Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: More exciting Leaf news  (Read 23799 times)

yaya

More exciting Leaf news
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:39:53 am »

Hello everyone,

A press release has gone out this morning (EU time) along with a set of PDFs and product shots on our website.

Everyone have already heard about the new Leaf 56MP solutions in the shape of the AFi-10 and the Aptus 10. However with Photokina only 2 weeks away, we have decided to spill some more beans about the exciting new line of Leaf products:
I thought I'll give you all a quick rundown of this new and exciting line of products:

Flexibility: Leaf is listening

An all new AFi-II and Aptus-II range, based on 28,33 and 56MP sensors, this new range is offering the most flexible tool set with some unique and unbeatable features:

Leaf Verto technology: the Leaf AFi-II 7 and the Leaf AFi-II 10 have an internally rotating sensor

New 3.5” LCD touch screen: All AFi-II and Aptus-II models offer a brighter screen with more contrast to allow for better viewing both indoors and outdoors

Tilt screen: On the AFi-II 7 and AFi-II 10, you can tilt the screen upwards (up to 90º), for easier and better viewing in the studio or outside
The new screen is now working also when tethered on AFi, AFi-II and Aptus-II, allowing for image viewing, focus check, histogram, image info and some basic controls.

Leaf SensorFlex technology: On the AFi-II 10 and Aptus-II 10 you can now choose between several pre-defined crops, enabling you to save space and speed up your work in cases where not all 56MP are required, by increasing capture rate and reducing the raw file size and pixel count.

Seamless move between tethered and portable modes: As long as you have a CF card in the camera, you can pull the FW800 cable at anytime and continue to shoot

New cable release for the AFi and AFi-II that is connected to the imaging module

iPhone and iPod Touch compatibility: A new Leaf software application will allow you to use your iPhone or iPod touch for viewing your images and controlling your imaging module while tethered. This new Leaf software will be available for download via iTunes and will be demonstrated at Photokina.

New Leaf Capture 11.2

Leaf AFi-II bi-directional controls: dynamic exposure meter, exposure and metering modes, aperture and shutter speed, exposure compensation, flash sync and mirror controls

Schneider electronic shutter control In addition to the already supported Rollei e-Shutter.

Colour Live View on AFi, AFi-II and Aptus-II: You can now choose to work in either colour or B&W and we’ve added a Gray balance tool as well as a Brightness slider control.

Improved Compare view: Panning and Zooming can now be done simultaneously on multiple images
Software registration: you can now receive a notification whenever a new version of software/ firmware is made available for your camera

Availability: The new AFi-II 6, 7 and Aptus-II 6,7 will be available for delivery at Photokina. The AFi-II 10 will start shipping at the end of Q4 and the Aptus-II 10 is expected in early Q1/2009

All of this (and more) is going to be shown at Photokina, starting Sept 23rd. I'm hoping to see some of you there.

Yair
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:47:54 am by yaya »

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 07:55:37 am »

Yair,

Very interesting news!  

About LC 11.2, any improvements in tone curve or fill light, recovery etc? LC already interpret my Aptus 65 files better than any software, but so far seem aimed at studio where light can be controlled. For my landscape and outdoor photo has seemed difficult to use. Any news on more controls?

Much thanks for info!  

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:58:43 am by Anders_HK »

H1/A75 Guy

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:57:03 am »

Leaf Verto technology: the Leaf AFi-II 7
Sold!! You gotta love a Leaf!!!

David

FrançoisTT

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 10:25:08 am »

The AFi5 (22mp) would be discontinued ?
The new Leaf large chip entry-level would be the AFi-II 7 (or Aptus II-7) ?

yaya

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:43:52 am »

The AFi5 (22mp) would be discontinued ?
The new Leaf large chip entry-level would be the AFi-II 7 (or Aptus II-7) ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes and no. The 22MP Aptus backs will still be available as refurbished, entry level products.

Yair

william

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:12:34 am »

Any word on pricing of the AFI-II 6 and 7?

revaaron

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:31 am »

what cameras?

yaya

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 11:24:41 am »

Any word on pricing of the AFI-II 6 and 7?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Within a week we'll have all the prices for these new products, including trade-in paths.

In general I would say that they are similar to the current prices or a bit lower.

BTW the full press release is available [a href=\"http://www.leaf-photography.com/news/newleafproducts]here[/url]

Yair

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 11:26:37 am »

Usability mprovements, finally. Now, how good is the hi-iso ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:40:50 am »

In general I would say that they are similar to the current prices or a bit lower.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220351\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A bit lower? Now that is a step in the right direction and from the looks of it in another direction than some of the competition. Congratulations on the new products. Leaf is still very much on my radar (even if I have just invested in another new back).

H1/A75 Guy

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 11:43:34 am »

Within a week we'll have all the prices for these new products, including trade-in paths.
Don't forget the new product warranties.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:44:22 am by H1/A75 Guy »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 01:58:10 pm »

Yair,

A comment and a couple of questions:

I find the 56Mpxl high resolution, revolving capability and tilting screen of the AFi-II 10 back really appealing.

AFi-II refers only to the back?  ie. the camera body is identical to the AFi camera body available today?  (I was a bit confused by this terminology--since AFi previously referred to the camera body, I wasn't sure if the back was "coupled" with a special version of the AFi camera.)

1) I have a Sinar Hy6 -- will the AFi-II 10 work on my camera body?
2) When you announce prices will you have competitive upgrade pricing (from a Sinar eMotion 75LV?)

Thanks,
Brad
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:58:39 pm by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

rsanchez28

• http://
More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 02:47:24 pm »

I have the same question regarding the difference between the bodies of the afi and the afi II.  I see that you can now display the histogram in the lcd display.  Is this just a firmware change?  Are there any new mechanical or electronic changes to the body of the afi II system?  It sounds like most of the new features are in the digital back.

Thanks,
Rich

yaya

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 03:42:11 pm »

To be clear, there are no physical/ mechanical changes to the body itself, only to the imaging module.

However since the AFi and the AFi II are sold mostly as camera systems, we present them as different products.

The histogram on the grip display is a result of the imaging module being able to send this info to the camera body.

One will be able to purchase the AFi-II imaging module and to use it on a Sinar/ Rolleiflex Hy6 with the only difference being a different type of battery that is used in the grip.

There are going to be trade-in paths available for users of Leaf backs as well as other makes. These will be communicated through our dealer network as soon as they are available.

Yair

AndrewDyer

• http://www.andrewdyer.com
More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 04:37:43 pm »

Hello Yair.

Exciting times for you.

Can I ask you about the Live View?
I was reading your press release, where it mentions a new Colour Live View while shooting tethered.
Is this colour live view on the computer screen, or just on the digital back screen?
If it is on the computer screen, do you still need a dongle or does LC 11.2 do away with the need for  an expensive dongle.... or is this only for the new backs and not for my "old" Aptus 22?

thanks.
Andrew
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:39:22 pm by AndrewDyer »
Andrew
 ht

yaya

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 05:12:56 pm »

Hello Yair.

Exciting times for you.

Can I ask you about the Live View?
I was reading your press release, where it mentions a new Colour Live View while shooting tethered.
Is this colour live view on the computer screen, or just on the digital back screen?
If it is on the computer screen, do you still need a dongle or does LC 11.2 do away with the need for  an expensive dongle.... or is this only for the new backs and not for my "old" Aptus 22?

thanks.
Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Andrew, yes it is exciting and you should see my inbox exploding, explains why I'm here at 10pm:-)

Live View is still only possible when tethered to a computer. To have this feature on the back requires a move to a different sensor technology which does not exist at MF sizes.

For your Aptus 22 you will still have to use the dongle.

Yair

rsanchez28

• http://
More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 05:38:12 pm »

Yair,
Can the ISO setting now be adjusted via the camera controls in addition to the digital back menu?  I know in the earlier version, the camera ISO setting could only control ISO for film backs only.

Thanks,
Rich

Fritzer

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 07:27:28 pm »

So the sensor is rotating ?
I assume it will take at least a year to find out if that solution provides proper sharpness, let alone reliability.
Using mainly an LF camera, I'm not really exited.

56x36 : Leaf is listening, indeed ! To whom ? Not much gained in terms of real-life resolution.
Listen to that: stop charging a silly amount, if anything, for the life view dongle.

iPhone and iPod compatibility - that the best you can do for remote viewing ?
Download the required app via iTunes - so now a 30k DB has turned into just another gadget ?

Also, the leaf-photography website doesn't work properly on Safari; to all Mac users, Firefox is working.

I'm really questioning my decision to go the Leaf way....

yaya

More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 08:02:04 pm »

Tom please see my comment below;

I assume it will take at least a year to find out if that solution provides proper sharpness, let alone reliability.
We've had rotating sensors in thousands of Leaf Volare/ Cantare backs since 1998 working mostly on LF cameras and none had sharpness or reliability issues related to the mechanism.
This feature along with the tilting screen were definitely designed with LF use in mind. You may change your opinion after seeing it in real.
56x36 : Leaf is listening, indeed ! To whom ? Not much gained in terms of real-life resolution.
Depends on what you consider as "real life resolution"...for example a 8X11 crop (done on the fly) will give you approx. 48MP, this is 15MP more compared to what you can get from the 33MP backs.
Listen to that: stop charging a silly amount, if anything, for the life view dongle.
The AFi, AFi-II and Aptus-II do not require a dongle. The dongle for the current models can be had for 500 EUR, which is not an unreasonable price IMO.
Download the required app via iTunes - so now a 30k DB has turned into just another gadget ?
I would hold judgement until seeing this solution in action, I think you will be surprised...Also the iPhone is now being heavily marketed for professional corporate use, all handled by Apple's systems.
Also, the leaf-photography website doesn't work properly on Safari; to all Mac users, Firefox is working.
That's odd, 90 percent of our customers and almost 100 percent of our dealers and employees (myself included) use Macs and Safari and we do not get many complaints about the website's compatibility. However I will ask our web team to contact you so they can get more info about the problems you are having.

Hope this helps, yair

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
More exciting Leaf news
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 08:11:19 pm »

I'm really questioning my decision to go the Leaf way....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's why I choose Phase one in the end. Ok another factor is that I don't like leaf shutter lenses and really don't need them.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up