Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editting compressed Leaf MOS files in ACR  (Read 7848 times)

jing q

• we are super
Editting compressed Leaf MOS files in ACR
« on: September 03, 2008, 11:46:50 pm »

A recent trick I just found out...
Usually when saving Leaf files are compressed MOS, I need to decompress them in Leaf Raw Converter before they're viewable in Adobe Camera Raw.
Recently I recompressed the MOS files using LRC into compressed MOS again and was surprised to see they were still editable in ACR.

Not sure if this is something people already know but I thought I would just throw it out there. Helps to save quite abit of storage space

yaya

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 01:37:19 am »

A recent trick I just found out...
Usually when saving Leaf files are compressed MOS, I need to decompress them in Leaf Raw Converter before they're viewable in Adobe Camera Raw.
Recently I recompressed the MOS files using LRC into compressed MOS again and was surprised to see they were still editable in ACR.

Not sure if this is something people already know but I thought I would just throw it out there. Helps to save quite abit of storage space
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219342\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jing you also have an option to shoot compressed (lossless) when tethered which will also help in saving space

Yair

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:03:11 am »

On Mac OS X the only compressed files not showing up is when you shoot on the card.
The tethered compressed open up even in preview and tumbnails.
I converted my whole catalogue to compressed, saved me loads of space.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 08:15:21 am »

Jing you also have an option to shoot compressed (lossless) when tethered which will also help in saving space

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi Yair yup I know but those files needed to be converted in the Raw Converter before I could view it in ACR

might be something to do with the files that I shoot to card, or may be a windows thing?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:16:04 am by jing q »

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 01:57:05 pm »

hi Yair yup I know but those files needed to be converted in the Raw Converter before I could view it in ACR

might be something to do with the files that I shoot to card, or may be a windows thing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219405\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You have just discovered what is for me about the most inconvenient feature of the Leaf.  

It drives me crazy that I have to re-compress every job so that I can edit my files in Lightroom or another adobe app.  As it happens, even in Raw Developer where you can at least see the files, there is a warning that you should re-compress them before doing serious work to get the best quality.

At least LC11 provides a decent way of doing this, it was even more frustrating before.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:57:18 pm by free1000 »
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

snickgrr

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 02:26:10 pm »

You don't have to shoot compressed on the card.  Yes, it lowers how many files fit onto the card but no one is forcing you to shoot compressed.  You just need to decide on which end  the decision will lay.  On the front, you have to either download more frequent or carry more cards.  On the back end, you have to take time to uncompress.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:49:36 pm by snickgrr »

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 02:45:08 pm »

I don't see the problem, you can recompress in seconds per file.
And it saves ALOT of space.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:13:03 pm »

You don't have to shoot compressed on the card.  Yes, it lowers how many files fit onto the card but no one is forcing you to shoot compressed.  You just need to decide on which end  the decision will lay.  On the front, you have to either download more frequent or carry more cards.  On the back end, you have to take time to uncompress.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The benefit of shooting compressed is that the files save to the card faster.
Also I feel that I get less errors when shooting compressed ( I get a few shots with the files corrupted while shooting...half magenta half green)

it is quite inconvenient. Isn't there a way for the compressed Leaf files to be compatible with ACR right off the bat, especially since it's possible to edit the files after having decompressed and recompressed them?

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 02:38:54 am »

I know about the buffer.

I think the reason for this is that some information like the calfile settings are not stored it is added when you shoot to the leaf software and recompress in the software that's probarbly why on the card the files are even smaller but most of all faser.

For me that's a tradeoff I'm more than willing to take

Than again that's my idea I'm not a leaf tech so I could be wrong but I think that's the reason they don't open in acr.

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 02:12:01 pm »

You don't have to shoot compressed on the card.  Yes, it lowers how many files fit onto the card but no one is forcing you to shoot compressed.  You just need to decide on which end  the decision will lay.  On the front, you have to either download more frequent or carry more cards.  On the back end, you have to take time to uncompress.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dead right.

But work has to be done somewhere. If I want RAW to take up less space on my back end file system I have to either

1) Compress the files on the workstation if they were shot uncompressed.
2) Recompress the files on the workstation if they were shot uncompressed.

I'm sure there is a deeply technical reason why this is so, but its nevertheless annoying. Clearly other people are happy with undertaking this additional step in the workflow, or like owning 40% more hard drives than is necessary. I'm not one of them.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 04:03:53 am »

Just to let people know of a serious error I encountered while recompressing:
I opened Leaf Capture 11.1 for Windows to view the recompressed files, and closed Leaf Capture 11.1
Now when I try to view the files they refused to be recognised in ACR or Leaf Capture 11.1.

I can't move the files or copy them or even delete them because windows tells me that Cannot Delete xxxx.mos:Access is Denied

I have 600 files that are non-functional right now.

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 04:21:36 am »

Just to let people know of a serious error I encountered while recompressing:
I opened Leaf Capture 11.1 for Windows to view the recompressed files, and closed Leaf Capture 11.1
Now when I try to view the files they refused to be recognised in ACR or Leaf Capture 11.1.

I can't move the files or copy them or even delete them because windows tells me that Cannot Delete xxxx.mos:Access is Denied

I have 600 files that are non-functional right now.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219788\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When access is denied, it means that the file is being used by some process/program in the background. If you know which process, you can use Task Manager to end it. Or reboot. EndItAll is a good program to have. It will tell you which programs are running in the background, in addition to the obviously open ones.

Cheers,
Kumar

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 06:38:06 am »

Holy CRAP
I nearly died from that shock earlier on.
I found out what the bug was that was preventing me from accessing the files.

I had accidentally moved the files to the LeafDB folder, which was the cause of the problem.
Turns out that something screws up when you move files to that folder, it has specific Security and Sharing settings in Windows that prevents files in that folder from being adjusted/moved/anything!

I had to change the Security and Sharing to allow my login username to have full access to the files.

THANK GOD.
Hopefully no one has to deal with this sort of heart attack ever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up