Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Studio lighting and vendors  (Read 2586 times)

Pete Ferling

Studio lighting and vendors
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:23:22 pm »

Had a flood in the floor above my studio over the weekend.  Both of my Balcar 3200 Jets and four flash heads were trashed.  I'm seeking to replace the entire kit.  Balcar no longer ships to the US.

Question 1: My company has new rules regarding the need for three seperate quotes from three seperate sources.  All I can think of is either Calumet and B&H in philly.  Can anyone recommended a reputable third vendor here in the US?

Question 2: Calumet recommended Bowens 3000 with E11 heads, and B&H quoted me on Profoto Acute 2 2400s with D4 lamps.  I've read some reports of poor quality and slow repairs on the Bowens.  I need some good quality modeling/flash systems comparable to old Jet 3200s.  Anyone have some suggestions?  Thanks.

Pete Ferling

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:11:51 am »

Samy's

Midwest Photo Exchange

Dynalite radio packs and 4040 heads are solid pack lights. Repaired in the US. Cheaper and equal quality light as Bowens and Profoto. Main thing is what does the studio shoot and to what extent are unique modifiers needed? Profoto has the largest collection of modifiers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219337\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks John.  I'll check both vendors mentioned, and look into the Dynalites as well.  I think the profotos, from what I've read so far, are a good deal.  I do mostly product shots, and my main concern white backdrops and having decent separation so the designers can apply their masks and incorporate into their layouts.

Occasionally I will do beauty shots, portraits and anything else the marketing folks want for their ads.  It's nice to have a flexible system.

Dansk

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:54:40 am »

Agreed with most of the above especiall the comment regarding profoto mono's they are not all that great IMO. The flash tubes are mounted in different positions than profoto heads making the effect of some diffusers different ( eg beauty dish ) and they dont pack as much punch as they advertise. Elinchrome make the best in biz mono heads in my expreience PLUS you can use their uber cool software to control the individual head power levels through your computer making awkward or elevated lights easier to adjust.

I do prefer the profoto pack/head system the best over the others. Lots of support wherever you go. Tough, light, consistent pops and stable color temps especially over time. Speedo float like mad in this regard but they are tough as nails and will last forever.

Pete Ferling

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 04:25:57 pm »

Agreed with most of the above especiall the comment regarding profoto mono's they are not all that great IMO. The flash tubes are mounted in different positions than profoto heads making the effect of some diffusers different ( eg beauty dish ) and they dont pack as much punch as they advertise. Elinchrome make the best in biz mono heads in my expreience PLUS you can use their uber cool software to control the individual head power levels through your computer making awkward or elevated lights easier to adjust.

I do prefer the profoto pack/head system the best over the others. Lots of support wherever you go. Tough, light, consistent pops and stable color temps especially over time. Speedo float like mad in this regard but they are tough as nails and will last forever.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219448\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm going with Acute 2 2400s and d4 heads.  Midwest has the lowest quote, (even beating BH).  Everyone except Calumet suggest the Acutes without hesitation.  A direct replacement for the Balcar 3200s would be the Acute 4800, and at $8K a pop, overkill.  Balcar made good product with the Jet 3200.  A shame, I really liked them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up