Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP easy printer care can't find Z3100  (Read 7282 times)

damdeziner

HP easy printer care can't find Z3100
« on: September 07, 2008, 06:36:55 pm »

My Hp utilities are not seeing the Z3100!
I recently found a newer driver 61.73.361.41 (for me anyway) and decided to install--all went well.
Now I have found that the "HP color center" and "HP easy printer care are not seeing the printer.
I am connected directly to the printer with USB.
I made an effort to uninstall the printer and then reinstall but the utilities still report that they can't see the printer (strange).
I tried a test print direct from windows and the printer responded?

Has anyone had the same experience with windows XP and the new driver.

Also, I tried to install the new firmware and found as reported by others that it is corrupted or something--no go there.

Help here would be very appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Dave.

marty m

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:49:24 pm »

Have you tried the network connection?  That might work when USB doesn't.  I suspect that most of us use the network connection.

I had a similar USB problem with a different HP laserjet.  I have pasted below the solution in that case.  I have no idea if this is relevant to your situation, but maybe it will point you or others in the right direction.  I'm only guessing that you might succeed by deleting what has already been done, and doing a fresh reinstall of the USB driver.  But I don't know enough about the USB driver to be much help in telling you where that is for the Z3100 since I have never used the USB connection.

PS  I finally the got the Z3100 working with Vista, but have to print directly and not use the spooler.  In my case, I am leaving well enough alone.  I won't be installing the new firmware or driver for the very reason that you provide.  I'm afraid that it might cause even more problems.  So I am leaving well enough alone as long as I can print.  Barely.

USB solution for a different HP printer --

* I  couldn’t get the HP 3030 to connect through USB.  The drivers would install OK, and sometimes it would print a test page.  Once it printed a test page and a word doc.  When I then rebooted, it wouldn’t print at all.
*  Solution:
*  Unplugged the USB cord to printer
*  In Device Manager under IEEEE 1284.4 compatible printer, uninstalled the HP LaserJet 3030 (DOTPRT)
*  NOTE that I uninstalled the DOTPRT, not the DOT4USB that us under IEEE 1284.4 devices
*  Then we cleared out the printer itself to restore all defaults
*  Then reboot the PC as well, and the PRT driver will reinstall on its own
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:56:46 pm by marty m »

damdeziner

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 07:12:53 pm »

Marty--Thanks for the response!
I uninstalled the utilities and then reinstalled them--rebooted.
The printer is now recognized in the color center and the printer care utilities--but I tried to calibrate a roll of paper and the utilities say that " the device is unavailable".
This leaves me to start from scratch and reinstall everything as I did notice that on my last reinstall the software found the new driver that I placed in a folder. I will take the install back to the begining purchase state.
I have been working fine with the Usb direct method for some time with no problems so it must be the newer driver that is the culprit here?

marty m

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 07:46:07 pm »

Marty--Thanks for the response!
I uninstalled the utilities and then reinstalled them--rebooted.
The printer is now recognized in the color center and the printer care utilities--but I tried to calibrate a roll of paper and the utilities say that " the device is unavailable".
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I had that problem as well but don't remember the solution, because there were so many problems.

If your problems  continue, this thread might be helpful:

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=22689&st=0#entry169828]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....t=0#entry169828[/url]

Spain never solved these problems.  So once I finally -- barely -- got the printer working with my system -- I have left well enough alone.

If you get it working again, that would be my advice to you -- leave it alone and don't install new drivers or firmware unless HP says they solve windows issues.

Your question about the new driver -- don't know.  Didn't install it.  You might roll back to the previous driver and see if it works.  But as you do these things, you will likely end up with driver corruption, as I did, and have to clean everything out, as explained in the thread.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 07:54:51 pm by marty m »

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 08:10:46 pm »

I have been working fine with the Usb direct method for some time with no problems so it must be the newer driver that is the culprit here?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not necessarily.  Have you checked your firewall to make sure its not blocking communications to the printer?
Regards,
Ron

marty m

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 08:17:15 pm »

Not necessarily.  Have you checked your firewall to make sure its not blocking communications to the printer?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That is a good suggestion.  I vaguely remember that it might have been an issue for me as well.  Ron is right.  Turn off the firewall first before doing anything else to see if it is the problem, because then the solution is easy.  Once you start uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, you may end up with complete corruption, as explained in the other thread I provided above.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:19:25 pm by marty m »

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 08:27:31 pm »

Uninstalling the drivers isn't a complete answer to anything.  Their uninstall doesn't get rid of everything.  You generally have to clean up the directories if you truly want to start fresh.    

Personally, I never installed 61.73.361.41 as I didn't need the new paper types.
Regards,
Ron

marty m

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 08:33:01 pm »

Uninstalling the drivers isn't a complete answer to anything.  Their uninstall doesn't get rid of everything.  You generally have to clean up the directories if you truly want to start fresh.   

Personally, I never installed 61.73.361.41 as I didn't need the new paper types.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree.  The thread that I provided, and the document,  goes way beyond a simple uninstall.  Candidly, it also involved changes to the registry.  Spain asked me to not post those, so I didn't.  But the solution went well beyond a simple reinstall.  It was a radical wipe of every reference to ALL printers in ALL areas of the system.

That finally stopped the complete collapse of CS3 when I hit the print button.  It did not solve the other issues, and Spain gave up and said they could not solve them despite the fact that their own PCs had the problem.

Since Spain never wrote back to me with a solution, my conclusion is that running the Z3100 on a Mac is a much safer bet.  If I was ever to sell my Z3100, I'd try to find a buyer who is running a Mac, and warn anyone with Windows that there are no guarantees.

damdeziner

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 09:03:08 pm »

Not necessarily.  Have you checked your firewall to make sure its not blocking communications to the printer?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure how to disconnect firewall--but I did disconnect the internet all together eliminating the router firewall. This did nothing to bring a smile to my face.

Thanks

damdeziner

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 09:06:37 pm »

That is a good suggestion.  I vaguely remember that it might have been an issue for me as well.  Ron is right.  Turn off the firewall first before doing anything else to see if it is the problem, because then the solution is easy.  Once you start uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, you may end up with complete corruption, as explained in the other thread I provided above.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well--I figured out how to turn off the windows firewall but I'm still not smiling.

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 09:07:03 pm »

Most everything should run better on Mac. Unix isn't hobbled by anything as dopey and unreliable as the "registry".

No hate mail please.
Regards,
Ron

marty m

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 09:08:19 pm »

Most everything should run better on Mac. Unix isn't hobbled by anything as dopey and unreliable as the "registry".

No hate mail please.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

None from me!

Dave -- need to turn off the internet for now.  The above link and doc summarizes my experience for what it is worth.  Try a complete uninstall following the document posed on the link, and a complete reinstall.

Back up your system first just in case you do something that causes even greater problems.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:15:07 pm by marty m »

marty m

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 09:17:24 pm »

Well--I figured out how to turn off the windows firewall but I'm still not smiling.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220054\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
One final comment.  Are you running any other anti-virus software or firewalls, like Norton?  Turn that off as well.  Even better, remove it.  Norton can be the cause of other problems, so I stopped using it years ago.

marty m

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 09:27:57 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220054\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Before signing off and abandoning you, I ploughed through dozens of emails with the team in Spain.  I solved the same problem you are having, but found the solution on my own.  Here is what I wrote to the team in Spain:

"I did devise a solution, by creating a new port as recommended in the Luminous Landscape posting that I sent you.  Once I did that, the printer suddenly showed up in the Utility.  In the case of my XP notebook, I had the same problem.  In that case I finally remembered that the printer would take USB, and I moved the notebook close enough to do that.  Once the Utility saw the printer through USB, it would see it when I switched the port to the HP Ethernet port.  I hope that explains and responds to your question."

I believe that my reference to anew port is a reference to a network port, so that doesn't help you.

You mentioned a router.  Why not try the network connection?

damdeziner

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 10:29:50 pm »

Before signing off and abandoning you, I ploughed through dozens of emails with the team in Spain.  I solved the same problem you are having, but found the solution on my own.  Here is what I wrote to the team in Spain:

"I did devise a solution, by creating a new port as recommended in the Luminous Landscape posting that I sent you.  Once I did that, the printer suddenly showed up in the Utility.  In the case of my XP notebook, I had the same problem.  In that case I finally remembered that the printer would take USB, and I moved the notebook close enough to do that.  Once the Utility saw the printer through USB, it would see it when I switched the port to the HP Ethernet port.  I hope that explains and responds to your question."

I believe that my reference to anew port is a reference to a network port, so that doesn't help you.

You mentioned a router.  Why not try the network connection?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to help with my issues.
Time is something most of us don't have extra amounts of--so thank you...Really!

Dave.

marty m

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 11:57:12 pm »

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to help with my issues.
Time is something most of us don't have extra amounts of--so thank you...Really!

Dave.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220063\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You're more then welcome.  I have been there and frustrated with these problems, so I can sympathize.

Others in the forum, with far greater expertise than I possess, have provided me with similar help over the years.  So I am happy to return the favor when I can do so.

damdeziner

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 12:32:01 am »

You're more then welcome.  I have been there and frustrated with these problems, so I can sympathize.

Others in the forum, with far greater expertise than I possess, have provided me with similar help over the years.  So I am happy to return the favor when I can do so.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good news!...well, at least my issues are handled with regard to the HP printer utility.
I called Hp and explained my situation, the fella' was attentive and knowledgable. Basically we uninstalled the utilities, both of them (the utility and the color center). Next--we downloaded the "HP utility center" from the HP site, installed--then re-booted the printer and computer...All is working well!
In hindsight this makes sense, sometimes the simple stuff is taken for granted. I have been using the original disc to install utiliies--duh!
I mentioned the issue with the new firmware download (XP version) and how it is corrupt. He thought I was dropping packets, so I had a friend try a couple o' times with a fast corporate connection yet he had no luck as well--there's a problem!
The guy from HP said he would call and check on me in a couple of days, I'll bring this too his attention when he calls...good service!

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up