Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP PHOTOS did not not transfer to Lightroom 2  (Read 3222 times)

creativepro

HELP PHOTOS did not not transfer to Lightroom 2
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:09:14 am »

Hullo

I have a Mac Computer 10.5.4

as a newbie it was with trepidation I installed Lightroom 2 from the CD version.

Installation successful.

1. a search on the net website recommended to create a "new" LR2 catalog, then import the contents of the LR1 catalog ... which they said seems to work much much better than converting.

This I did - Unfortunately no photos transferred from Lightroom 1.4 to the newly installed Lightroom 2.

Nor did my presets from version 1.4.

I would be grateful if someone could walk me through what the steps I should be taking transferring  my photos and pre-sets to Lightroom 2.

thank you

Sue

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 02:43:33 pm »

Okay... first of all, open LR 2 and then open your Lightroom1.lrcat  catalogue file (whatever it's called), in LR 2.  Lightroom will tell you that it needs to convert the catalogue, will do so, and will open it.  Simple and painless.  If you're concerned, save a copy of your LR 1 catalogue somewhere, but it won't be touched in the conversion process.  You'll now have two catalogues, an LR 1 and an LR 2 catalogue.  All of your image information will be copied over into the new catalogue.

As far as presets, open LR 1 and go to Edit/Preferences (I think it's Lightroom/ Preferences on the Mac) and, under the 'Presets' tab see if the 'store presets with catalog' box is checked.  You can also click on the 'Show Lightroom Presets Folder' to see where the develop presets are stored on your hard drive.  Alternately, in the Develop Module you can right click/ Ctrl-click on any preset (not a preset folder but a preset) and click on 'Show in Explorer' or 'Show in Finder'.  That will also tell you where they are.

Close LR 1 and repeat the process in LR 2.  Since LR 2 isn't showing your presets, it's probably safe to assume they're being stored somewhere else.  Close LR 2 and copy the entire Develop Presets folder from wherever LR 1 has them to wherever LR2 expects them to be.  Reopen LR2 and they should be there.  NB:  This last step will probably be unnecessary if you have the 'store presets with catalogue' box checked in both LR 1 and LR 2 as both catalogues should be in the same folder.

Hope that helps.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

creativepro

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:44:56 am »

Hi Mike

Thanks for your quick response.

Although your directions are clearly given - what would your opinion be if I rather uninstalled Lightroom 2 and re-install?   or would that add another complication?  Depending on your views, if I do uninstall, do I just drag Lightroom 2 to the trash?

I think I am a bit concerned on messing around for the pre-sets to make their appearance in the already installed Lightroom 2 from Lightroom 1.4..

Or am I being over cautious!!!

regards

Sue

Okay... first of all, open LR 2 and then open your Lightroom1.lrcat  catalogue file (whatever it's called), in LR 2.  Lightroom will tell you that it needs to convert the catalogue, will do so, and will open it.  Simple and painless.  If you're concerned, save a copy of your LR 1 catalogue somewhere, but it won't be touched in the conversion process.  You'll now have two catalogues, an LR 1 and an LR 2 catalogue.  All of your image information will be copied over into the new catalogue.

As far as presets, open LR 1 and go to Edit/Preferences (I think it's Lightroom/ Preferences on the Mac) and, under the 'Presets' tab see if the 'store presets with catalog' box is checked.  You can also click on the 'Show Lightroom Presets Folder' to see where the develop presets are stored on your hard drive.  Alternately, in the Develop Module you can right click/ Ctrl-click on any preset (not a preset folder but a preset) and click on 'Show in Explorer' or 'Show in Finder'.  That will also tell you where they are.

Close LR 1 and repeat the process in LR 2.  Since LR 2 isn't showing your presets, it's probably safe to assume they're being stored somewhere else.  Close LR 2 and copy the entire Develop Presets folder from wherever LR 1 has them to wherever LR2 expects them to be.  Reopen LR2 and they should be there.  NB:  This last step will probably be unnecessary if you have the 'store presets with catalogue' box checked in both LR 1 and LR 2 as both catalogues should be in the same folder.

Hope that helps.

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220402\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

francois

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:23:16 am »

Although your directions are clearly given - what would your opinion be if I rather uninstalled Lightroom 2 and re-install?   or would that add another complication?  Depending on your views, if I do uninstall, do I just drag Lightroom 2 to the trash?

I don't see any need to uninstall and reinstall LR2. You'll only be wasting your time. LR 1 and LR 2 can co-exist, at least on the Mac.

I think I am a bit concerned on messing around for the pre-sets to make their appearance in the already installed Lightroom 2 from Lightroom 1.4..

Or am I being over cautious!!!
regards
Sue
FWIW, I installed LR2 then converted my catalog. All my LR 1.4 presets are available in LR 2. Mike's suggestion about presets is correct.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up