Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fine prints like those produced in the 90s  (Read 8112 times)

hs0zfe

fine prints like those produced in the 90s
« on: September 07, 2008, 07:36:02 am »

I love the quality, the tonal range and the detail of fine prints. Never managed to produce one myself.

Is there a market, as I have been searching for a long time for original fine prints without speculating on increases in value and I do not care whether they are autographed. Even the photographer's name is not important. I just want this level of perfection.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:03:39 pm »

Don't really understand your question.

However, if it's tonality you like then look for old advertising, commercial, and portrait photographic prints from the days when the view camera was king, there are quite a few really superb prints in among that stuff.  You need to look quick, ebay is driving up prices!  But that would be stuff from the 20's through 50's, not the 90's for which I care little.  Long live Royal-X Pan!

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:45:15 am »

Yes, of course there is a market, but I donĀ“t exactly see how you can expect to get anything worthwhile without paying through the nose for it today. A print, of perfect technical quality (for me, a well-glazed one) with all possible tones on show is meaningless unless the content is worth looking at too.

To get that latter quality, I suggest that you forget all about landscape and the ubiquitous pepper shots and look at the work of guys that used to be with Globe Photos in the 50s. A personal view, but that was a time when quality was taken for granted or you felt, no, absorbed the caress of the doorknob on your way out.

Have fun, but be prepared to spend or forget it.

Rob C

Xanthor

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 01:05:15 am »

I have about 72 prints from the New York Graphical Society from the 70-80's  and I put them on ebay and nobody baught them.  I even asked the same price they were in 1970-80.   Some of them were numbered and signed.  I had several people ask me if I wanted to buy theirs though    

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:57:49 pm »

Quote from: Xanthor
I have about 72 prints from the New York Graphical Society from the 70-80's  and I put them on ebay and nobody baught them.  I even asked the same price they were in 1970-80.   Some of them were numbered and signed.  I had several people ask me if I wanted to buy theirs though    
Ebay is lousy market for contemporary photography.  Deco, Nouveau, Hurrell, Clarence Bull, anything with the slightest nostalgic or classic association can do incredibly well, but not contemporary...unless it's framed and under $35.00.  An original print of Fay Wray in her famous brassiere-revealing King Kong pose went for $8,500 yesterday, about 80 times my bid.

Try some of the big photo galleries, they might at least list your stuff.

Moynihan

• jay moynihan:  glances stares & nods
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:56:48 am »

If you are writing about getting high quality, B&W 8x10ish prints, by other photographers, you might want to check out the folio series stuff at Lenswork.com.
I bought one of the folios over the holidays, very nice quality, very reasonable price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up