Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New canon 800mm lens vs. 600mm  (Read 3794 times)

michaelnotar

New canon 800mm lens vs. 600mm
« on: September 04, 2008, 03:17:28 am »

nikon has had a 800/5.6 lens out for a while, canon just joined them with their release. i am curious to know how they justify offering it...it especially for so much..? not trying to say they are irrational,  or that everything needs to be, i have toys, i enjoy toys, i buy them often... i have a canon 600/4 and with a 1.4x i get an 840 5.6 that still has great optics. many pros, especially bird and wildlife photos have tele-converters, so it seems like it would be hard to sell the 800mm lens.
thanks

telyt

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:03:26 am »

nikon has had a 800/5.6 lens out for a while, canon just joined them with their release. i am curious to know how they justify offering it...it especially for so much..? not trying to say they are irrational,  or that everything needs to be, i have toys, i enjoy toys, i buy them often... i have a canon 600/4 and with a 1.4x i get an 840 5.6 that still has great optics. many pros, especially bird and wildlife photos have tele-converters, so it seems like it would be hard to sell the 800mm lens.
thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Many bird photographers say you can never have too long a lens.  I disagree, but that's beside the point.  No matter how many extenders you have, start with a longer prime and you have more reach.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
[a href=\"http://www.wildlightphoto.com]http://www.wildlightphoto.com[/url]

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:17:49 am »

They never had any problems selling the FD800 f5.6L!

Apart from nature photography the main market is sports. They have sold 6 here in Sydney since the release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up