Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: photographing a symphony orchestra  (Read 3872 times)

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
photographing a symphony orchestra
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:08:34 am »

Quick question ... I have to photograph a symphony orchestra in situ (not performing) in a not really nice concert hall ... I would like to control the lighting there as much as possible and while the lighting rig is there .. it's not that great for what I would like... standard key fill and back lights.  Has anyone ever used a flash setup for this .. and if so how big do you think the reflectors would be?  

Ros

NBP

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:18:12 am »

Quick question ... I have to photograph a symphony orchestra in situ (not performing) in a not really nice concert hall ... I would like to control the lighting there as much as possible and while the lighting rig is there .. it's not that great for what I would like... standard key fill and back lights.  Has anyone ever used a flash setup for this .. and if so how big do you think the reflectors would be?  

Ros
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220300\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did a one when I was an assistant once, must be going back 10yrs or so. From what I can remember as well as some v.large softsboxes, we had in 4 octas. All Elli kit - can't remember what, but I'd guess it must have been something like 2400/3000 heads&packs & a fair few of them.
In other words a lot of gear is your answer!

ixpressraf

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:09:25 am »

I use one or two auraflash heads with big powerpacks. works perfect when lightin big rooms. If needed ad keylight with standard flashheads.

michele

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 10:09:46 am »

why don't you take 3 or 4 shots? You can shot 3 or 4 groups of people and then marge trough photoshop...It's very easy, and you need just 2 or 3 light points...
I did something like this in the picture below, first the shot for the people with one flash, then, with the camera still on the tripod the shot of the background that was huge...
(note that I have not finished yet the retouching...)

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 12:49:31 pm »

Thanks everybody ... am doing a test in the venue tomorrow hopefully.  I was on to the local cine-hire place and have sourced 12 foot by 12 foot reflectors on T-bar stands.  I am hoping to use 2 1500 Watt, 2 1000 Watt and 2 500 Watt Bowens Monoblocks with the larger ones shooting on to the reflectors.  (Bowens is the only properly supported system in this country)  After the test tomorrow I will decide which option is more feasible.  
(It would be nice to get everyone at the same time .. although I take the point about doing them in groups... I'm looking at that too)

Ros

rmastro

• http://www.rogermastroianni.com
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 06:51:26 pm »

With a group that large make sure that your front light sources are as soft as possible and the musicians are spaced so that no shadows fall on the faces in the second row and beyond. To give depth to your group see if you can get the stagehands to rig some of your strobes on the light bars above the stage, you don't need much because those lights will be closer than your mains, just be sure to cover the whole stage. Don't forget to push the seating out a little behind the conductor or the musicians behind will not be seen. Definitely shoot the stage empty with available light to put your exposures together. Be sure to push all of the chairs in to give yourself a clean perimeter.

I shoot a full symphony every two years and digital has certainly made it easier. My only complaint besides have to mask an entire orchestra is that when you hire so many strobe heads the color temp of each brand will be very different. I try to group them so that the mains are the same and the overhead strobes are the same.

Roger
Pages: [1]   Go Up