmvdigital.com
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 12:33:19 pm »

Quote from: connkenn
I had a paper jam the other day, and fixed it in accordance with the on-screen instructions. Still, at least one of the the star wheels popped loose from a black clip.  When I spoke with a HP hardware rep today she quoted $1,019 for a 3 to 5 biz day fix; $1,199 for next day service (and a 2 biz day fix).  HP's in-warranty "next day" fix took about ten days in May.  (The problem was caused by the tiny paper sensor.) The closest third party repair today's HP rep recommended was in NY state (and I'm in Massachusetts).

I had the same issue. I'm getting marks on my prints, even after HP replaced the star wheel assembly last summer. The printer is now out of warranty, so they wanted the same $ as you quoted. I said no way, and asked for the part number. I found the "rubber pinch wheel" upgrade kit online for $79, and the "star wheel assembly with actuator" for $114. Screw that HP tech price.

Does anyone know when the Q5669-67061 "star wheel with actuator" kit came out? I got the new rubber pinch wheels, but I don't think they are going fix my pizza wheel marks, but I'm unsure if the tech already put in the revised star wheel assembly last August (2007) or not.

-J
--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

jmvdigital

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 12:38:48 pm »

I'm guessing I don't have the latest star wheel assembly because I don't have any up/down levers on the end of my star wheel bar assembly. Correct? Otherwise, my starwheels look exactly like the close-up image they have posted on the wiki (http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Z3100+problems). Is the actuator thing just a spacer? Can I do the same thing with a washer or something to bring the wheels off the paper surface slightly? Seems a waste to pay $120 for just two little levers.

On the Z3100 wiki, they have a PDF of the star wheel/rubber pinch replacement, and the part number listed for the star wheel replacement is Q5669-67062. Everything I've seen on here mentions 67061, which is it?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:41:54 pm by jmvdigital »
--

Edhopkins

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 06:23:23 pm »

Quote from: jmvdigital
I'm guessing I don't have the latest star wheel assembly because I don't have any up/down levers on the end of my star wheel bar assembly. Correct? Otherwise, my starwheels look exactly like the close-up image they have posted on the wiki (http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Z3100+problems). Is the actuator thing just a spacer? Can I do the same thing with a washer or something to bring the wheels off the paper surface slightly? Seems a waste to pay $120 for just two little levers.

On the Z3100 wiki, they have a PDF of the star wheel/rubber pinch replacement, and the part number listed for the star wheel replacement is Q5669-67062. Everything I've seen on here mentions 67061, which is it?

I got an extended warranty from my local dealer--not from HP--and they put the replacement part in for free some weeks back. We were not having problems yet, but wanted the upgraded part. No problem for them.  It was one replacement part, which supposedly addressed the star wheel marks and pinch wheel issues and the part number for the 44" pritner was given as:  Q6659-67016--STW with Actuator.

I am not certain that this single part covers all of the upgrades, but being under warranty for the next three years with a dealer I trust, I am not worried about it.

Ed
Baltimore

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »

Hi Jim,
I also had this done to my Z3100ps GP 44" PHOTO Printer. Took a while for the service tech to get all the parts. Had a few false starts. He first started out swapping in the tan pinch rollers one roller at a time, and then decided it would make sense to order up the entire roller unit assembled and ready for installation. It took him an entire day to do this job.

So far so good. I can now print baryta papers and with the adjustable star wheel assembly, I am confident about printing on some of the more delicate "touchy" papers.

One downside was that a fairly stiff, thick and actually quite inexpensive paper I used to use successfully, Breathing Color Poster Paper, won't feed because the new tan rollers don't have enough grip for this paper. (If anyone could use a roll of 42" wide Breathing Color Poster Paper-let me know). What happens is this. The paper appears to set up properly from start, but after it goes though the normal set up routines and the paper gets pulled back to the "ready" position, you think all is well. After sending the print job, the paper fails to advance. I tried backing the tension off the roll, but it didn't matter. Problem is that the printer thinks the paper is advancing so it dumps ink until you notice there is a failure in the feeding. Very messy misstep. First time it happened it did the printer calibration, but then failed to feed during the profiling.

How about you. Any papers giving you new and different problems since the repairs?

So long for now, TOM

Quote from: Jim Cole
I do not know the part numbers, but I had the pinch rollers (new tan ones) changed out as well as the star-wheel or pizza-wheel assembly. Two different upgrades.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 01:21:25 pm »

Quote from: dandeliondigital
Hi Jim,
I also had this done to my Z3100ps GP 44" PHOTO Printer. Took a while for the service tech to get all the parts. Had a few false starts. He first started out swapping in the tan pinch rollers one roller at a time, and then decided it would make sense to order up the entire roller unit assembled and ready for installation. It took him an entire day to do this job.
TOM (and others who have had this done recently)-
Did you have to do any more than just tell HP tech support that you needed the parts swap, or did they have you send them faulty prints?  I have an extended warranty with HP and am about to request the upgrade.  My problem is only on a couple of papers, and is not an issue on every print, either.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

jmvdigital

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 08:52:11 pm »

Quote from: jmvdigital

Anyone? Bueller?
--
Pages: [1]   Go Up