Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 firmware TR12-TR_07_00_00-3_mvl40-x86-opt  (Read 44295 times)

marty m

• http://
z3100 firmware TR12-TR_07_00_00-3_mvl40-x86-opt
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2008, 06:48:10 pm »

Quote from: Charles Gast
HP needs an i in there for idiots.  Now all the links for the firmware download go nowhere. Even the one for Mac and the GP model.  HiP or HPi hmmm.  I like to be nice even in the face of incompetence but I do reach a boiling point.  They're retards.
What about the fact that new firmware appears to cause a hardware failure in the early models of the Z3100 based on the reports above?  (And since the same problem occurred in two separate cases, it appears to be related to the firmware and not an unrelated hardware problem.)  

If those reports are accurate, and the cause is directly related to the firmware rather than coincidental and unrelated hardware failure, then it constitutes a text book case of incompetent tech support from HP.

I have had serious problems with the software and firmware for the Z3100.  At the moment the printer limping along and working.  I'm leaving well enough alone and not installing any of the new firmware or software releases.

I have one of the earliest models of the Z3100, and the last thing I need is a hardware failure caused by new firmware.

Charles described it exactly right.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:24:41 pm by marty m »

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2008, 06:56:54 pm »

Marty,

Sorry, but your rants are becoming tiresome.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

marty m

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2008, 06:59:56 pm »

Quote from: Jim Cole
Marty,

Jim
Jim:

Why don't you respond to the point instead of engaging in name calling?  

Tell me how you can defend a company that based on reports in this thread has turned out firmware that causes a hardware failure in their own printers?  That is not a rant.  That is a fact based on user reports in this thread.  (And I even qualified that, by saying "if those reports are accurate" and it wasn't a "coincidental and unrelated" hardware failure, but that appears to be unlikely since it happened in at least two separate cases.)

If that is not incompetent tech support, then please define those terms for me.

How bad does tech support have to be before you call it incompetent?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:09:41 pm by marty m »

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2008, 07:09:35 pm »

iHP? Or HiP? Or HiPi?  I like it!

I did go to the link from earlier in this thread, and the mac version started to download. Still no XP version tho... Maybe it was just an  iHiccuP!    

Bill

Quote from: Charles Gast
HP needs an i in there for idiots.  Now all the links for the firmware download go nowhere. Even the one for Mac and the GP model.  HiP or HPi hmmm.  I like to be nice even in the face of incompetence but I do reach a boiling point.  They're retards.
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

Roscolo

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2008, 08:19:40 pm »

Quote from: Jim Cole
Marty,

Jim

I agree. We need a moderator on this board.

marty m

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2008, 08:52:37 pm »

Quote from: Roscolo
I post one comment noting the fact that the firmware has caused hardware failures, and describing that as incompetent tech support if it is true.  That seems to be a pretty logical and straight forward conclusion.

Next, I am accused of a rant.  I respond by asking Jim to explain how that comment is a rant, and  challenge him to explain how it is not incompetence on the part of tech support if HP firmware has caused hardware failures.  And if that is not a definition of incompetence then what is?  No response to that.  

Next, one of the biggest defenders of HP, no matter what the circumstances, and no matter what HP may do, wants a moderator so that comments critical of HP can be censored!

But still no response to the original point.  If firmware causing hardware failures is not incompetence in tech support, then what qualifies as your definition of incompetent tech support for those of you who defend HP at all costs and no matter what?

Instead of name calling, and calling for censorship, how about if you respond to the point I made?

P.S.  Moderators are needed when personal attacks occur.  My comments have addressed the record of HP, and not been personally directed at individual forum members -- unless and until I was forced to respond to attacks directed at me.  Go back and read my first posting in this thread, above.  My choice of words was carefully qualified and judicious.  To now call for censorship is just plain silly and absurd.  Is that the best you can do when defending HP?  To not address the points I made, but instead call for censorship?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 09:34:35 pm by marty m »

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2008, 09:01:26 pm »

Those who have problems tend to outspeak those who are content as the latter are busy, working.

I've been busy, working.  I've got the latest firmware; installed no problem (March 2007 vintage printer).  My 44" z3100 is running like a champ.  My customers love the output; they can't get enough of the sharpness, the gamut (fine art repro customers especially) and the extreme durability of the inkset.  (I'm using a photo print as a mousepad, for chrissake, and it just won't fail.)  It's cheap to run (especially now with the run-to-empty firmware), cheap to own, takes care of itself and last time I checked it was on sale for about half the price I paid for it.  As far as I'm concerned, if you're in the market for a LF printer, you'd be a fool to dismiss the z3100.  The only piece of equipment I own that earns me more money is my 85/1.4.  And the only reason I don't sleep with it is because it snores too much.  

Roscolo

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »

LOL...   We REALLY could benefit from a moderator.

Now, back to the firmware...Anyone running the new firmware on XP 64 or Vista 64?

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2008, 11:21:05 pm »

I don't know. There will always be folks who respond inappropriately,  and in fact, many of us, in my experience, have probably responded inappropriately at some time on some board- it's the nature of email and forum communication. I think the key is to learn who tends to go off and who doesn't, and to not respond when they do. I have found that many people who tend to respond inappropriately also make positive at other times.

Bill

Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

marty m

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2008, 12:41:50 am »

Quote from: William Morse
I don't know. There will always be folks who respond inappropriately,  and in fact, many of us, in my experience, have probably responded inappropriately at some time on some board- it's the nature of email and forum communication. I think the key is to learn who tends to go off and who doesn't, and to not respond when they do. I have found that many people who tend to respond inappropriately also make positive at other times.

Bill
I appreciate Bill's comment, and all the more so because he has earned my respect.  I have nonetheless decided to no longer post in or participate in the printers forum.  No more "rants" from me.  This is my final posting.

My recent posts made two points, and the defenders of HP at-all-costs disagreed even with these:

(1)  That anyone who receives equipment for free, such as the Z3200, either on a temporary or permanent basis, has an ethical obligation to disclose that when posting either positive or negative comments -- but especially in the case of posting positive reviews.  

It is a clear cut ethical conflict of interest to not do so.  

The only person who did so, in the case of the Z3200, was Bill Morse, and I again commend and compliment him for doing so.  Bill also educated me on my own naivety.  It hadn't occurred to me that those posting and reporting on the Z3200 received it for free.  Bill flatly asserted that it applied in the case of every posting from every person who has a Z3200, since it is not even available for sale yet.  No, that hadn't occurred to me, and I doubt it would be so self-evident to a casual reader of the forum.  

Apparently everyone else thinks it is acceptable to take free equipment, not disclose that fact, and post rave reviews.  In my view, those that do so are little more than a paid corporate shill because they declined to openly state their affiliation. Failure to report such a financial relationship is a serious conflict of interest.  

Please note that this is not a criticism of HP.  This has nothing to do with HP.  It has everything to do with those who receive the free equipment, post rave reviews, and do not disclose that fact.  

(As I also noted, the only exception to that is someone who is generally known to have a paid relationship with a company, and that applies to one individual who posts in the printers forum with regards to Epson.  Everyone knows who he works for, he hasn't made any attempt to hide that affiliation, but has in fact previously acknowledged and disclosed it, and the above is not a reference to that individual.  Nor does it apply to one or two others who sell printers, including both HP and Epson, and who have disclosed that relationship.)

(2)  There were two postings that the new firmware caused a hardware failure.  One of those posted that this occurred after his warranty had expired.  Presumably that means that he had to spend hundreds of dollars for a service call for the parts and labor; or he had to pay for the part himself at an unknown cost but replaced it himself.

Either way, it means that in two cases the firmware allegedly DAMAGED the printer based upon those reports.  

Please note that my original posting was carefully worded to qualify that based upon whether those reports are accurate.  But I have no reason to dispute their accuracy.  Do you?

For those of you who so violently objected to my summary, how would you feel if you had to pay to repair the Z3100 printer after it was allegedly damaged by HP's own firmware download?

Yes, I called that incompetence on the part of HP -- if, as I said, it was in fact caused by the firmware and the hardware failure was not a simple coincidence.  But the latter is unlikely since the same thing, involving the same exact part, happened to two different individuals.

(3)  This forum, IMHO, has increasingly become an outlet for those who only wish to defend HP.  And if you dare call it like it is -- that it is incompetence for HP firmware to allegedly damage an HP printer -- you are accused of rants and suggestions are made that your comments be censored.

On top of that, any forum that thinks it is acceptable for posters to get free equipment, not disclose that fact, and then post positive reviews, is doing a serious disservice to those who read that forum.

If a moderator is needed, it is to enforce basic ethical conduct, and those who post reviews based on free equipment -- and do not disclose that fact -- crossed over that line long ago.

That is what you should focus on.  That is a basic ethical standard, and that is what you need a moderator to enforce.

Not to advocate that someone should be censored who states the obvious -- that it is, in fact, incompetence when firmware is reported to cause hardware failures, and when there is no evidence that those reports were inaccurate or that the hardware failure was a coincidence.

When someone has to pay to repair a printer when it is damaged by HP's own software, well that is an open and shut case.

Except, of course, for those who want to censor any criticism of HP, while applauding rave reviews from those who receive free equipment and don't disclose that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:16:08 am by marty m »

Roscolo

« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2008, 02:16:20 am »

Everyone on these forums is pretty tolerant, but lately the phrase "broken record" comes to mind. I never expected a moderator to censor anyone. I just thought a moderator could perhaps prevent you from embarrassing yourself further.

namartinnz

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2008, 04:09:17 am »

Just adding a comment for those with early Z3100 machines. Mine was made Dec 10 2006. With the new firmware upgrade everything is running fine. I do use an earlier version of the HP printing utility as I didn't like the way it was setting up the page printing options.

Neal

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2008, 06:43:36 am »

Quote from: Shutterbug2006
All of computer equipment in my shop are connected on a LAN, and I have a DSL modem attached. I have setup the printer to email me accounting reports after each print job.

If you dial into the printer IP address in your web browser, goto Setup, under CONFIGURATION click Printer Settings. Under Accounting, enable Send Accounting Files. Under Send Accounting Files To enter your real email address that you currently receive emails through. For Send Accounting Files Every, set it to 1.

Then under CONFIGURATION click E-mail Server. Enter the SMTP server IP address here, if you don't know it, contact your Internet Service Provider or network guru. My provider is Telus and the true SMTP server I use for incoming and outgoing mail is mail.svc.telus.net so using the Forward DNS Lookup tool found at http://www.lookupserver.com/ it provides me with the correct IP address to fill in these blanks. For Printer Email Address, I just made one up. I receive emails from this made up address and have my Outlook Express set with a rule to pop all of these into a Printer Reports folder I created under my Inbox. Works like a charm.

PS I downloaded the new firmware from the link as provided, dialed into my printer using a web browser,  clicked on Setup, and chose Firmware update under Maintenance and bingo bango, everything went smoothly. All is well. Did not lose my job queue or my accounting.
Ah hah I knew there was a way.   I should have used the DNS look up for the smtp.
Do you have to open outgoing ports though through the router/router's firewall?

Charles Gast

« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2008, 07:54:17 am »

Quote from: marty m
Jim:

Why don't you respond to the point instead of engaging in name calling?

Whoa, Marty!  Jim wasn't name calling  *I* was !

Charles Gast

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2008, 08:05:50 am »

If you have had a relatively easy way to go with your z3100 (and possibly now a 3200 *oh and maybe even an el-freebo one*) then you are lucky and likely to have noooooo problem remaining calm.  
How many posts on this forum pertaining to z3100 problems and HP support derangement?  
How many posts involving endless Epson problems and support?  Go back and look. Just look at the current page!  
Most of it is stuff HP engineers could address if the execs allowed them the time. Its the higher ups at HP that think its OK for this kind of thing to go on and on.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:15:00 am by Charles Gast »

Larry Adamache

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2008, 02:26:41 pm »

LOL...   We REALLY could benefit from a moderator.

Now, back to the firmware...Anyone running the new firmware on XP 64 or Vista 64?

Yup, on Vista Ultimate 64 for over a week, but only 20 or so prints on HP Pro Satin and Breathing Color canvas so far.  No install problems, no run problems, no printer utility problems yet.  This is a 3 week old printer, made in June 2008.

Having a slight problem with printer not grabbing the paper easily (I need to keep pushing the paper in for the printer to grab it).  Don't know whether this is a result of the new firmware or the installation of the new pinch wheels and starwheels, likely the latter.  Just a minor inconvenience.

Larry

rwheat

• http://www.westernlandscapes.com.au
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2008, 06:57:00 am »

Are there problems with the new firmware - or is it just my printer?

Since upgrading to v7 firmware, I have had to pull the plug on my Z3100 twice - once when the front panel stopped responding to input, and today when it got stuck at the point where it usually runs its rollers to auto correct paper skew on loading (I raised the lever - and it said please wait ...).

Neither of these issues has ever happened before.

Anyone else having lock up issues since upgrading?

Thanks,
Richard.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2008, 09:56:32 am »

No problems at all here.

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2008, 05:38:28 pm »

Quote from: Sunny Kelly
I just got off the phone with HP and they are telling me, after going through all the steps, that apparently I need a new' formatter'. I bought this thing in March this year and they are telling me that my warranty expires today(thought it was yesterday), I thoght that the warranty was for 1 year next day service.

Yes your warranty should be for 1 year. Quite often HP have a supply date (which is to their distributor - i./e. whom you bought it off) - and the warranty runs from that supply date. Which is way before you actually bought it. It's quite easily solved, call the HP VALIDATIONS DEPARTMENT and tell them what date you purchased the printer. You will need to email/fax your purchase invoice over. From there they update their records and you get a proper 12 months.

Shutterbug2006

« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2008, 11:58:05 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
Ah hah I knew there was a way.   I should have used the DNS look up for the smtp.
Do you have to open outgoing ports though through the router/router's firewall?

No I didn't have to do anything else to get it to work.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up