Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to synch keywords organization with Bridge  (Read 2944 times)

photobadger

Trying to synch keywords organization with Bridge
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:17:23 pm »

For ages, I've been primarily keywording in bridge before importing into lightroom. Mostly because Lightroom v1 was the only tool that could make Bridge look fast.

Because of this I ended up with a fairly well organized keyword list in Bridge, and a fairly disorganized one in Lightroom. It seemed that Lightroom would add any keyword that was new and came in on a photo. Sometimes it was organized in the hierarchy and sometimes it wasn't. The end result was a mess.

I then had a bright idea. I know, famous last words.

I spent a while further organizing the Bridge keywords, and then exported them. I then also exported the lightroom keywords and spent a few hours making sure that all the keywords in the lightroom set were also in the bridge set. There were a dozen or so times that I had added new key words there. Once that was done I went to import the bridge-based keyword set into Lightroom.

First surprise was that, unlike bridge, there wasn't an option to delete the current keywords and read the new. Instead it merged the existing and the import. Not that big a deal I though. I can just delete the old ones, but when I looked at the imported keywords I notice that they were not associating with the keywords on the pictures.

So the existing keywords included Avian>Surf Scoter, this shows 12 pictures in the catalog, and makes it easy to select them. The imported keywords included Animals>Avian>Surf Scoter. This probably makes sense as each keyword in lightroom is likely an entry in a db table and the new keywords though having the same leaf name, are going in as new table entries. But is isn't helpful.

Finally (I know it took me long enough) does anyone know of a way of now associating the new keyword, back with the keywords tagged on pictures?

Joe

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:51:14 pm »

I have a related question.   I am trying to import the keywords from Bridge in LR but canot find the location where they are kept.  Please guide me to where they are located.

After reading your post, I wonder if importing is such a good idea.  I do notice that when importing some images, the key words seem to come with them into LR.  Can't they be organized after importing?
mdiimaging.com

photobadger

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:07:17 pm »

I have a related question.   I am trying to import the keywords from Bridge in LR but canot find the location where they are kept.  Please guide me to where they are located.

After reading your post, I wonder if importing is such a good idea.  I do notice that when importing some images, the key words seem to come with them into LR.  Can't they be organized after importing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To import the keywords from Bride into LR you first export the keywords from bridge by using the bridge keyword menu (upper-left corner of the keyword panel, click and you will see Export Keywords) to save the file. You then import them in bridge by going to the metadata menu and using import keywords.

I'm sure they can be organized after bringing them in. In my case it will take about 8 hours to do so (the panel isn't made for organizing).

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up